Long Exposures with the MM1 (60-240 sec.)

DirkR440

My Monochrom just came back from Leica with a new sensor, and I've gotten an ND filter.  It's my first time using an ND filter, and I don't know why I've waited so long. Yesterday evening I took this rain shot of the pier behind my home.  I'm going to experiment further with the ND filter, and feeling excited about it.

For the poets in the house:

A solemn downpour on the pier this evening, rain drops on wood and surf, thousands of tiny splashes dancing their way into my heart... 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by wilfredo
  • Like 6

A good experiment, Wilfredo, but I'm not too happy about the result. To me it looks like the jetty is sinking into quicksand; it might be better to retain some movement in the water.

It was definitely pouring, and I was able to take the shot from a location with a small ceiling overhead.  The light was quickly disappearing.  I posted the picture with hardly any PP, but I decided to tweak it a bit to give it a bit more contrast.  I can see Jaap's point about the water looking like quick sand, it looks surreal, nevertheless I enjoy the artistic effect, and the mood it creates. If it looks like quick sand, so be it!  I'm looking forward to more experimentation with the ND filter.  

Cheers!

Edited by wilfredo
  • Like 5

On a rainy stormy day somewhere in the Bronx...

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 2/26/2018 at 11:49 AM, DirkR440 said:

a picture that I took yesterday in Ho Chi Minh City. I arrived a bit late at my position, so it was already getting dark. But with the 6 stop ND filter on the 

Tri-Elmar I still managed to get one picture:

Ho Chi Minh City by Dirk Raffel, auf Flickr

OMGG I love the feeling of being on the other side watching the landscape and those lights!

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

1st try with long exposure with MM1

• Like 3

I’ve been doing this off and on as well. Both of these were shot on the same day from nearly the same vantage point in the Barnacle State Park in Coconut Grove, a neighborhood in Miami, Florida, USA. The pier was damaged in Hurricane Irma and had not yet been repaired. The second is of another pier immediately to the right that also had not yet been repaired and a sail boat moored to it. 

Each shot was about 250 seconds in duration. I used a red filter, a 6-stop and a 10-stop ND filters as well, all stacked on a 50mm Summicron at f/8. ISO was set to 400. I also draped a black cloth over the camera to avoid any light leakage, which I have experienced before. 

Edited by AceVentura1986
  • Like 4