M9 back after repair

gwpics

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am very pleased to say that my M9 returned home today after being with Leica since September for the removal of an SD card label (Fuji 16gb card) jammed in the shutter, and for a sensor clean and service. It came as a surprise as they had bot notified me it was on its way, but they appear to have done a great job, and sent it back in its own box by UPS.

Now to tackle Fuji about the SD card, who seemed to be pretty disinterested when I spoke to them on phone.

Gerry

How do you get an sd card jammed in the shutter?

Not the whole card, just the label which detached itself and gradually worked its way though the camera to the shutter. Everybody I have spoken to have never heard of such a thing.

Gerry

Who would of thought!!!!

Me. One of my SD cards broke off a little piece in my Q. Luckily I was able to retrieve it so the only damage was to the card, but I really can't figure out how it happened. For the moment I think it must have been a manufacturing fault in the card.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Me. One of my SD cards broke off a little piece in my Q. Luckily I was able to retrieve it so the only damage was to the card, but I really can't figure out how it happened. For the moment I think it must have been a manufacturing fault in the card.

I guess we rely  on these things too much. As a matter of interest what make of card was it?

Gerry

• Like 1

This morning I received an email from Leica NJ. My M9 will be returned to be repaired within a week, and they asked for their M240 loaner back. I need to adjust back to using the M9 without the capability for quick back to back photos, which is OK. No Live View too. Better sensor?

Mmmm...you may be wanting a live view Raid. Once bitten twice shy...i can recommend. Just for what the sensor really sees.

I know what you mean, David. Using the 7Artisans 50/1.1 wide open was made easier with LiveView. Same applies to using a J-8 (which needs shimming) required me to use LV to be able to focus correctly. Very soon, I should be getting back my Hologon 16/8 in M mount, and I was planning to learn how to use this lens to minimize color issues at the edges.

In the end, the M240 is not my camera. I can see the usefulness of having a M240.

• Like 1

I know what you mean, David. Using the 7Artisans 50/1.1 wide open was made easier with LiveView. Same applies to using a J-8 (which needs shimming) required me to use LV to be able to focus correctly. Very soon, I should be getting back my Hologon 16/8 in M mount, and I was planning to learn how to use this lens to minimize color issues at the edges.

In the end, the M240 is not my camera. I can see the usefulness of having a M240.

Perhaps the M10 may be the solution you're really looking for? A repaired M9 continues to fetch reasonable prices on the 2nd hand market.

I've already seen a used M10 for $5800. 

I will first use my M9 to have a hands on comparison with the M240 that I would then not have anymore but I will be able to recall how I used the M240 just weeks before. I will then know if I am happier with using the M9 or whether I am actually missing using the M240. 

I've been watching black M9 sales on eBay for several weeks. There have been relatively few examples as compared to listings for the silver version (or M9-Ps for that matter) and they've done well I'd say, from $2450 for one with an original sensor to $3284 for a copy with the original sensor and very low actuations (fewer than 1000). Black M9s with replaced sensors (1st version) seem to be selling for around $2800 or so. Prices seem to be climbing. I don't think I've seen one with the later, corrosion-resistant sensor go on the block yet, other than mine, which I scored for $2300 on Christmas Eve. Its sensor was replaced in May of 2017 and has fewer than 5000 clicks. The version of the sensor was revealed when I contacted Leica after the camera arrived. 

Edited by dot-me-not

I've been watching black M9 sales on eBay for several weeks. There have been relatively few examples as compared to listings for the silver version (or M9-Ps for that matter) and they've done well I'd say, from $2450 for one with an original sensor to $3284 for a copy with the original sensor and very low actuations (fewer than 1000). Black M9s with replaced sensors (1st version) seem to be selling for around $2800 or so. Prices seem to be climbing. I don't think I've seen one with the later, corrosion-resistant sensor go on the block yet, other than mine, which I scored for $2300 on Christmas Eve. Its sensor was replaced in May of 2017 and has fewer than 5000 clicks. The version of the sensor was revealed when I contacted Leica after the camera arrived. 

I don't think eBay is a good gauge of M9 pricing.

I've been watching M9 sales on the UK site and I've noticed that quite a few of them get re-listed.  I'm sure some are legitimately re-listed because buyers have reneged on the deal, but it happens so often that I can't help but feel that something dodgy is going on.

Buyers are better off buying from a dealer.  Prices are lower, in the UK at least, and the camera includes a warranty. 

As of this moment, there are two black M9s on eBay -- excluding the absurdly priced Buy-It-Nows from Japan. One is in Russia, original sensor, has fewer than 5000 actuations and is at $2600 with 51 bids and 28 hours to go. The other is in the UK and is priced at $2800. Don't know much about it as there aren't many details, but it appears to have the original sensor if covering material is a reliable indication. 

Pretty typical. Additionally, a Web search with several American dealers showed NO viable black Leica M9s as of this writing. There just aren't many on offer. 

My eBay M9 was from a large American Leica dealer and has a warranty. 

Raid, When did you send in your M9 to Leica in NJ for sensor replacement?. Trying to gauge time frame of mine. Thanks.

Dave (D&A)

It may have been in late July, David. I would not wait until August. It was a gamble since I was unaware of any sensor damage to my M9. 

Shouldn't an M9 with a replaced sensor be priced higher than an M9 with an original ("prone to get damaged" sensor?