Do I need newer lenses to replace old ones I own for use with the M10

tonyniev

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am going to Japan for the Sakura in March then extended trips to other Asian countries.  I sometimes question if I am short changing the image quality by using old (>50 yrs old) lenses. My Leica lenses are

1. New Summarit 50 mm

2. >50 yr old Elmarit 28 I used with my M3 before

3. a $250 >50 yr old from ebay Elmarit 90 mm

3. a > 50 yr old Heklar 135 I used with my m3

5. a new Voigtlander CV 15 III

My back up camera is a Sony A7r with 16-35 mm, a 55 mm and 55-210 (cropped sensor Tele) plus an adapter to use all the M lenses.

is there a reason to buy a newer coded lenses say a 28 mm or a 21mm? 

here is a sample of the 28 mm image:

L1002405-2-XL.jpg

from the $250 90 mm 

L1003007-XL.jpg

Edited by tonyniev
  • Like 5

I bought a new 28 Elmarit ASPH II for our trip to Japan last year during Sakura season. I didn’t regret it. Even my wife asked why the photos were so crisp and sharp compared to the 35/2.8 Summaron photos.

The modern formulations will exhibit more saturated colours and crispness, if that’s what you want.

Otherwise, save your dough and buy more sake :)

P.S. This is on a film M. I can’t comment on digital.

Edited by Mute-on
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think you'll be fine with the lenses that you have.  The coding is convenient as it's not necessary to fiddle around with menus when changing lenses.  I did get my lenses coded for this reason as I was forever forgetting to change the lens value in the menu.  However, with regard to lens corrections, I think this only really matters with wide angles.

If you can afford to upgrade to a newer coded 28mm and/or 90mm lens, then why not? But I think it's a 'nice to have' rather than a 'must have'.

Have a great trip!

• Like 2

Thanks...I think for this trip in March- June, I will stay with my current set... and evaluate again for my trip to Spain and France in September in time for the meetup in Lyon on Oct 13.

In December I decided not to get the CL and stick with my A7R, maybe when evaluating the new lenses I will put the CL in the decision mix.

Cheers

• Like 1

Number 5 is aspherical, I wouldn't worry about this lens.

Leica digital M series seems to be consistent on maximizing and optimizing their film era lenses. 

Summarit new series came already tested on digital. 

On examples you have provided it is not so critical which lens was in use. Old lenses shows their age in difficult light and wide open. This is where and how you should check them.  

• Like 1

Thanks two more smaples:

Elmarit 28, been sitting on the shelf with my old M3 until I started using it on the A7R,

here is one shot hand held at night: F2.8 iso 6400 ,NR in LR6

L1001861-XL.jpg

eBay Elmarit 90 mm handheld lunar eclipse iso 3200

L1003085-XL.jpg

Edited by tonyniev
  • Like 2

The combination of old lenses on modern digital sensors is a great match. They seem to compliment each other very well, as is demonstrated frequently in the classic lenses thread.

And some of those old beauties are very sharp with great colour. What’s not to love?

• Like 1

Tony,

You've got a great eye. That is much more important than lenses. And your shots look terrific, so in my view there is no need at all to buy new lenses, just enjoy the ones you have. I particularly like your shots taken with the 28mm lens, it seems to work just perfectly.

Cheers, Andy

• Like 1

Tony,

You've got a great eye. That is much more important than lenses. And your shots look terrific, so in my view there is no need at all to buy new lenses, just enjoy the ones you have. I particularly like your shots taken with the 28mm lens, it seems to work just perfectly.

Cheers, Andy

Thanks Andy.

Cheers

Also using the version I of 90/2.8 Tele-Elmarit on my M film cameras as well as on my A7R - I am seeing the same you observed, it works flawlessly on the 36 MP FF sensor, too! It has since become one of my most used tele lenses. Unbeatable price-wise, too - one of the best deals for the bucks you can get for Leica M glass. 

I have no experience with the 28 mm Elmarit, but it seems to work very good on your A7R, too. No reason IMO to upgrade. I found prices for older Leica 28 mm lenses just too expensive for my taste (not even considering the new versions!) that I went with the CV 28/2 instead. Really love this fairly small but well made lens!

Depends on your shooting preference, but I wouldn't like to miss out on 21 mm FL since I shoot more on the wide side in general than tele (so the 135 mm lens wouldn't make sense for me to take with me on travel). The CV 15 is already ultra-wide, and IMO it would be good to have something bridging your 15 and 28 mm lenses (instead of the 15 mm, I am using the CV 12/5.6 which vignettes quite heavily on the A7R, but it can be reduced in PP with the Adobe Flat Field plugin - love this lens for ultra-wide shots of small rooms for example, and it can sneak through fence mesh where larger lenses don't make it through!). 

• Like 1

Highly recommend the CV 21/1.8 lens since it will work perfectly both on M-mount and on the A7R. Decently priced for this FL, too - I saw a few good deals online recently for used EX versions of this lens in the $800 price range. I took this photo below just yesterday with my A7R and the CV 21/1.8 handheld. No corner unsharpness nor vignetting, taken at f/8. Wide open this lens can have a little bit of vignetting, but no biggie either. 

p2751437819-5.jpg

• Like 1

Is Elmarit 28 photos here are taken with it on M10? I'm surprised this version of it (

) works on M10. Somehow I get impression what only III and younger are digital M compatible.

To get expsoure metering the M10 must be on live view for older lenses.

• Like 1