Csacwp

Buying/developing film in Africa

There is a reasonable chance I am going to have to relocate to Tanzania or Cameroon, and I’m curious about film sales in such places. Is it worth continuing to shoot film, or should I switch entirely to digital?

As long as the post is reliable (not always the case in Africa, for sure), then online purchase may be best whilst there. You could also buy bulk film and 'roll your own', a few bulk rolls in the hand luggage could last a long time and you could restock if you take the occasional trip. Look into 'tropical' developers (or just use a cooled water bath) if hand developing B&W, of course, C-41 no issue...

Use post. I buy my film from Thailand on eBay. Find something in a shop nearby.

Find a developer site locally...or post it, or develop your own.

It all works.

There is a reasonable chance I am going to have to relocate to Tanzania or Cameroon, and I’m curious about film sales in such places. Is it worth continuing to shoot film, or should I switch entirely to digital?

I've been to Cameroon (I used to live next door in Equatorial Guinea). Generally courier services work very well. I doubt if you will find local supplies in any sustainable, or processing services, so may need to import chemicals, too.

Lean on expat mates to bring back photo goodies when they go home on break, too.

Don't miss the opportunity to shoot film, though, even if you have to wait to go out on leave to resupply.

Arusha is a fairly good size city. I'd be surprised if you can't find film, even processing, there. Out in the bush forget about it. 

Send a PM to StuNY and ask if he knows, as he has likely been there and can tell you firsthand.

In Nigeria there was simply nowhere to get camera gear of any kind. If I left the country, photographers would all start calling me to bring them back everything from camera bags to darkroom chemicals.