Sony A9 making me rethink Leica Setup - any A9 owners?

dancook

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Aimed at those interested in the A9

Last night I shot them at an event, I was so gleeful I nearly burst into song...

The eye tracking c-af is amazing, so fast to find target - shooting wide open @ 1.4 all the time was a breeze.

I could get focus on my way to a new subject, then side step around until I had a better angle and be ready to take the photo at any time

https://danielcook.photoshelter.com/gallery/CFS-Annual-Celebration-2018/G0000Lgv_ON3w5nw

Password: cfs-guest-view

40761414672_730dbaba7b_b.jpgcfs by dancook1982, on Flickr

Edited by dancook
  • Like 8

Last night I shot them at an event, I was so gleeful I nearly burst into song...

The eye tracking c-af is amazing, so fast to find target - shooting wide open @ 1.4 all the time was a breeze.

I could get focus on my way to a new subject, then side step around until I had a better angle and be ready to take the photo at any time

https://danielcook.photoshelter.com/gallery/CFS-Annual-Celebration-2018/G0000Lgv_ON3w5nw

Password: cfs-guest-view

40761414672_730dbaba7b_b.jpgcfs by dancook1982, on Flickr

An excellent example of horses for courses ;)

• Like 2

PERFECT man... very smart of you to realize you needed a better tool.

Great work...

Edited by Donzo98
  • Like 2

PERFECT man... very smart of you to realize you needed a better tool.

Great work...

"better tool" you can't just say these things in these parts ;)

I shot choir and orchestra tonight in theatre. Obviously silent shutter is a huge plus, but so was highlight metering.

• Like 2

"better tool" you can't just say these things in these parts ;)

I shot choir and orchestra tonight in theatre. Obviously silent shutter is a huge plus, but so was highlight metering.

I love the IQ of the SL with the Leica glass. I am a hobbyist. I don't need that crazy fast AF (although I would like it). I love my pics...

When Leica introduces the next SL... maybe it will be as good as Sony in terms of AF.

How does the EVF compare to the SL? I have heard it is not as nice...

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This does give Leica a look at what professionals need. I believe they already know but it's still a good example and reminder of the process we go through while the work is rolling in.

I still think it's to a large extend a matter of much more grunt needed at the CPU level to process all that information as well refining the AF algorithms to solve Dan's problem (which is solved with an A9 ;) ). The SL EVF refreshing probably contributed to the load on the maestro chip. So I'm hopeful that future chips will do the trick of dialing up the AF/ EVF performance.

On the other hand, a more power hungry chip or a pair of chips will suck up battery power like a sponge. I don't think most of us will like that. 

• Like 4

They are all excellent examples of event photography, and its something I too am familiar with, and I prefer manual focus in these occasions as can be seen in your examples above, no one is moving at all, the guests are standing about and chatting etc so a few years ago I decided that auto focus was a solution to a problem that wasnt really a problem and now shoot all my work (300+ corporate shoots a year and about 20 weddings) with manual lenses. Of course its important that each photographer chooses the kit best suited to their style but perhaps that's less to do with the choice of camera (A9 or SL) but more how they prefer to shoot, manual focus, auto focus, back button focus etc. Perhaps as I came from Canon 1DX's my auto focussing experience was less positive and even my transition year with Sony A7II's wasnt stellar on that front either,

Great photography btw Dan, the client will be very happy

• Like 4

I love the IQ of the SL with the Leica glass. I am a hobbyist. I don't need that crazy fast AF (although I would like it). I love my pics...

When Leica introduces the next SL... maybe it will be as good as Sony in terms of AF.

How does the EVF compare to the SL? I have heard it is not as nice...

No EVF is as nice as the SL. When I can I use tilt LCD screen a lot with the A9.

This leads me to shoot people events from about chest height, similar to how I do street photography

• Like 2

Now the SL body has sold I should leave now I guess, but here's a few more from the A9 - in those dog on white snow 'tricky conditions'

39983348265_b05d7beb33_b.jpgFree Cocaine by dancook1982, on Flickr

39983709705_40ac3a56a7_b.jpgDSC07258 by dancook1982, on Flickr

I don't typically photograph birds, but I could enjoy it

40135144224_a635e36080_b.jpg- 3 by dancook1982, on Flickr

40801823122_14df60cffd_b.jpg- 2 by dancook1982, on Flickr

40135144654_676cb5f69c_b.jpg- 1 by dancook1982, on Flickr

Edited by dancook
  • Like 12

Honestly...

After testing the A9 this week, I'm tempted to do the same. I prefer almost everything about the SL but the AF performance, eye AF and IBIS are absolutely outrageously good on the A9.

Gordon

Tell us all about it please :) I really want to go check it out as well...

I just LOVE the SL glass though...

Honestly...

After testing the A9 this week, I'm tempted to do the same. I prefer almost everything about the SL but the AF performance, eye AF and IBIS are absolutely outrageously good on the A9.

Gordon

I'm quite sure I would be impressed as well ...... but would the 0.1% of occasions when I need what it can do that the SL can't justify dumping it and all the great lenses ...... or duplicating gear with yet another system ??? 

I somehow doubt it. It is very easy to get tempted by 'must have' capabilities and then tend to ignore the implementation of the basic everyday stuff. I don't do sports and only dabble in wildlife so the trade off's just don't add up...... same with Fuji and HB medium format ..... something I would like but don't actually need ...... and the sacrifice would not be worth it. 

• Like 6

I'm quite sure I would be impressed as well ...... but would the 0.1% of occasions when I need what it can do that the SL can't justify dumping it and all the great lenses ...... or duplicating gear with yet another system ??? 

I somehow doubt it. It is very easy to get tempted by 'must have' capabilities and then tend to ignore the implementation of the basic everyday stuff. I don't do sports and only dabble in wildlife so the trade off's just don't add up...... same with Fuji and HB medium format ..... something I would like but don't actually need ...... and the sacrifice would not be worth it. 

Yeah... I feel the same way.

Hopefully the SL will be upgraded to same type of AF speed as the A9 at some point. I don't NEED it, but I would like it :)

• Like 1

I think Dan said his SL is sold. Like him, once I got into the Sonys (first A7rII, now A7rIII), my two SLs , the 24-90, and the 90-280 sat in the dry cabinet until I sold them last month. I am now 73 years old, and the size and weight of everything SL was just becoming too much for arthritic shoulders. I'll leave all that to the younger whippersnappers. Still have the M10 and a nice set of glass to go with it, but I am honestly not sure how much use it will get. I know this is sacrilege in these parts, but life and older age are what they are.

• Like 1

SL and 24-90 have sold, I've got my M10, Q and all the rest of my SL/M lenses up for sale too.

The A9 has been great for the professional work I do, and here's some fun whilst I play around with the camera.

Now that I'm good with shots of Yuffie running towards me, it's time to go to the beach and get a cool background with sand spray :)

26066918197_d0fe3154b7_b.jpgDelicious Detail by dancook1982, on Flickr

27067860688_8b0eb938a1_b.jpgPeacock by dancook1982, on Flickr

40939628721_aed904ae5e_b.jpgPeacock by dancook1982, on Flickr

26068369047_5d759a2e54_b.jpgDSC06199 by dancook1982, on Flickr

40941249501_07183b1d35_b.jpgDSC05044 by dancook1982, on Flickr

27051074278_5445bf51c1_b.jpgIncredible Flying Dog by dancook1982, on Flickr

27031274788_692996e456_b.jpgDSC07764-2-2 by dancook1982, on Flickr

26028194917_62edbfb735_b.jpgDuck by dancook1982, on Flickr

Edited by dancook
  • Like 10

I think the success of the A9 is very good news for us all! This simply means that Leica has to greatly improve on AF. I don't know whether the existing lenses are made for sufficiently quick and smooth and accurate focus adjustments. If ok-ly made (and I would think so), one is left with detection and analysis algorithms linked to the sensor-chip system. This should be doable for Leica and Panasonic.

Obviously, A9 (or other systems with fast and reliable AF) is tempting to some/many in the Leica-camp, simply because none of the Leica-systems are on/near the top regarding AF. I bought into the Nikon-system some time ago for wildlife photography. That being said, I use and I will continue to use Leica for essentially all shooting where fast focus isn't essential. Which covers most of the shooting I do. But for dynamic wildlife, I pick Nikon (and Leica CL or SL, depending on weight and size). Should SL2 approach the AF level presently seen by A9, I will consider to sell off the Nikon gear.

I am less optimistic that Leica will allow IBIS to enter their system(s). This is mainly caused by Leica's strict tolerances, coupled to Leica's micro-lens sensors. But who knows; I certainly don't...

• Like 4