Regretting buying an M10

Csacwp

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’m regretting my purchase of the M10 and am wondering whether I should have purchased a second SL. My first SL has been flawless while I’m worried about problems down the road with the M10 like the stuck iso issue. I just wish my SL were smaller and more discrete, and a better match size-wise with the 35mm cron apsh. Aside from a 280mm apo f/4 R, I only shoot M lenses on the SL.

Edited by Csacwp
  • Like 1

I agree that the SL is on the big side for the smaller/est M-lenses (like 28-Elmarit, 35-Cron). However, for the larger M-lenses, like 28-Lux, 75-Lux and 90-Cron, not to mention the 50-Noct, I clearly prefer the SL. One can of course add grips etc on the M, but then the body size approaches that of the SL. The main differences between the two systems - for me - are the rangefinder, the smaller size and the M-feeling (in favour of the M, obviously); versus the excellent electronic viewfinder, the general versatility of the system, the very fine zooms, af and image stabilisation and water proof body/lenses (in favour of the SL). Plus the better holding of the SL, at least for my largish hands. I enjoy the SL to such an extent that I have now sold my last M-body (but I have still some M-lenses). A monochrome version of the M10 could get me back to the M. Possibly. But I am pretty much sold on the L-systems (mainly SL, but also the 'little' companion CL).

• Like 4

The stuck ISO issue affected only a small number of cameras from the first production run - I don't know of any other systematic breakdowns. It is a bit of a Calimero  feeling...

But if it spoils your enjoyment of the camera, by all means get back to the SL, a great  camera as well.

• Like 1

It’s hard to beat the SL and, as Helged says, the CL is a wonderful small format companion camera. It also serves as a teleconverter for the SL.

That said, if you enjoy shooting a rangefinder the M10 is brilliant and clearly the best digital M so far. It is also very expensive. If you’re worried about it I would return it, or swap it for a CL. An M10 is supposed to bring pleasure, not stress!

The SL/CL has me wondering about my digital M too. My ideal would be an M10 Monochrom with no rear LCD and no inbuilt light meter... which is why I think I’ve put more frames through my film bodies than the M10 in 2018.

All that said, if you decide to keep the M10 I think you will enjoy it. They are a wonderful device, with a firm foot in the earlier era of photography while being a brilliant digital body.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well I opened it up (carefully) and have to say it is fun to use. Haven’t removed the plastic or anything yet, but it’s nice to have an M in hand again after a long hiatus.

I’d get a CL but I want my 35 cron to remain a 35mm. I’m wondering if it makes more sense to keep the M10 and wait for an SL2 whenever one comes along.

Edited by Csacwp
  • Like 1

I had the same feelings. And I even got a second SL and a CL, ready to go. But when I go out with just one camera and one lens, with photography being not the main focus, I still reach for the M. I use it less but carry it more. And that's OK with me. As a one camera one lens system the CL doesn't give me the same satisfaction.

Really want a 40MP SL though. 

Gordon

• Like 2

Well, my M10 just arrived, production date on the box is from January 2018.

The first thing I noticed was the fantastic rangefinder.  I can focus my 90mm Apo wide open with ease!  I took shots at every ISO and didn't see dead/stuck pixels or pixel lines.  

​One thing I did notice is that the focus-assist button on the front of the camera spins and makes a little noise.  It doesn't seem to be unscrewing.  Does anybody else's do this?