Thorsten Overgaard and the TL2

RickP

• 2 years later...

Thank you. I like them all. While the CL hasn't been my primary love, I believe the concept has a great future with a few adjustments: People who has the camera seem to like it very much.

I have Leica M as my primary cameras, and Q, TL, SL, D-Lux and more as temptations that sometimes fulfill purposes for specific things. The SL is great for video and studio stills, and as such it gets a lot of use now. 

16 hours ago, Overgaard said:

Thank you. I like them all. While the CL hasn't been my primary love, I believe the concept has a great future with a few adjustments: People who has the camera seem to like it very much.

I have Leica M as my primary cameras, and Q, TL, SL, D-Lux and more as temptations that sometimes fulfill purposes for specific things. The SL is great for video and studio stills, and as such it gets a lot of use now. 

Do the TL2 and CL not have the same sensor?

Ergonomics would be the difference, although the TL2 has the feel of some substance that the CL lacks, in my opinion.

The CL with the SL2's EVF would be something! 

I was drawn to the T/TL/TL2 when the T came out, but after handling it and experimenting a bit, decided against. When the CL came out and I looked at it, it felt right to me ... I was using the M-D 262 at the time, had just sold my SL system, and the CL fit my need for a TTL camera for macro and tabletop work. Once I had the CL for a half a year, I found I'd stopped using the M-D entirely: the CL simply does what I want in this type of camera better, for me. I decided since the M-D still had good value that it was time to sell it ... I did, netted a good return from the sale, and put the money towards the Hasselblad that I had ordered.

I currently don't have a digital M, just my evergreen M4-2 of 1978 vintage. No particular motivation right now, the CL is still fulfilling what I want in this type of camera, but I suspect that I'll buy another digital M at some point ... perhaps the M10-D or M10-M. 

G

"Equipment is transitory. Photographs endure."

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Well, Red Dot Cameras have today posted a new TL2 to me, due to arrive tomorrow. I'm very much looking forward to receiving it, and my decision was swayed by T.O's review. It will complement my M9 Monochrom. I'll need to buy an adapter to use my M lenses, but have ordered the 11-23 zoom to come with the TL2. If I ever have money again, I'll get the EVF and the macro lens, though that is expensive (though cheaper than an M equivalent). 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 8/5/2020 at 1:49 PM, RobM said:

Well, Red Dot Cameras have today posted a new TL2 to me, due to arrive tomorrow. I'm very much looking forward to receiving it, and my decision was swayed by T.O's review. It will complement my M9 Monochrom. I'll need to buy an adapter to use my M lenses, but have ordered the 11-23 zoom to come with the TL2. If I ever have money again, I'll get the EVF and the macro lens, though that is expensive (though cheaper than an M equivalent). 

TL2 is a work of art and a fine camera in the hand.

The EVF is a pre-requisite for M lenses as the focus magnification/peaking is difficult to see on the LCD. Low level viewing with 11-23 and tilted EVF is also a great feature.

Yes, I'll get the EVF some day. 

The TL2 arrived with the 11-23 zoom. It all seems to work as it should, early test shots are promising. I've shot so long now with b&w (the M9 Monochrom and b&w film) that colour is "Wow, how can I control THIS?!" Lol. But I want to use colour for some things. I like the Natural rendering best of all so far. 

Compared to the Monochrom, the TL2 is really light, so much so I was disappointed at first, but I think I'll get used to it. The image quality is pretty much as good as it gets, so no complaints there. The menu system is fairly straight forward, taking only an hour to really understand. It's odd not having an aperture ring, but again I'll get used to that. The lens is very high quality. 

So far I am happy. Thank you, Thorsten, for turning me on to this camera!