M7 Leicavit DX problem solved

MRJohn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A while ago I had my M7 upgraded (for free) to the new DX system. While the old one never gave me problems I thought I would take the opportunity of an adjustment at Leica to have it done for free. - Upon return I started to have problems with the DX reading, it would often show the wrong ISO. It took me a while to figure out that it was associated with the Leicavit being mounted. When comparing the normal baseplate with the Leicavit mounting screw I noticed that the normal baseplate has a distance ring of about 1 mm which the Leicavit did not have. This 1 mm apparently made all the difference as it pushes the film case a bit higher. The friendly Leica person in Nidau fixed the Leicavit in 5 minutes by applying a distance ring. Done, works. Just thought I make a note in the forum in case somebody else has a similar issue.

• Like 5

I do not know for sure, but it seems that the old one sometimes caused problems, so later versions of the M7 had a modified DX reader which was offered as a free upgrade to those who have the old version. - I did it as a preventive measure as I, like you, also did not have any issues with the old one - so, no benefit, just precautionary.