Sony A9 making me rethink Leica Setup - any A9 owners?

dancook

Most of the A9 AF wizardry is sensor and processor based ....... if Leica can incorporate that then the SL2 would be a fine camera ....... but note that the A9 is pegged at 24mpx to achieve this. You are unlikely to get this degree of performance AND a much bigger sensor as well  :rolleyes: .

Like most things is life ..... you cannot have everything .... so you will just have to hope Leica pick the improved feature set that YOU want .....  :(

The A7R3 also out focuses the SL by some margin and has 10FPS.

All of which is pointless for me because as much as I'd LOVE a higher resolution SL, Leica won't make me one without mandatory LENR and I'm not buying a camera again that can't turn LENR off. So it's most likely there will be no SL2 or S008 in my future.

Gordon

In reverse order -- dogs in flight (DIF):  Elliott Erwitt, the world master of these pictures, used Leica M with 90 or 135mm lenses.  He thinks thru his pictures from the dog's point of view.  He likes dogs, preferring French dogs over the dogs of other nations.  I'm more of a cat person, and would never compete.  It's not the equipment, it's the attitude.

Olympus E-M1.2 and Panasonic GH-5 have an excellent hybrid video solution, with IBIS and OIS that work together.  But Panasonic took it out for the video-mostly GH-5S.  Their official line seems to be that stabilization gets in the way of some of the more elaborate shooting environments, but I suspect heat in long takes is also an issue (a magnetically floating sensor is harder to cool).  Black Magic and RED (video-only professional "mirrorless" cameras) do not use IBIS.  But Leica seems to want to have it both ways.

More likely because the GH5S uses a non standard sensor size and they can't implement it (yet). They'd need a hole new IBIS mechanism that works in the multi aspect modes of the GH5S sensor. Then marketing gets to tell you some BS excuse about how it's now a feature not to have IBIS.

Gordon

I don't want to diminish those comments against dogs in flight  :)  but surely Dan's pictures of his dog is a demonstration of the control of "when" you want the capture.

The faster and more precise the capture the quicker you are able to move on to the next situation. Events can be hectic in their demands and a pro may need to capture a great variety images under a short time span.

That's always nice to have.

And if Leica wants to keep the SL professional, it's a detail that needs addressing.

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

Some here were interested in how I got on with the A9 cameras, so I wanted to update.

Saturday marked the first solo wedding that I shot with the A9's, also marking the beginning of a career change into professional photography - having been made redundant from my day-time employment.

https://gallery.danielcook.com/maddyandnick/

I don't doubt I still have a long way to go, but this is the beginning not the end - anyway I regularly beat myself up for any inadequacy, I have a drive to be better. I'm also willing to learn if anyone feels they can point me in a particular direction.

I'm told I have a style, I'm not sure how to quantify this and I wonder whether the Leica would have truly fit with what I was trying to do - Though I love the quality, I always wanted more speed.

Maybe this will change as I mature... I only started getting into photography about 6 years ago, even shooting this wedding I feel like I'm still such a newbie.

I did buy a Hasselblad X1D - as my 'super quality slow me down camera', but i'm not sure I'll be using it at weddings any time soon.

Edited by dancook
  • Like 4

Steve,

Coming from the video world, Canon is the only company that offers usable on-sensor AF tracking. The A9, much like the SL, offers speedy initial focus, but it can't track like the Canons can.

I haven't done an extensive test of the A9, but I have tried it in a shop. I find it's not a huge step past the SL, just slightly newer technology, and I'm not the type to switch cameras every time technology advances by a small amount. The SL is still ahead (to me) in terms of ergonomics, interface, lens compatibility, and EVF; qualities that I value more than AF speed and five-figure ISO ratings.

My main point is that the only way to get a big AF tracking improvement, compared to the SL, is with the Canon/Nikon pro SLRs.

You need to take an a9 out on a football field and get back with us. It tracks as good as my 1DX, imho. The a9 EVF with no blackout is enough to make any sports photographer jump with joy. 

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Some here were interested in how I got on with the A9 cameras, so I wanted to update.

Saturday marked the first solo wedding that I shot with the A9's, also marking the beginning of a career change into professional photography - having been made redundant from my day-time employment.

https://gallery.danielcook.com/maddyandnick/

I don't doubt I still have a long way to go, but this is the beginning not the end - anyway I regularly beat myself up for any inadequacy, I have a drive to be better. I'm also willing to learn if anyone feels they can point me in a particular direction.

I'm told I have a style, I'm not sure how to quantify this and I wonder whether the Leica would have truly fit with what I was trying to do - Though I love the quality, I always wanted more speed.

Maybe this will change as I mature... I only started getting into photography about 6 years ago, even shooting this wedding I feel like I'm still such a newbie.

I did buy a Hasselblad X1D - as my 'super quality slow me down camera', but i'm not sure I'll be using it at weddings any time soon.

Nice work Dan, just curious but what is your typical F-stop in the bridal preparation shots? The depth of field is quite deep, implying F4/F5.6? is that a shooting decision?

Secondly you love the quality of the Leica's but need more speed, but none of the subjects in the images are moving at all, I too shoot weddings, but on rangefinders and typically at f1.4 . If the subject is pretty stationary (or just pretty) then its very rare its out of focus. I had more trouble with my Canon 1DX's in that regard. Its the colours and contrast I get from the Leica glass which means I wouldnt ever change.

I dont shoot leaping dog shots however ;-) Well unless it was very well trained and could do it 20 times, or get it first time on F8

A friend of mine shoots professionally on A9's for weddings and absolutely loves them, and gets a different kind of shot perhaps to a Leica photographer, both valid of course

Oh and you never stop beating yourself up over the last shoot you did, Ive been doing this malarkey for about 25 years and its still the same :-)

Edited by douglas fry
  • Like 2

Nice work Dan, just curious but what is your typical F-stop in the bridal preparation shots? The depth of field is quite deep, implying F4/F5.6? is that a shooting decision?

Secondly you love the quality of the Leica's but need more speed, but none of the subjects in the images are moving at all, I too shoot weddings, but on rangefinders and typically at f1.4 . If the subject is pretty stationary (or just pretty) then its very rare its out of focus. I had more trouble with my Canon 1DX's in that regard. Its the colours and contrast I get from the Leica glass which means I wouldnt ever change.

I dont shoot leaping dog shots however ;-) Well unless it was very well trained and could do it 20 times, or get it first time on F8

A friend of mine shoots professionally on A9's for weddings and absolutely loves them, and gets a different kind of shot perhaps to a Leica photographer, both valid of course

Oh and you never stop beating yourself up over the last shoot you did, Ive been doing this malarkey for about 25 years and its still the same :-)

Depth of field was from 35mm/85mm at f1.4 most of the time, so not sure which shot you're looking at. Definitely not 4+

Two people did move.. 220+ shots at 10 fps - shot with 16-35mm @ f2.8

I actually needed the speed for school sports days, fashion shows and live play rehearsals whilst on the stage floor.

It's just nice being able to flick between subjects and have their eye in focus so quickly, and also to get focus and be able to take the photo before the scene changes - the SL 50mm 1.4 would annoy me if the subject just swayed in and out .. 

Edited by dancook
  • Like 3

Thanks Dan for coming back to us with the feedback on the A9. Don't worry about the choice of the camera, your images does say it's the correct choice for you. More shots, more keepers is always better than just image quality (my opinion, of course).

Regarding your work. Not being there to see you in action, I will not say anything with regards to what you may be doing right or wrong. It'd be a dumb opinion on my part  :D . And pardon me if my subjective opinions offend, it's not meant as such.

Going by your images, I would say trim down the quantity. Less is better.

Go very wide to give an overall opening to the story and to give the context but limit these to just a few. Crop shots more tightly so that the expressions and interactions solidify the relationships implied ( you have lots of great ones, just tighten it in crop, love the shots). 

Well done! And if I may, you have an eye for the moment.

Personally, my own shots are now slightly loose ( with negative space around the subject) to accommodate different aspect rations like square, 4:5, etc. It's a holdover trait from advertising work (I do it now) which I started to carry into my workflow. I'm not sure if that's useful to you.

Edited by lx1713
  • Like 4

Thanks Dan for coming back to us with the feedback on the A9. Don't worry about the choice of the camera, your images does say it's the correct choice for you. More shots, more keepers is always better than just image quality (my opinion, of course).

Regarding your work. Not being there to see you in action, I will not say anything with regards to what you may be doing right or wrong. It'd be a dumb opinion on my part  :D . And pardon me if my subjective opinions offend, it's not meant as such.

Going by your images, I would say trim down the quantity. Less is better.

Go very wide to give an overall opening to the story and to give the context but limit these to just a few. Crop shots more tightly so that the expressions and interactions solidify the relationships implied ( you have lots of great ones, just tighten it in crop, love the shots). 

Well done! And if I may, you have an eye for the moment.

Personally, my own shots are now slightly loose ( with negative space around the subject) to accommodate different aspect rations like square, 4:5, etc. It's a holdover trait from advertising work (I do it now) which I started to carry into my workflow. I'm not sure if that's useful to you.

Thank you, i appreciate your advice :) 

I might add to that, but i've spent so long today frazzling my brain over my identity as photographer - what I wish to portray and shoot, that it's time to sit down and enjoy some champagne :D (10th anniversary present from work, incidentally the one i am being made redundant from)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have spent a few hours getting everything ordered

The Sony A9s will arrive tomorrow along with the 24-70

A9 x 2 + 24-70 2.8 GM

85mm 1.4 GM + 35 1.4 ZA + 2 Batteries

70-200 2.8

Sony Trigger for Godox Lights

Memory Cards 128x2 300mb/s 64x2 95mb/s

VG-C3EM Grip x 2

TT685S Flash Guns