New Leica SL Firmware V 3.1 released

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica has just released a new Leica SL firmware.

Most important topic is the autofocus improvement in speed and accuracy with the Leica Summilux-SL 1:1.4/50 ASPH.

The overall color balance under certain light situations for JPG files was improved too.

• Like 5

Yup ...... it's a lot quicker and low light performance better ... much less hunting (absent apart from blank almost no contrast areas).... now it's closer to the 75/2 in terms of performance.

Going from 0.8m to infinity isn't 'fast' ..... but moving between intermediate distances is zippy. Also seems quieter and smoother. 

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 2

Yup ...... it's a lot quicker and low light performance better.

Never thought we would see the day :) I figured if it didn’t happen with 3.0 it wouldn’t happen.

Is the AF inprovement specific to the 50 or a global change??

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yup ...... it's a lot quicker and low light performance better..... now it's close to the 75/2

Going from 0.8m to infinity isn't 'fast' ..... but moving between intermediate distances is zippy. 

I'm not familiar with the 75, do you have any thoughts compared to the 24-90 zoom?

Well...... with the 24-90 AF is so quick it is unnoticeable and seems like magic.

75/2 has a noticeable delay when going from 0.8m to 5m or so, but for subjects within the main 3 ranges, near, mid and far any delay is hardly noticeable. 

If anything the 50 seems a bit quicker when changing between near and far distance.

They are all quick enough for me, but others may have much more rigorous requirements ....  :rolleyes:

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 2

My 50SL is focusing noticeably quicker, testing around the house in less than ideal light conditions. Seems particularly faster focusing from far to close objects (from 5m to 1m lets say).

I hope that this improvement was not done in detriment of accuracy, I usually shoot at f1.4 and accuracy is way more important for me.

Edited by carlosgavina
  • Like 1

My 50SL is focusing noticeably quicker, testing around the house in less than ideal light conditions. Seems particularly faster focusing from far to close objects (from 5m to 1m lets say).

I hope that this improvement was not done in detriment of accuracy, I usually shoot at f1.4 and accuracy is way more important for me.

I love the 50... it is SO GOOD!!!

If the AF speed is better... it will be amazing!!

Is there any reason to upgrade to 3.1 if you never shoot JPEGs, use the SL zooms, and M primes on the SL only? Like I do. Any unnamed bugs squashed?

Who knows??

There may be other improvements that they aren't talking about. You could certainly wait and see if there any bugs.

I can't wait to get home from work and see what the 50 can do now :)

Edited by Donzo98
  • Like 1

Is there any reason to upgrade to 3.1 if you never shoot JPEGs, use the SL zooms, and M primes on the SL only? Like I do. Any unnamed bugs squashed?

The official blurb only mentions jpg's and the SL 50. 

I doubt if anything else significant is included ......

• Like 1