4/3 to R

Leitzfan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Does anyone know of a 4/3 or Micro-4/3 to M or L (or R) adapter?  There are plenty of M to 4/3 or Mirco-4/3 adapters (to use your M glass on the many 4/3, Micro-4/3 cameras); but I can’t find adapters that allow you to go the other way (i.e., use the many 4/3 or Micro-4/3 lenses on an M, L or R Leica camera).  I have some nice 4/3 lenses (e.g., Leica D lenses) that I’d love to use on my Leica CL or R cameras, but can’t for lack of an adapter...  Thanks in advance!

There are a couple of reasons why those adapters don't exist.

First,  the image circle of FT and MFT lenses is smaller than APS-C sensors,and hence also smaller than 35mm full frame. The lenses will thus vignette (in fact, very severely, you will get an image circle surrounded by black).

Second, with the possible exception of FT (but not MFT) lenses on Leica L, you would not be able to focus to infinity. The flange distance for Leica R and Leica L are 47mm and 19mm, respectively. Those for FT and MFT, 38.7mm and 19.25mm. Leica R is thus always out of the question - it would be like putting a macro extension tube between lens and body. FT and Leica L would be possible, but you still have the image circle problem. MFT on Leica L would require an impossibly thin adapter - 0.25mm - and you would still have the vignetting issue. 

• Like 1

There are a couple of reasons why those adapters don't exist.

First,  the image circle of FT and MFT lenses is smaller than APS-C sensors,and hence also smaller than 35mm full frame. The lenses will thus vignette (in fact, very severely, you will get an image circle surrounded by black).

Second, with the possible exception of FT (but not MFT) lenses on Leica L, you would not be able to focus to infinity. The flange distance for Leica R and Leica L are 47mm and 19mm, respectively. Those for FT and MFT, 38.7mm and 19.25mm. Leica R is thus always out of the question - it would be like putting a macro extension tube between lens and body. FT and Leica L would be possible, but you still have the image circle problem. MFT on Leica L would require an impossibly thin adapter - 0.25mm - and you would still have the vignetting issue. 

Thanks for the well-thought-out reply.  I needed someone, who understood the math, to do the math & explain it to me in a manner that my liberal arts mind could understand it.  Thank you for the excellent due diligence.  I may now rest easy in the knowledge that no such adapter exists (or can exist), & for good reason.

Thus Leica’s claim that, “The [digital] CL can accommodate “virtually” all Leica lenses ever made,” is hedged a little, as it can’t accommodate the very nice Leica ‘D’ 4/3 lenses.  But this doesn’t detract one bit from the CL’s immense versatility.  Leica really “hit it out of the park” w/ the CL, & I can see it becoming my new favorite camera.  Thanks again–well explained.

P.S.  I spent lots of time in Athens (‘00 - ‘03) when I was dating a very nice girl who was pursuing her Ph.D. @ UGA, back then.  Mellow Mushroom, The Globe, etc.  What a wonderful town.  Love that town–'ah, the memories'...

Edited by Leitzfan