Regretting buying an M10

Csacwp

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Time to buck up, cowboy.

You bought this thing to use, so use it.

You are in the US, as I recall, so you bought it new with a Passport Warranty of three years that will cover any problems you encounter. My experience with electronics of all sorts is that if they work well for the first month they will work well until they are well past their prime; so you are in an ideal spot if any issues arise.

My friend, I can guarantee you that next year the M10 will cost $500 more than it does now; and then $500 or more to move up to the next M the year following; then $500 or more to move up to the next M after the turn of the decade. If you don't buy it now, chances are you won't in the future.

Relax.

Enjoy.

SHOOT!!!

The Passport warranty hasn’t applied to US cameras in many years. That covered accidental damage. There is, however, a 2 year general warranty. Lenses are different.

Initial prices of M model releases in the US have remained quite steady since the M9. There have been some price increases after release. Eventually those have been reduced prior to new model releases.

Jeff

• Like 1

The Passport warranty hasn’t applied to US cameras in many years. That covered accidental damage. There is, however, a 2 year general warranty. Lenses are different.

Initial prices of M model releases in the US have remained quite steady since the M9. There have been some price increases after release. Eventually those have been reduced prior to new model releases.

Jeff

I stand corrected. 

Yes, according to my source the Passport Warranty is no more . . . a shame as it was a super value-add for Leica's products.

This thread was moved here from another forum... I wrote it before posting my question about the focus assist button.

They’re both in the M10 forum, where they belong. Easier next time to add related comments to the same discussion. Maybe mods will combine.

Jeff

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Fun.  Well, my regrets are largely gone... I'll get the rangefinder sorted out, and for now it's still easy enough to focus.  I must say that holding the black chrome M10 in hand has made me want an M-A to go with it.  It's a thing of beauty.  Now, my M10 does run rather warm, but I've read this is normal?  No overheat warnings yet, but the weather here is quite cold.  

• Like 1

Now, my M10 does run rather warm, but I've read this is normal? No overheat warnings yet, but the weather here is quite cold.

I wouldn’t be so sure that your copy isn’t getting hotter than others. You wouldn’t be the first with a camera that slipped through quality controls. Edited by otto.f

I had the same feelings. And I even got a second SL and a CL, ready to go. But when I go out with just one camera and one lens, with photography being not the main focus, I still reach for the M. I use it less but carry it more. And that's OK with me. As a one camera one lens system the CL doesn't give me the same satisfaction.

Really want a 40MP SL though. 

Gordon

Really? I find 24Mpx the sweet spot. I can crop a picture from the SL no problem as long as I don't want to get down too far. I had a Nikon d810 @ 36 Mpx and I didn't find the files showed any particular advantage over the SL. Rather there is a sort of smooth quality to the SL and a slightly nervous (over sharp) quality to the d810.

Fun.  Well, my regrets are largely gone... I'll get the rangefinder sorted out, and for now it's still easy enough to focus.  I must say that holding the black chrome M10 in hand has made me want an M-A to go with it.  It's a thing of beauty.  Now, my M10 does run rather warm, but I've read this is normal?  No overheat warnings yet, but the weather here is quite cold.  

Welcome to M-A which will adjust itself for ambient air temperature :p:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/236926-i-love-my-m-a/page-27

M-A Silver or Black ?

in Silver it's a gem of Classic M camera.

I've now confirmed that the vertical alignment is off.  The image that moves in the focusing patch is always somewhat lower than the stationary image, making it difficult to match the two up.  Things are also slightly misaligned at infinity.  The camera is off to Leica NJ now...

The best way to check alignment is to compare LV with RF focusing, tripod mounted and printed, and preferably with more than one lens.

Sounds like you’ve decided to ship. I hope you got a shipping label from NJ and an expedited turnaround.

Jeff

I have zero regrets about my M10. Best camera ever. Sell it to someone else who will enjoy it, if you don't want it.

Sorry, but someone who starts this topic before he even unpacked his ordered M10 I can’t take seriously.

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 1