Artifact in new S(007) photos

mgrayson3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Greetings All,

My damaged S(006) ended up getting upgraded to an S(007). While pixel peeping trying (almost successfully) to convince myself that the new sensor is as "good" as the old one (aside from its obvious advantages in ISO and DR, and given that it's probably Adobe Lightroom default settings that make the difference, the 006 files are just better at base ISO... but I digress). As I was saying - I noticed cyan vertical lines in the new images about 1750 pixels in from the left edge. What's odd is that they are only present where there is detail along a line. Otherwise, there is no sign of it. But it is present in any photo that has something going on:

26478002698_2fd2ce7d14.jpg

38539382770_ab591d2fc7_o.jpg

39637774624_53c735362e_o.jpg

Does the sensor need remapping? Does the camera need to go back?

Thanks,

Matt

Edited by mgrayson3

It might be an artifact created by the original mapping. I would definitely send the files to Leica.

Agreed. Now, who is Leica? The store where I picked up the camera? The NJ repair center? Someone in Wetzlar? I'll research this, but if you have an actual email address, I would be grateful.

Best,

Matt

Matt

I had issues with a 2 month old S007 and after sending it to Berlin it was replaced with a new one. While it was in Germany I was given a loner from leica Malaysia. All in all a very god experience and great customer care

Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wetzlar wants the camera back, but my local Leica store (where I got the camera) wants to send it to NJ. Has ANYONE had a good experience with NJ? I want my lenses updated, too, and that, AFAIK, is a Wetzlar-only service.

--Matt

Matt,

I would suspect that your dealer would send it to NJ, and then NJ would then send it on to Wetzlar. That's how it worked for me when repair for camera and lenses was needed. Everything went back together. I would think loaners would be supplied in the interim as well.

Hope it goes smoothly.

Richard

• Like 1

Richard,

Thank you. It’s the famous delay of NJ repair. Sending things directly to Wetzlar leads to timely response. Adding Allendale to the loop can add months to the process. They have never returned a single call or email I’ve sent them. When the local store just called them, they were told “everyone is at a conference “ which is what I’ve been told every time as well.

That’s why I’m asking for good experiences. I’ve only heard (and experienced) nightmares.

Best,

Matt

Richard,

Thank you. It’s the famous delay of NJ repair. Sending things directly to Wetzlar leads to timely response. Adding Allendale to the loop can add months to the process. They have never returned a single call or email I’ve sent them. When the local store just called them, they were told “everyone is at a conference “ which is what I’ve been told every time as well.

That’s why I’m asking for good experiences. I’ve only heard (and experienced) nightmares.

Best,

Matt

Actually, my stuff did not go to the repair facility, it was sent to a Leica US rep in NJ my dealer contacted, so I think it bypassed the repair people entirely. NJ was simply a drop ship point to go directly to Wetzlar.

Edited by rsmphoto
  • Like 1

MGrayson3,  When my S007 had similar issues, I would ask Wetzlar Customer Care for a UPS shipping label.  In the past, they would email me the label, UPS would pick up the parcel after I called UPS and ask for a pickup and it went to Wetzlar. Or you can drop it off at the UPS Store.  I most highly recommend you NOT send ANY Leica S equipment to NJ.  They cannot repair it there anyways and would only delay transshipment.  Leica NJ Repair Center has been a disaster for 2+ years after repeated attempts by Leica Germany to get the NJ center back up to speed via training and sending teams to repair the huge backlog.  My experience with Wetzlar Customer Care from both the US direct and Australia has been superb.  Good luck.  r/ Mark

Edited by LeicaR10
  • Like 1

Leica has already offered me a loaner camera while mine is being fixed, but the store (Leica Store SoHo) is trying to get me a new body instead. The lenses are on their way to Wetzlar for AF upgrade, and I can't be more pleased with how helpful everyone - Thomas Schmidt in Wetzlar, John Kreidler here, and Craig at the SoHo store - has been.

I have an 006 body and Contax glass, so I can keep going no matter what. I'll let you all know how it works out.

Best,

Matt

Edited by mgrayson3
  • Like 3

The story concludes: Leica Store SoHo simply replaced the body. The new one is fine (as far as I can tell). So I didn't need to use the loaner that Leica NJ offered me. All in all, excellent customer care!

And with magnified Live View, the Contax 120 APO Macro really shines.

A happy Leica service story,

Matt

• Like 5