Convince Me That I Need APO 50 Cron

B-A-C

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The one criticism of the APO I would make would be its hood.

While the mechanics of the hood is clever (rotates out and locks), it is a tad too short. Messr. von Overgaard is presently selling vented hoods for the lens which seems of an ideal size.

Cheap 39mm screw-in vented hoods can be found on eBay and work too.

• Like 1

Hi

Do I need this lens ? NO! if you are an film M user. Do I need it if I am a digital M user? PERHAPS!

Do I own this lens YES! I have owned a 50LUX and I replaced it by the 50AA. Realy booth are great lenses. YES the handling with the 50LUX is better but It is bigger on the other side. From a Image quality of view? Differences are, in my opinion, very very small. My lens was in Wetzlar 2 times for flare. For "normal" application a classic CRON or a PLANAR are cheaper and good options.

I tried to compare the "boked" of different 50 lenses, here are some images https://siggigun.wordpress.com/2015/04/25/bokeh-bei-blende-2-0/

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

APO lenses have been around far longer than digital sensors. Their benefit is realized on film as much as on digital sensors. An APO lens better focuses all 3 primary colors on the same plane than a non APO lens. This results in less aberrations.

The 50 Summilux ASPH has been said to actually also be an APO design but Leica never deemed it as such.

In any comparison I have ever seen between the Summilux and the 50 APO, I have seen hardly any difference whatsoever between the two other than the fact that the 50 APO seems to handle edges a slight bit better.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to own the 50AA, but at twice the price? Not sure its performance is double that of the Summilux.

Edited by jay968
  • Like 2

I have the 50 APO. And v5 Summicron.

Edge to edge sharpness / no field curvature / higher contrast / richer colours are the key benefits of the 50 APO.

Resolution in the centre on low megapixel cameras like the M240 / M10 look near identical at (say) f5.6, however.

In contrast, i DO see resolution benefits that are apparent on the M246 Monochrom due its non-Bayer sensor (ie effectively much higher resolution sensor). The Monochrom and 50 APO is an incredibly lossless chain when it comes to detail capture. Quite extraordinary for large prints, in fact.

Finally I partly see the 50 APO as being beneficial when higher resolution colour cameras (whether SL or M) eventually emerge, even if benefits to centre resolution on low resolution 24mp colour cameras is currently de minimis.

• Like 2

All,

I love this forum and the info you all provide.

Edited ........ Also - does anyone know after what serial number the flare problem was fixed? Thanks!

Greetings. Here are the three reasons to buy the APO. Firstly, we only live once. Secondly, it is that good (and it will shine more on the Monochrom). And thirdly, you can. Enjoy in good health.

Had the 50 lux asph and the 50 Elmar-M which had the same look to me on comparable f-stops. Sold both to get the 50 APO, main difference to me is the smooth bokeh of the 50 apo, found the behaviour of the other two mentiond lenses busy in comaprison. Maybe the 50 apo is a little more perfect in other Terms but that's not important. If you once have it you always have the good feeling that you can grab the best lens arround. Still I like playing around with other older 50ies. I dislike the Hood of the 50 apo, don't need the speed of the 50 lux, miss the compact size of the 50 Elmar-M (chrome version has better building finsh). You can't have enough 50ies so don't make that mistake and sell the 50 apo if you once have it, the loss of money hurts. 

I'm going to stay with the Lux for now. It's just so good for me on film. In the future I can see splurging for the APO, perhaps with a Monochrom.

B-A-C,

This is a very good decision, particularly, if you are in your forties—you still have time to consider. If you are like me in mid sixties, then, I am not so sure. Mind you, the Summilux is a superb lens and should give you many, many long years of wonderful service. Enjoy in good health.

• Like 1

Agree with ibramr’s comments. This is not a need rather than an enjoyment affordability balance.

Being retired and over 70, decided this month to upgrade and enjoy/enhance my photography. Yes a IIIf and M user since early 1970s.

First traded in M240 for M10. There were some nice enhancements including focusing and Viso improvements. Also missed option to see what each lens covers due to my frequent concert pics from a fixed position with varying ensembles.

Then began reading reviews again about the 50 APO and thought “what the heck.” So traded in my pristine 50 Lux and mint 50 Summicron (current lens formula but original design with box). Loved the Lux having not much use for 50s until bought this one new several years ago. It changed my views of the 50. Oh APO was a year old in mint condition. Net outlay reasonable.

Having only shot a few concerts thus far am delighted with the APO and the M10. Photos have improved and getting many compliments didn’t get before. Credit both the M10 and APO.

Lux was wonderful. APO just special. Using it gives me more confidence and enjoyment. Priceless,

• Like 2

i had both,apo50 and asph50/1,4 ,sold apo50, keep summilux it is same sharp at f2 ,sharper at f4 and has better bokeh

If the Summilux were in fact "same sharp" at ƒ/2 and sharper at ƒ/4 with "better bokeh", Leica would never have bothered with the APO in the first place. 

Your contentions are incorrect (sharpness) and subjective ('bokeh').

• Like 1

https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2422556,00.asp at f2 apo50 resolution scores 2788 lines,at f4-3842 ,summilux at f2- 2935,,at f4 4200lines

https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2416453,00.asp

Sorry, but I think you are comparing peak (center) sharpness of the Summilux with the sharpness averaged over the frame for the Summicron APO. In the first article ‚about 2300 lines‘ are mentioned for the Summilux and in the original one ‚only’ 2080 lines. Thus, the APO is way superior in average sharpness!

I agree that the bokeh might be more pleasing (dreamy) with the Summilux (also a question of taste). However, one also cannot neglect the much(!) higher contrast and unsurpassed clarity of the focused part of an APO image.

I have to admit that this is my impression based on only about 50 photos with both lenses. However, just look at the photos of Sean Sweeney on Flickr and you will immediately notice the difference! It is even more pronounced in reality.

That said, I am still not sure if I should opt to buy the APO as I am currently loving portrait photography. This may benefit more from the Summilux or even Noctilux!?

Edited by FrankX
  • Like 1

Sorry, but I think you are comparing peak (center) sharpness of the Summilux with the sharpness averaged over the frame for the Summicron APO. In the first article ‚about 2300 lines‘ are mentioned for the Summilux and in the original one ‚only’ 2080 lines. Thus, the APO is way superior in average sharpness!

I agree that the bokeh might be more pleasing (dreamy) with the Summilux (also a question of taste). However, one also cannot neglect the much(!) higher contrast and unsurpassed clarity of the focused part of an APO image.

I have to admit that this is my impression based on only about 50 photos with both lenses. However, just look at the photos of Sean Sweeney on Flickr and you will immediately notice the difference! It is even more pronounced in reality.

That said, I am still not sure if I should opt to buy the APO as I am currently loving portrait photography. This may benefit more from the Summilux or even Noctilux!?

I have to admit that this is my impression based on only about 50 photos with both lenses. However, just look at the photos of Sean Sweeney on Flickr and you will immediately notice the difference! It is even mbore pronounced in reality.

im comparing center sharpness and summilux are sharper at every aperture vs apo50,even at f1.4 summilux score 2514 lines ,im never need corner sharpness,so sold apo50 and keep summilux on m9 or cl cameras Edited by leonasj