Westlicht

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My g/f has a simple rule with my cameras:

If i can pay my bills on time, take her out once in a while, and have enough $$ towards vacation, I can have some fun money.  

Right now my fun money is set on a small goodie.

(Side note, she's been naming my cameras.  She named my L-Flex "Uberweiss" after this scene in friends

• 2 weeks later...

Leica 0-Series, 1923, no. 122

Sold for €2,100,000

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

This was my favorite:

http://www.auction2000.se/auk/w.MegaPic?inC=WLPA&inA=20170531_1638&inO=38&inSO=1

Though someone beat my bid by a few €...

What did it go for? You can console yourself with the thought that even if you had bid a bit more, the other buyer might well have still trumped your bid. 

Wilson

What did it go for? You can console yourself with the thought that even if you had bid a bit more, the other buyer might well have still trumped your bid. 

Wilson

Sold for €54,000. The €2,400,000 for the Null Series was a world record price for a camera (in excess of $2.9 mn  for our American friends). There were a lot of other high prices paid, including some in six figures  such as the €540,000 paid for an M3 prototype. The prices are very buoyant just now for top end Leica items. I picked up an item myself, but I had to bid a lot harder than would have been the case 12 months ago. Many here will have seen the value of their collections appreciate as a result of today's auction.

William

• Like 1

Sold for €54,000. The €2,400,000 for the Null Series was a world record price for a camera (in excess of $2.9 mn  for our American friends). There were a lot of other high prices paid, including some in six figures  such as the €540,000 paid for an M3 prototype. The prices are very buoyant just now for top end Leica items. I picked up an item myself, but I had to bid a lot harder than would have been the case 12 months ago. Many here will have seen the value of their collections appreciate as a result of today's auction.

William

:)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)

Well, the original (I hope for the bidder that it is) should look like its replica.

Well... would be a scandal if a concern which, directly or next to, is owned by Leica co., should sell an indecent fake at a stellar price,,, B)

(whoever is the winner... :p )

Edited by luigi bertolotti

William

I agree 100%

• Like 1

People like me, who made somewhat snide comments about the red anodised M and APO Summicron are rather left with egg on our faces. What I don't understand is why someone paid more for just the lens rather than the whole red camera with lens (€54,000 against €48,000). 

Wilson

People like me, who made somewhat snide comments about the red anodised M and APO Summicron are rather left with egg on our faces. What I don't understand is why someone paid more for just the lens rather than the whole red camera with lens (€54,000 against €48,000). 

Wilson

I can't explain the lens conundrum. I still would not buy this type of thing at whatever price it was offered. If I were offered a choice/present of something else at the same price, I would take the little half frame camera linked above.

From an investment point of view, the hideous red M with APO has proven to be a good one for somebody. There is no accounting for taste and there may indeed be a market for such items. However, if the market were to be 'flooded' with such red items the price would soon go South.

William

Edited by willeica
  • Like 1

Wilson

I can't explain the lens conundrum. I still would not buy this type of thing at whatever price it was offered. If I were offered a choice/present of something else at the same price, I would take the little half frame camera linked above.

From an investment point of view, the hideous red M with APO has proven to be a good one for somebody. There is no accounting for taste and there may indeed be a market for such items. However, if the market were to be 'flooded' with such red items the price would soon go South.

William

Maybe because each of the two bidders wanted the non-prototype limited edition lens and for the possible reason that the SN filled an important (for each of them) gap in their collection? The non-prototype lens was first released in 2016; the camera was first released in 2017. 

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

I bought an R3 from one of the SAS auctions, bidding online. It was described as being in good condition, shutter working.

When I got it I found that it wasn't fitted with batteries so the 'shutter working' was the mechanical speed they have. I opened the battery chamber worried I'd find a leaked battery but instead I found an empty battery chamber with no contacts! I managed to get it working by using a paperclip which managed to make contact with the part inside the camera!

It wasn't too bad a deal as it came with an ERC and a Tamron lens which had the correct Leica R adapter (which was worth more than I paid for the lot).

Moral of the story is I won't buy from such an auction again unless I can be there in person to inspect the items.

I bought an R3 from one of the SAS auctions, bidding online. It was described as being in good condition, shutter working.

When I got it I found that it wasn't fitted with batteries so the 'shutter working' was the mechanical speed they have. I opened the battery chamber worried I'd find a leaked battery but instead I found an empty battery chamber with no contacts! I managed to get it working by using a paperclip which managed to make contact with the part inside the camera!

It wasn't too bad a deal as it came with an ERC and a Tamron lens which had the correct Leica R adapter (which was worth more than I paid for the lot).

Moral of the story is I won't buy from such an auction again unless I can be there in person to inspect the items.

WestLicht Auction is not 'such an auction' … it has a reputation to maintain. 

dunk 

dunk 

Agreed. I think that you are right about the awful red camera/lens, which obviously appeals to some wealthy collectors. The lens on its own was part of a numbered limited edition, whereas the other lens came with a prototype. I noticed that, but I did not give it much thought as from a collector perspective I have no interest in digital models. I only use them as tools. There were a lot of much more interesting items sold at Westlicht yesterday. The strategy of streamlining auction sales, with the top end going to Westlicht and the more bread and butter models going to Rahn seems to be working. Dr Kaufmann, who effectively owns both operations now, was present at yesterday's auction.

William

dunk

Indeed. A few years back (as I told the LUF back then) they did the unthinkable, for an auction, and allowed me to return two items that I won, when I complained that both arrived not in working condition.