Finally I'm a CL owner

Marac

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks to Red Dot Cameras I now have myself a CL. I decided long and hard and finally gave up my M stuff (M9 & 28/35/50 E55 Tri)

I was finding it very hard to hit focus with my knackered eyes on the RF so I moved them on.

New CL with new 11-23 lens and a used Summilux 35mm should keep me going for now took some snaps on the way home so I wil post them in the pic thread.

Not had a chance to really shoot with it yet but will do soon and post more photos.

Thank you.

• Like 10

Me too. I couldn’t handle the Manual focus due to health issues as well. Leica timing on the CL for me was perfect. I would suggest the 18-56 if you are looking for your next lens.

Thanks, I think the next lens for me will either be the 23 Cron or the APO 55-135.

I secretly own an Olympus Pen F with 12-40 and 40-150 pro lenses, and the 1.4x so I'm very well covered with another ultra light system. The 2x crop factor is not an issue for me, the prints from it are wonderful.

I am very happy to have 2 cameras that take the same battery system, big bonus for me.

The CL and the Q are my travel cameras when I fancy a nice walk around the Lakes or Scotland. The Olympus set is for wildlife, zoo's and birds and also if I am going into deep dark territory's where I may encounter theft or damage. 

• Like 1

Sadly, along with weaker eyesight, less steady hands is another common symptom of aging, so it's a shame the CL doesn't offer image stabilisation. 

After the announcement of the Fuji X-H1 yesterday I believe Leica is the only mirrorless company not offering image stabilization.  A huge strategic mistake IMO.

• Like 1

Thanks, I think the next lens for me will either be the 23 Cron or the APO 55-135.

I secretly own an Olympus Pen F with 12-40 and 40-150 pro lenses, and the 1.4x so I'm very well covered with another ultra light system. The 2x crop factor is not an issue for me, the prints from it are wonderful.

I am very happy to have 2 cameras that take the same battery system, big bonus for me.

The CL and the Q are my travel cameras when I fancy a nice walk around the Lakes or Scotland. The Olympus set is for wildlife, zoo's and birds and also if I am going into deep dark territory's where I may encounter theft or damage. 

also have a look at the 60mm :)

Strategic mistake?  I don't agree.  Strategic decision is how I see it.  Leaving out in-camera OIS gives us a choice between a body the size of the Fuji X-H1 and the CL.  Foregone OIS resulting in a smaller, lighter body is an attractive compromise for some.  I think the same is true for lenses.  It's good to have options.

Edited by mctuomey
  • Like 1

Congrats!!! I also have just ordered a CL to replace my TL2.  I liked the design of the TL2, but the external EVF didn't really work for me.  In any case, my M240 is getting less and less use these days.  I should sell it, but for now, it's tough to let go!

Sure, Fuji has those, bodies with and without IBIS.  Leica doesn't...

What is your point?  That Leica should produce and market aps-c bodies as Fuji does?  Not likely to happen. 

As I said, Leica's decision to forego IBIS in the CL is not necessarily a mistake.  IBIS and OIS make bodies and lenses larger and heavier.  Some want light and small as a priority.   Ergo the CL. 

The difference in size between the Fuji X-T2/1 and the new X-H1 with IBIS is considerable.  If the CL had IBIS and was correspondingly larger like the X-H1 is to the X-T2, I'd be less interested in the CL.

Anyway, I prefer image stabilization in the lens, where I can choose it as an option, and for longer lenses where it is more relevant and is more effective than in-camera stabilization.

Edited by mctuomey
  • Like 1

It seems Ironic, I just saw a Leica TL 18-56 ASPH on eBay for £740, said Mint, also said 30 returns, no hood. 

Seems like the prices of the TL lenses are pretty depressed - I picked up an 18-56 (mint condition with box/hood/papers for under £600.

Edited by rajeshr

Under £600, that has to be bargain of the year... well done you.

I couldn't resist the temptation so I grabbed the lens from eBay, hahaha, I think it was a decent price for a decent lens, the reviews seem to favour the IQ but mock the price (what's new there). will be with me by Tuesday so I can test it myself :)

Here is a snap with the Summilux.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1