Change to a 0.58 viewfinder

omllr

The easiest way is trading your M6 TTL 0.72 for the same with 0.58 .

While the change of VF mag may be costy, you'd be without your M6 for sometime.

In your place, I'd search for a 0.58 M6TTL, buy it and compare using with your lenses then decide if it suites you better.

Another idea is using an correction diopter but that is individual solution if you can live with or not.

Leica gave me one an estimate of € 800,- I don't know if it's still the case, this was about 5 years ago. But I would not go to 0,58 again. I had a 0,72 + 0,85+ a 0,58 and the last one was the first to go. On a 35mm lens  it doesn't make things better IMHO. If you would use only 28 or 24 it would be worth while maybe. 

Leica now charge €800 for a CLA. A viewfinder swap will cost substantially more because they will also want to include a CLA as part of the same job. My guess is that Leica will want to charge more than the current market value of a good condition 0.58x M6TTL. I agree with the advice that buying a 0.58x will be much more cost effective and quicker.

• Like 2

A 35 on 0.58 viewfinder is a real treat. It looks about the same as a 50 on a 0.72. Even without glasses, I do appreciate the extra space around the 35mm frame lines. As a glasses wearer, I suspect you would find the 0.58 very comfortable in use.

The 0.58 M6 TTL is widely available, sometimes even as new old stock. If 35 is your main focal length, you would do well to acquire one.

Enjoy

J :)

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A 35 on 0.58 viewfinder is a real treat. It looks about the same as a 50 on a 0.72. Even without glasses, I do appreciate the extra space around the 35mm frame lines. As a glasses wearer, I suspect you would find the 0.58 very comfortable in use.

The 0.58 M6 TTL is widely available, sometimes even as new old stock. If 35 is your main focal length, you would do well to acquire one.

Enjoy

J :)

Agree. As I wear glasses and prefer the 35mm fov the 0.58 vf is perfect. I just wish my M240 had the 0.58.

I specified the 0.58 VF when I ordered my MP ALC a few years ago precisely because, as a spectacle wearer, I intended (and do) use it with 28mm and 35mm lenses. The frame-lines for both are easily visible and the camera/lens combinations a delight to use.  Agree with the advice re buying an M6 0.58.

Edited by Keith (M)

Agree. As I wear glasses and prefer the 35mm fov the 0.58 vf is perfect. I just wish my M240 had the 0.58.

I disagree a little, with the 0,58.  ,  I also wear glasses, it's a tiny bit more difficult to focus right. The reason I did not use the 0,58 less than the other camera's was this difficulty with the 50 and the 35mm. It was IMHO not worth to keep it. I think it's more useful to focus sharp and correct, than to have the comfortability of the view. IMHO the viewfinder has it's borders, but one can live with it with the 0,72.

I switched from a 0.72x MP to an a la cart 0.58x MP few years ago and I find it much easier to use 35/28 lenses.

I was concerned that focusing will be problematic with 50mm and longer lenses, but surprisingly I found that this is not the case. I use it regularly with an f1 Noctilux and a 90mm Macro-Elmar. So for me the 0.58x works great and would not go back to a higher magnification. 

I switched from a 0.72x MP to an a la cart 0.58x MP few years ago and I find it much easier to use 35/28 lenses.

I was concerned that focusing will be problematic with 50mm and longer lenses, but surprisingly I found that this is not the case. I use it regularly with an f1 Noctilux and a 90mm Macro-Elmar. So for me the 0.58x works great and would not go back to a higher magnification. 

I thought that it was theorethical impossible to focus right with a 0,58 and a noctilux 1,0 ? Every shot has an uncertainty. With a Macro Elmar you still have the F4.0  which disguises these problems a bit...

I thought that it was theorethical impossible to focus right with a 0,58 and a noctilux 1,0 ?

No, the 50 Noctilux F1 is well within the theoretical limits of the 0.58x RF. In practice, field curvature, focus shift, miscalibration, focus and recompose errors, etc. may all come into play and make accurate focus a crapshoot but the same applies to the 0.72x.

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 2