Stone cold in Avebury

lincoln_m

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Stone cold Sunday in February at Avebury Circle Wiltshire England.

TMAX100 35mmF2 Asph @f4

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9

TMAX100 50mmF2 @F2 M7

• Like 5

Yes 40 years is not likely to show much change for something 5000 years old. The stones survive but the ground and embankments are under constant erosion from rain and visitors walking around taking photos. Avebury stone circle and West Kennet Long Barrow provide a tangible link back to the Neolithic. Sort of time travel back 5000 years only 30mins from Swindon.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm perplexed why some of the great mechanical marvels moving big stones, for example, aren't documented at the time.

Particularly the pyramids...there are plenty of hieroglyphics, everything from what they ate to chariot design. But not a mention anywhere of how these enormous pyramids were built. Perhaps the information has just been lost or destroyed. Or how the Vikings built their boats?

Sure there's lots of conjecture...the same as guessing really.

PS please excuse me Lincoln for being a bit off topic, perhaps.

Very nice picture, and a lovely rock. How did they move those things? Has Stonehenge been understood yet...not looking for utube opinions.. ;)

These particular stones didn't come far. Fyfield Down, where hundreds of these sarsens lie naturally, is only a mile or so away. They are admittedly quite heavy :D  but moving them has been shown to be fairly straightforward with sufficient manpower and logs, etc. Nearby Silbury Hill is probably the greater mystery.

• Like 1

Nearby Silbury Hill is probably the greater mystery.

I remember climbing Silbury Hill one Christmas day many years ago. Its one of those sites for which I've never seen a thorough explanation - although I know that its been examined a couple of times. If I remember correctly the man power and time it took to build are extraordinary especially given local population levels at the time.

• Like 1

These questions are on topic as far as I'm concerned. 

I thought the theory was that Silbury Hill had a UFO hidden underneath :)

For Stone Henge they couldn't make it again today, especially not with just rolling the stones on logs. If it was really done by Stone Age people that suggests a time of cooperation between tribes with probably everyone involved from South Wales to Salisbury. A 200 year project shows great foresight for a community, we'd be lucky if Council planning looks forward more that 2 years today.

Pyramid construction plans and documentation, where is it? David that's a really good question. Why didn't the builder have it chiseled on the wall on the shaft down to the chamber? Maybe it was written on the side of the blocks not showing on the outside?

My feeling is that they were more in touch with the earth in those days and todays radio waves and electrical signals and fast moving transport , people and audible noise makes it very difficult to hear or feel what's happening under the ground. I don't really know what Lay-Lines are or if they really exist other than magnetic rocks and underground rivers. But in today's modern world we are no longer connected to nature in a quiet way. I'm saying that as an Electronic Engineer.

All I know is that I do feel better when spending some quite time with my camera at the many White Horses, Long Barrows and stone monuments in this area and around the UK.

Stone Rows on Dartmoor. Castlerigg stone circle at Keswick. There are many others in Scotland that I haven't been to but would like to.

• Like 3

I lived not that far away from Avebury back in the '70s - doesn't look like its changed - even the signs are the same!

I went back to Avebury last September after not being there for... maybe 20 years. There used to be a nice veggie place (subtly) called "Stones".  It has in fact changed a lot. Before, you could freely walk anywhere. Now there is a massive and very expensive car park and it seems that most of the stones, in the village are surrounded by fences. I didn't even bother to go any further.

Most of, if not all, the stones are on open access land but the National Trust (in their usual fussy way) have closed a few of the gates in recent weeks to discourage people walking around in some of the boggier areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by wattsy

Most of, if not all, the stones are on open access land but the National Trust (in their usual fussy way) have closed a few of the gates in recent weeks to discourage people walking around in some of the boggier areas.

They tried a similar thing in Snowdonia. They built paths where they wanted people to walk to prevent erosion problems - but it doesn't work and eventually you have to build paths where people actually do walk (often 'short cuts') to deal with the consequent erosion which is taking place.

• Like 1

Dave, I know what you mean. I think the last time I saw Stonehenge I took a pic through the chain link fence. It was weird seeing a slow moving queue of people walking around in a circle like in an art gallery but as you say about 50m away. I went to Woodhenge up the road instead.

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/woodhenge/?utm_source=Google%20Business&utm_campaign=Local%20Listings&utm_medium=Google%20Business%20Profiles&utm_content=woodhenge

Grrrh! Today at Avebury. The monument is practically closed. The West Kennet Avenue is closed, gates locked with big chains. Only the inner stones are accessible. So annoying on the first day of sunshine in 4 months.

I have an idea for English Heritage, "Perhaps don't graze sheep on the monument so the grass isn't so short it gets turned to mud when visitors walk on the grass" I've seen them they always go for the new green stuff and not the old straw tufty grass. There are also many mole hills all over the site. But I guess humans (who built the place 6000 years ago) obey closed gates and single roped off areas where as sheep would just ignore the signs and eat the green grass.

Grass won't start growing properly until March so it might have to stay closed off until April to recover fully. I'll probably have to avoid it until summer now.

• Like 2