Street photography, one lens with CL

Personally, 18-56. I think it would depend a bit on your style, though. Are you a zone focus kind of person? If so, the lack of speed of the 18-56 probably won’t bother you, and the range of focal lengths is useful. Prefer a little more control over depth of field and intend to trust the AF rather than shooting from the hip? Maybe the 23mm would be a better choice. Or even the 18mm if you like to get in close. Depends on your style.

• Like 1

What lens would you use. 18-56, 11-23, or prime.

The 18mm, definitively. It is so small and does not need a hood (it actually does not come with one). The 23mm is an option too, but if you put the hood on the 23mm, it becomes much larger. Also, the 18mm is very fast to focus. Very nice little lens. I used it in the streets of Porto and Lisboa in Portugal, most people did not even notice me. I was in Argentina last week, using the 23mm (and hood), and maybe people are different there or I stood up more, but I was noticed much, much more often. My personal experience...

Alain.

• Like 1

I would use the 18mm Elmarit TL that Leica made for it. 

As for M lenses, the 28mm f/2.8 Elmarit would be a nice choice.  It's light weight would be a good match for the CL and its focal length of 42mm equivaent would make it a useful lens for those who lean toward a 50mm for street photography.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1

I use the 21/3.4 asph M. The equivalent fl of 31 is perfect when shooting from the waist, as is the ability to zone focus using the dof scale

Two mm too wide [emoji12]. On a more serious note, if one buys new, the 23 seems like the better option regarding

- widest aperture

- closest focusing distance

- ability to auto focus

- no adapter requirement

- cost

I do have both - so the 21 always goes with the M. I you happen to have a 21 - of course it works.

Cheers

Ivo