Sony A9 making me rethink Leica Setup - any A9 owners?

dancook

I need to do the work now, if it's not the A9 it's a 1dx or d5 - but the silent shutter and eye detection is just so beneficial to me, I cannot wait for the SL2.

I don't know the Canons, but I surely know that D5 is everything but silent (a silent mode exist, but silent it isn't...).

I don't know the Canons, but I surely know that D5 is everything but silent (a silent mode exist, but silent it isn't...).

This is why I felt the Sony had a greater benefit to my usage, the silent shutter will make a difference - if not to the people around me, to me.

If I worry about my shutter disturbing people, then it interferes with my ability to think creatively and take photos.

• Like 1

well... :)

And the conditions won't be as good as this, lighting, the school girls walk faster, with less time between them - lucky if they remember to hold the pose for a couple of seconds before diving off stage :) however still shouldn't be a problem for the A9 to keep up

Edited by dancook
  • Like 1

I'm not whining..

I've ordered the Sony A9 x 2, 24-70, 70-200, 85mm 1.4 and 35mm 1.4 - plus batteries, grips and memory cards..

A man of action :)

Looking forward to seeing what you think...

NO joke man... all in huh??

• Like 1

There's an actual requirement to photograph multiple portraits of every model walking towards the camera on a catwalk during a school fashion show event.

For parents to purchase,

And to punish them for giving you an assignment that required the purchase of a whole set of new equipment including memory cards you should give those parents just the in-camera JPEGs. The Sony ones are actually usable. They wouldn’t be able to tell the difference anyway. Edited by Chaemono

And to punish them for giving you an assignment that required the purchase of a whole set of new equipment including memory cards you should give those parents just the in-camera JPEGs. The Sony ones are actually usable. They wouldn’t be able to tell the difference anyway.

and £100 per image! ;)

• Like 2

I'm not whining..

I've ordered the Sony A9 x 2, 24-70, 70-200, 85mm 1.4 and 35mm 1.4 - plus batteries, grips and memory cards..

Why 2 x A9? I´d go for A9 and A7rIII to get the best out of two worlds. I think the AF of A7rIII is nearly as good as the one of the A9. ... and you safe some money.

Why 2 x A9? I´d go for A9 and A7rIII to get the best out of two worlds. I think the AF of A7rIII is nearly as good as the one of the A9. ... and you safe some money.

So I can remain silent when switching between bodies.

I picked up each A9 for £3000 used in excellent condition.

Maybe there is a case for the A7RIII as a second body, but I'll see how I get on.

Edited by dancook
  • Like 1

.....and get the Techartpro adapter that will allow you to use M glass on the A9 with autofocus. Works really good.

I had forgotten about that :) worth a play

although looking on the internet there's a problem with them developing a fault of 'wobbling'

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1452716/18#13972529

Edited by dancook

I just found & realised, back when I had the 5DMark III I was not happy with continuous autofocus - even with the 200mm f2.0 which was a fast focussing lens.

It was frustrating to get a shot like this in focus.

39791507865_3a178d9e30_b.jpgLouise Run by dancook1982, on Flickr

I absolutely agree with you.

AF tracking improves on probability of getting sharply focused image.

Best AF tracking further improves probability of getting sharply focused image.

No AF tracking is perfect today as it still depends on the following factors:

1 Appropriate shutter speed selected;

2 Level of illumination ( your subject in your shot above is very well illuminated, it helps a lot for AF to work accurately);

3 AF still cannot read our mind on what we want to achieve during all the motion that is changing the focal point.

I just found & realised, back when I had the 5DMark III I was not happy with continuous autofocus - even with the 200mm f2.0 which was a fast focussing lens.

It was frustrating to get a shot like this in focus.

39791507865_3a178d9e30_b.jpgLouise Run by dancook1982, on Flickr

This is an example where the Nikon D500/D5/D850 would give you (essentially) 100 % hit rate. The Nikons have other issues (as stated earlier on), but hardly the ability to af a person running, or biking, towards you.

• Like 2