SL + which Lens for Travelling?

elwyn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don’t have any native SL lenses at present, but I’ve been experimenting with the R 35-70 f4 macro and have been finding it offers a compelling experience. Sure, if weight and size were an issue I’d stick with an M10 + 35 summicron asph - I’ve done this many times and found it’s not been a source of frustration. But it’s proving to be fun to have the zoom with useful macro built in to add variety, and I shall continue to experiment now that I have an SL again.

• Like 2

I don’t have any native SL lenses at present, but I’ve been experimenting with the R 35-70 f4 macro and have been finding it offers a compelling experience. Sure, if weight and size were an issue I’d stick with an M10 + 35 summicron asph - I’ve done this many times and found it’s not been a source of frustration. But it’s proving to be fun to have the zoom with useful macro built in to add variety, and I shall continue to experiment now that I have an SL again.

I had that lens for a while. It's parfocal so I'm likely to get it again for video for the ease of manual focusing.

Hard to resist the temptation when packing my bag for a trip.

SL is my main colour digital. Recent trip to the US, took 24-90, 21 Summilux, 28 Summilux & Noctilux. Used the zoom almost exclusively. In future, I’d take the SL & 24-90, perhaps one prime (21 Summilux) and TL2 with 11-23 TL zoom.

Then I’d change my mind again when packing...

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I do not like heavy zoom lenses, as I find that they drain much of the enjoyment out of the photographic process. When I travel with my SL these days, I usually take a 28mm or 35mm plus something in the 50-75mm range. This makes for a reasonably lightweight, compact kit that is fun and easy to use. When I am out shooting, I rarely change lenses in the field and don't worry about the shots that I might be missing. I also have a Q that I often carry by itself for use on the street. It is fantastic for that purpose.

Went to San-Francisco (I'am from Paris France) and took SL 50 1.4; 180 Apo Telyt 3,4 R, 135 Apo Telyt 3,4 M; and a 24 M Elmarit. Carried the SL body with 50 attached with Porta brace strap and two lenses in two Porta brace lens bags attached on my belt! Walked hours and was nearly ok :-)

Using 50mm focal lens nearly 70% of time. Lucky enough to see a Falcon 9 launch in the sky of SF at 6:15 AM and thanks the 50 f 1.4 for it's amazing quality at 1.4!

Edited by cbayon
  • Like 1