Regretting buying an M10

Csacwp

Advertisement (gone after registration)

".......fantastic rangefinder.  I can focus my 90mm Apo wide open with ease! "

The lens aperture has no relevance if you are using the rangefinder. Or do you mean it is in focus 'wide open'

Edited by pedaes

Or exchange it if there’s a legitimate issue.

Jeff

I've read that a misaligned rangefinder is normal, and that these often come from the factory with the vertical alignment off.  The horizontal alignment seems to be dead on, with the exception that all of my lenses seem to be focusing a tiny bit past infinity.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Regardless, you can fix it yourself, have Leica or DAG fix it, or let your dealer worry about it. I offered the latter approach as an option. That’s a reason to use good dealers.

I haven’t experienced a RF alignment problem with a new M, and have used many M models since the early 80’s.

Jeff

I've read that a misaligned rangefinder is normal, and that these often come from the factory with the vertical alignment off.  The horizontal alignment seems to be dead on, with the exception that all of my lenses seem to be focusing a tiny bit past infinity.

Where have you read that?

You've possibly seen me lodge a fair number of complaints recently on this forum, (if you have gone through recent threads at least) - from remarks about the sensor to the quality control (I had to send mine back twice for warranty work that should have never happened.)

After all of that, and the fact that for me this was the most significant financial outlay I've made in years (my car is worth half of what I spent on the thing) I still don't regret getting it. It needs work in some area IMO, but still.  I may have come close to regret during the repair processes, but most have a better experience than I, (you probably will too), and it is still my favorite digital camera that I've owned (I have a fair amount of reference points). Use it, and I think you'll probably feel the same way. 

Edited by pgh
  • Like 1

Time to buck up, cowboy.

You bought this thing to use, so use it.

You are in the US, as I recall, so you bought it new with a Passport Warranty of three years that will cover any problems you encounter. My experience with electronics of all sorts is that if they work well for the first month they will work well until they are well past their prime; so you are in an ideal spot if any issues arise.

My friend, I can guarantee you that next year the M10 will cost $500 more than it does now; and then $500 or more to move up to the next M the year following; then $500 or more to move up to the next M after the turn of the decade. If you don't buy it now, chances are you won't in the future. 

Relax.

Enjoy.

SHOOT!!!