Strap for Hiking

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Leica CL owners,

I will be hiking in Scotland this summer and need a strap for my CL during our hikes. As I need and have the grip on it, I have lost the tripod connector and cannot use my beloved BlackRapid strap on it.

Ideas from others that have hiked with the CL with handgrip?

Thx a million,

I've put Peak Design loops on mine and either use the Leash (neck strap) or Cuff (hand strap) depending on what I need.

The Cuff is a bit long so I removed the sliding mechanism and fixed it permanently as short as possible. 

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 2

What do you think about that solution instead of a strap? I did 2 weeks hiking on La Palma (Canarian Islands) with that bumbag and it was perfect with the 18 or 23 lenses. The handgrip on the CL may fit also in it.

The advantage is, that the CL is every time ready to grab out, it prevents from dust if you close it and it doesn´t dangle during hiking. So the Cl couldn´t be scratched at rocks at some difficult parts of the hikes.

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/280804-mit-der-cl-auf-la-palma/

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by AndreasB
  • Like 4

I use a Peak Designs camera clip for my CL. One side of it is clamped onto my rucksack strap, and the other side goes onto the tripod socket on the camera. They then snap together very securely. One advantage of this clip is that you can get an Arca Swiss compatible version so it also acts as a tripod mounting plate (assuming your have an Arca Swiss compatible tripod mount).

Used this way, I loop my camera strap around my neck and then clip the camera into the PD mount on my rucksack strap. I can get at it really easily, and have the added security that I won’t drop the camera once it’s unclipped.

Here’s a pic of my M10 in the same setup from before my purchase of the CL. No problem with either camera from a weight perspective (obviously the CL is lighter).

20170305-IMG_0764.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Team CL,

Thighslapper, will your rig stay in place while hiking up and down and on rocks?

LocalHero and Tobers, don't I need a tripod socket to screw in the plate?  If so, with the grip, I have no tripod socket available.

Andreas B, the fanny pack looks great but with the 18-56 zoom and grip, will it fit?  I may need to look into these.

Any other ideas?

Thanks, Ed

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Andreas B, the fanny pack looks great but with the 18-56 zoom and grip, will it fit?  I may need to look into these.

In the outdoor shops are plenty of sizes of fanny packs available. The 18-56 is not much larger than the 23. The next bigger size would fit. If the lens fits, the grip may be no problem. I love this solution because the CL is very protected under my stomach in every situation... Also sometimes its nice not to show your equipment all the time.

• Like 1

Hi Team CL,

Thighslapper, will your rig stay in place while hiking up and down and on rocks?

LocalHero and Tobers, don't I need a tripod socket to screw in the plate? If so, with the grip, I have no tripod socket available.

Andreas B, the fanny pack looks great but with the 18-56 zoom and grip, will it fit? I may need to look into these.

Any other ideas?

Thanks, Ed

Yes, you need a tripod socket for the Clip. I don't use a grip so it's not a problem for me.

Edited by LocalHero1953

The Peak design loops are made of the same stuff as my archery bowstrings ..... they have ridiculously high breaking strengths ..... and the loop clips on the straps will never come loose by accident.

Far safer than anything screwed into a tripod attachment ...... or traditional split rings for that matter ...... and removing/attaching strap etc takes seconds. 

Why not just a Peak Design Slide Lite....wel that said I have one but prefer a strap with less width :)

I have used Peak Design Slide Lite for my Q, Fuji645, MA, and M4 and now for the CL (sent the Q off today) .... went hiking in Zion, Bryce, and Grand Canyon and found those to be great straps. Easily and quickly adjustable so I could hike with a couple of cameras at different levels, one front one slung to the back, whatever worked. I know the other leather straps are a lot more fanciful, but these are much more functional.

• Like 1

I have a Peakdesign Slide and also the Slide Lite. I much prefer the larger one. The weight is better spread on your neck and it is so comfortable. I can also very easily change its length thanks to the stramp clamp and switch it from by nexk to a "right shoulder to left hip position" when want free hands and be in a more restful motion. Of course...for more casual outings in the city etc. I go with the Lite one.

In my experience, standard straps are not suitable when hiking. The camera has to be fixed to the body to avoid the camera swinging/banging into the body (and the hands should be free). At the same time access to the camera has to be easy and quick. And, in bad weather, the camera should be somewhat protected. For me, this means putting the camera with the lens heading down, in a small pouch. The pouch has a strap diagonally over one shoulder, and it is fixed to the body via the hip strap of the backpack (or similar). It only takes a few seconds to pick up the camera to be ready to shoot. I use a waist strap on the body, but this is my preference for the Ms, the SL and CL I have/have had. During a (say) 5-10 hr hike, the camera is (typically) most of the time in the pouch, ready to be used, without affecting the walking. This holds for alpine hiking/climbing as well.

Let me add that I almost always use hiking poles. But I would keep the camera in a pouch as described above, irrespective of the use of poles.

I don't do terribly aggressive hiking, but I either carry the camera in one hand with the strap coiled several times around my wrist, or across my chest with the strap passing over one shoulder and around the opposite side so that the camera is held relatively tight.  I don't use hiking poles.

• 3 weeks later...

I use a Peak Designs camera clip for my CL. One side of it is clamped onto my rucksack strap, and the other side goes onto the tripod socket on the camera. They then snap together very securely. One advantage of this clip is that you can get an Arca Swiss compatible version so it also acts as a tripod mounting plate (assuming your have an Arca Swiss compatible tripod mount).

Used this way, I loop my camera strap around my neck and then clip the camera into the PD mount on my rucksack strap. I can get at it really easily, and have the added security that I won’t drop the camera once it’s unclipped.

Here’s a pic of my M10 in the same setup from before my purchase of the CL. No problem with either camera from a weight perspective (obviously the CL is lighter).

20170305-IMG_0764.jpg

For hiking the main point is not to have your neck and shoulder carry the weight of the camera (which can get tiring soon). Best is to attach it to the backpack so that the camera weight gets distributed with backpack weight, that is spread all over your back. The Peak Design camera clip falls in that category and I have seen many people in the back country using it. I have also tried it for a short time but ultimately I stopped using it. I had two issues. i) the weight of the clip system itself was equivalent to one light lens. I would rather carry extra lens than a clip system. ii) The weight on the strap still didn't balance right for M240 (CL may be different, being lighter) to my satisfaction. I am very picky about backpack comfort while hiking. For others it may be ok.

Finally I have settled on an alternate method to carry my camera where it hangs from top of the backpack attached by a lightweight carabiner on the side using regular straps. This allows the weight to be distributed more evenly at the same time giving me access to the camera all the time. See the following post for pictorial description.

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/255505-is-that-an-m240/?p=2976120

There are already some nice threads for carrying M while hiking. Search it up.

• 4 months later...

Just a wee addition, I too use the peak system, leash strap and camera clip like the pictures show but I discovered peak make a mini plate for the capture clip that fits the CL much better than the standard one and doesn’t ‘overhang’ the base.......well worth getting for the CL ,

As before, peak design is ,in my opinion, the safest out there

20170305-IMG_0764.jpg

Be careful with strapping hard objects like a camera near your chest. If you fall, you can easily break or bruise a rib. If so, laughing and sneezing will hurt for a month...