Leica R f/2.8 35mm Elmarit-R

ShivaYash

Before you ask, here is the focus "bonus" ;):

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/275034-35mm-elmarit-r-iii-min-focus-beyond-min-focus-mark/

...if that's your lens to come.

More infos in Wiki:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/35mm_f/2.8_Elmarit-R_II

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/35mm_f/2.8_Elmarit-R_III

My choice since 1990's is Summicron-R 2/35 II:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/35mm_f/2_Summicron-R_II

see comments and links there...

Edited by a.noctilux

I have the earlier version Summicron R 35 which is a lovely lens, although quite a heavy lump of glass! I remember a while ago, a pro (can't remember who but a photojournalist) who moved from Leica to Nikon saying he kept a Leica R body just to use this lens with.

I also have the Summicron 50 which is compact and relatively light.

Can't really go wrong with any of the above.

According to E Puts, the second version had "all metal mounts and a small change in the optical prescription with a tiny air space between 2nd and 3rd elements." 11101 has Series 6 filters, 11201 is two-cam and Series 7 filters.

The one I have is from the last batch of Series III, takes E55 filters and has a built-in hood.  To quote Erwin again - "Close up performance is excellent and if this is the required application, the Elmarit should be preferred over the Summicron-R 35mm."

• Like 1

According to E Puts, the second version had "all metal mounts and a small change in the optical prescription with a tiny air space between 2nd and 3rd elements." 11101 has Series 6 filters, 11201 is two-cam and Series 7 filters.

The one I have is from the last batch of Series III, takes E55 filters and has a built-in hood. To quote Erwin again - "Close up performance is excellent and if this is the required application, the Elmarit should be preferred over the Summicron-R 35mm."

And all versions will work (mount) on the R6.2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And all versions will work (mount) on the R6.2?

In principle, yes, as long as they have the R-cam. Early models produced for the Leicaflex and Leicaflex SL, SL2 did not have that R-cam, but it could be retrofitted, so just make sure the R-cam is present.

In principle, yes, as long as they have the R-cam. Early models produced for the Leicaflex and Leicaflex SL, SL2 did not have that R-cam, but it could be retrofitted, so just make sure the R-cam is present.

What does this R cam look like?

What does this R cam look like?

Here's one I prepared earlier...   ;)   AFAIK, this is a 3-cam.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Here's another illustration: First is a 3-cam 35mm Summicron. The two silver cams are true "cams" with a sloping surface. The original Leicaflex used one of them, the LeicaflexSL used only the added 2nd cam, and the LeicaflexSL2 used both of the sloping cams.

The R-cam (needed for R bodies) is harder to see - a thin stepped "cam" just inside the silver cam on the left in this picture:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

You can see it clearer in this lens, which is an "R-cam only" 50 Summicron I got with my R4. I circled the cam to make its location obvious. All of the R bodies only need the R-cam, but it won't give aperture information to any of the Leicaflex models.

Edited by TomB_tx
  • Like 1

Both Elmarit R 35 II and III are excellent lenses I have used. They have quite different character just like 50mm Cron I and II. Elmarit 35 II has superb built, nice shape, smooth tone rendering and vintage look in the image. The III has sharper image and more contrast. Definitively it has a modern look. If I choose one now, I go for the II though I actually own a III.