Long Exposures with the MM1 (60-240 sec.)

DirkR440

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, 

I love to do long exposures with my MM1. That is also the main reason why I haven't done the upgrade to the MM2.

It is a lot of work, it takes a lot of time but I like the results that I get from the MM1.

Here is one from London for example:

24782768607_fe81eb2e8b_b.jpgLondon Eye by Dirk Raffel, auf Flickr

• Like 12

My typical exposure is 1/250sec or faster so what i write is from memory so stand corrected.

I though M9-M9M and M240-M246 behave the same when trying to make long exposure, i.e. ISO limited with maximum exposure capped to 1 or 2 minutes (60 or 120 seconds) at minimum ISO, dropping to mere seconds as ISO is increased.

Only digital Leica that allows long exposure, up to 30 minutes plus B  (bulb) is SL601.  All Leica's share common drawback, in camera noise reduction for exposure over 1 second, this takes as long as  original exposure. 

Edit: Included B(bulb) for SL601.

Edited by mmradman

I have now checked manuals for both M9M and M246.

M9 & M9M can expose up to 240sec while M240 & M246 are limited up to 60sec.  Also long exposure with M240/246 is ISO limited. 

For anyone wanting exposures longer than 1 minute M9/M9M is the way to go.  Again all Leica digital cameras do in camera noise reduction effectively doubling the exposure time between the successive shots. 

I seem to remember the X-Pro 2 behaves in the same way, so it's not limited to Leica digital cameras.

Nice photos !!

Noise reduction and lack of ability to disable it is well documented issue with Leica digital cameras. For the premium we pay for Leica over next digital camera we would expect option to disable noise reduction. Having said that personally I am not much bothered as 8 seconds is pretty much longest exposure i ever took with digital Leica that returned picture i was happy with, also longest exposure i had patience for.  I did try but I was put off but noise reduction and couldn't be bothered to try it further, i accepted camera limitation with long exposure photography and enjoy what it gives me,  i wouldn't mind 1/8000 sec on M246 type camera.

Now, noise reduction may be the case with Fuji but not so with Nikon DSLRs. That is my experience with D700 / D300 with CMOS and D200 with CCD sensor.  I would image other cameras like Canon DSLR are ready for next shot as soon as exposure is complete.  

I've not done a lot of long exposure shots on my MM1, but its nice to have the feature. This one was, I think, a minute and a half, with a 6 stop ND filter on a 28mm Summicron ASPH. F11 - had to clone out a lot of black dots.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 10

Whisky distillery, Glasgow. M Monochrom mk1, 28mm Summicron ASPH mk1. I checked the EXIF data on this file, and it was 32 seconds.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9