Convince Me That I Need APO 50 Cron

B-A-C

Advertisement (gone after registration)

...at f/2, Apo-Summicron-M 50 Asph resolution scores 2788 lines, at f/4, 3842. Summilux-M 50 Asph at f/2, 2935, at f/4, 4200 lines.

So even though you actually owned both lenses and hence, would have been able to make a comparison on your own behalf, you got rid of the superior lens due to someone else's screwed-up test report!? :o

It's even worse than I thought ...

But then, if you cannot tell a good lens from a better one then you certainly don't need an Apo-Summicron-M 50 Asph.

• Like 3

A clearer comparison is performed at Lens Rentals by Roger Cicala. He lists the readings as center/middle/edges at ƒ/2. The 50 Summilux resolves remarkably high on center but short of the APO's peak numbers as well as that of the Sigma 50/1.4 ART. Whether the difference is even meaningful in real-life shooting, I am dubious. Having owned both, the raw numbers are but half the story. Very different look, part of that being the high contrast in the narrow plane of focus compared with the OOF areas, along with an absence of field curvature. The bokeh is virtually character-less and thus unobtrusive; for the Noctilux and to a lesser extent for the Summilux, it may be the main attraction. At full resolution on a good monitor or a print, the clarity of the APO's image, especially at ƒ/2, is something to behold.

NOTE: the chart has the non-APO 50 even in resolution across the frame; I wrote to Roger who said that was a typographical error but it seems his staff never corrected it.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by james.liam
  • Like 1