Sony A9 making me rethink Leica Setup - any A9 owners?

dancook

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am late to this thread, and I don't want to criticize other people's choices. That being said, the way I would have solved the problem is by renting (or borrowing) a professional camera, like a 1DX-2, for the day.

Obviously, the original poster has reasons for wanting to get out of the SL system that go beyond a high school fashion show, so this isn't targeted to him specifically.

On a related note, I remember watching a doc on NY fashion photographers. Not the 3 or 4 big names, but the hundreds that are a rung down. One thing that struck me is that they all used similar expensive cameras (Hasselblad), and lighting gear. It seemed odd that all of these struggling photographers could afford $50,000+ of equipment.

Then there was a scene at a rental house on the morning of a big shoot...

The reason why the gear looks so similar is because all of these up-and-coming photographers are using exactly the same gear from the same rental houses. They aren't paying usurious loans on high-end gear, hoping for a Vogue spread or advertising campaign. Most of their work is shot on typical Canon/Nikon gear, and they rent the big guns if the job requires it.

• Like 1

Dan,

Fair enough. The local availability of pro gear rental varies greatly.

Another thing I would consider is setting-up a video camera at the end of the runway (presuming they have the usual walk-out/spin/walk-back setup), with focus locked-off. I would shoot the video in portrait (vertical) format. This gives you two things: some extra insurance that you've captured a shot of every model (albeit at lower quality), and the option of delivering short videos that are suitable for social media use.

This sort of deliverable is very popular with the wedding crowd, who are usually around 10 years older. I can see it being a hit with teens. It's a lot of extra work, especially in prep and post, but I think that short videos will become a standard/expected thing very quickly. I wouldn't be surprised if the next generation of still cameras offered this (a mode where the camera saves 5 seconds of video footage centred around every shutter click).

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is A7RIII with 24-70 f/2.8 vs SL and 24-90. They are very similar. You can also check the Sony with 24-70 f/4.

http://camerasize.com/compact/#724.515,639.496,ha,t

Interesting... same size!! The 24-90 gets us out 20mm further, but at the cost of 2.8 vs F4.

I would assume the Leica lens is “better”.... but I probably would never notice without pixel peeping.

and I’m HAPPY with my SL :)

Edited by Donzo98

So a few shots from London - just mashing the shutter button using Wide Area Continuous AF + face detection, whilst walking and using f2.8 at 1/1000th shutter speed.

Wasn't really trying to compose shots, but just trying to gauge the C-AF/Face Tracking/Speed of the camera - and I like it....

39836439425_e90175089c_b.jpgBunch of crap by dancook1982, on Flickr

25860153447_a81049e1e0_b.jpgBunch of crap by dancook1982, on Flickr

25860154787_deebfa5143_b.jpgBunch of crap by dancook1982, on Flickr

40021416884_e383bb605d_b.jpgBunch of crap by dancook1982, on Flickr

40731443391_0297812f6c_b.jpgBunch of crap by dancook1982, on Flickr

40021419374_bbde89862c_b.jpgBunch of crap by dancook1982, on Flickr

40688483672_fb6b860442_b.jpgBunch of crap by dancook1982, on Flickr

40731446161_0282542546_b.jpgBunch of crap by dancook1982, on Flickr

• Like 5

I have not used face tracking because I think it slows down the AF,I simply use single point focus on the eye and recompose while holding back focus button to track, have you tested without face tracking? BTW I viewed your flickr collection and liked them...I also have a home theater 120 inch screen

• Like 1

I have not used face tracking because I think it slows down the AF,I simply use single point focus on the eye and recompose while holding back focus button to track, have you tested without face tracking? BTW I viewed your flickr collection and liked them...I also have a home theater 120 inch screen

thanks!

Haven't tried it without face tracking, but I see that I'm going to need two saved setups one for wide area face tracking and another for single point no face tracking 

We had an extension built, so I planned a home cinema for our extended lounge :)

https://cookhousestory.wordpress.com/

So a few shots from London - just mashing the shutter button using Wide Area Continuous AF + face detection, whilst walking and using f2.8 at 1/1000th shutter speed.

Wasn't really trying to compose shots, but just trying to gauge the C-AF/Face Tracking/Speed of the camera - and I like it....

39836439425_e90175089c_b.jpgBunch of crap by dancook1982, on Flickr

25860153447_a81049e1e0_b.jpgBunch of crap by dancook1982, on Flickr

25860154787_deebfa5143_b.jpgBunch of crap by dancook1982, on Flickr

40021416884_e383bb605d_b.jpgBunch of crap by dancook1982, on Flickr

40731443391_0297812f6c_b.jpgBunch of crap by dancook1982, on Flickr

40021419374_bbde89862c_b.jpgBunch of crap by dancook1982, on Flickr

40688483672_fb6b860442_b.jpgBunch of crap by dancook1982, on Flickr

40731446161_0282542546_b.jpgBunch of crap by dancook1982, on Flickr

They look fantastic man!!

• Like 1

There's an actual requirement to photograph multiple portraits of every model walking towards the camera on a catwalk during a school fashion show event.

The previous photographer used a 1dx for this.

I know what you mean otherwise.

It's the modern affection for shallow depth of field that causes any problem here. I've taken pictures of a child running towards me (your other example) with a Rolleiflex

So you replaced your SL's with A9's? Or your entire Leica gear, including the M10 and Q?

Well I still own all the leica,

I won't be too hasty because I make rash decisions all the time ;)

However Im thinking about complementing the Sony with hasselblad x2d.... In which case I may sell all my leica gear

But let's give it at least a month..

Try the Hassy before buying - I´ve heared more negatives than positives. Sure the camera looks cool and the name is promising, but operation and IQ seem to be not that good.

Why don´t you try the Fuji GFX50s?