Use of my m9 Diopter and M10 adaptor

lucerne

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On selling my M9 I removed my minus 2 eyepiece diopter and transferred it to my new M10. To make that possible I purchased and incorporated the Leica M9/M240 to M10 eyepiece adaptor.

I have now noticed that my viewfinder is no longer sharp compared to my M9 experience and focusing is difficult.

Has anyone else noticed differences since switching from one model to M10.

I appreciate that the basic M9 body incorporated 0.5 compensation. Has Leica removed this internal compensation from the M10?

Comments from users with similar setups are welcomed

Edited by lucerne
  • Like 1

I use +.5 on my MM1 and M10, but no adapter.

You can take your camera to a local optician to test free trial diopters and determine best strength for your current eye condition.

Be sure that you’re first corrected for any astigmatism. I wear glasses for that.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Jeff.

Thanks.

Am I reading you correctly? How are you able to fit the diopter lens that fits THE MM, on to the M10 . They are completely different diameters hence the need for an adapter.

I think you are saying that you own two of the same value but have the latest diopter designed for the M10.

However, ii am pleased to hear that the same value diopter works on both bodies.

I originally found the correct value by taking myself and the camera to my optician as you rightly suggest.

Edited by lucerne

Jeff.

Thanks.

Am I reading you correctly? How are you able to fit the diopter lens that fits THE MM, on to the M10 . They are completely different diameters hence the need for an adapter.

However, ii am pleased to hear that the same value diopter works on both bodies.

I use the diopters designed for each respective camera. Two separate diopters, same strength, but no adapters required.

I also edited my post to add further thoughts.

Jeff

• Like 1

I guess all Leica’s are set to -0.5 out of factory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There have been many long discussions regarding diopter and eye corrections using an M. Rick was our resident expert (haven’t seen his posts in a while), and he always cautioned that it’s not as simple as some think. A search will bring up much debate, for instance...

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/258125-leica-dioptre/page-1?do=findComment&comment=3009925

Jeff

I’m using the +3.5 dioptres I had on my 240’s via the Leica adapters and they work fine. Not sure why you’re having this problem.

Strange!

Do I have a problem or has there been a technical change? I didn't know, so I asked. From the useful replies I believe there is no technical reason, so I'm having my eyes re-tested (with the camera) next week. Maybe my eye has deteriorated since I determined -2, (used comfortably on my M9 and M240) and a new value of diopter is called for.

Thanks everyone.

Edited by lucerne

I used a +0.5 diopter on my M (240) and purchased a new +0.5 diopter on the M10.

The diopters are pretty expensive but improve focusing accuracy for me importantly.

I've sold my M(240) and use the old diopter now on my M6. I'm impressed by the improvement it gives on the M6!

• Like 1

Simplest thing is to go to your Leica store and TEST the different diopters....

It makes a big difference focusing wise.

Albert :D:D:D

There's no dispute that diopters aren't effective. I've always used one. Read my original post.

It's a 400 mile round trip to my nearest Leica dealer. Not everyone lives in New York.

But I did mention earlier that I tested different diopter values in combination with my Leica body at an optician at the outset. These discussion threads get too long and facts get lost. We should be able to close threads when the topic has been done to death.

I'm sorted, and the facts surrounding diopter selection are clear here,

Thanks everyone.(again!)

Edited by lucerne

I use +.5 on my MM1 and M10, but no adapter.

Since Jeff reported that  +.5 strength correction diopters worked the same on both his MM and M10 it sounds like the eyepiece thread adapter may be the issue.  Is it possible it is not fully seated? That would likely change the optical performance of the diopter lens. 

• Like 1

Since Jeff reported that +.5 strength correction diopters worked the same on both his MM and M10 it sounds like the eyepiece thread adapter may be the issue. Is it possible it is not fully seated? That would likely change the optical performance of the diopter lens.

Point taken. I'll check that. Thanks. However it's such a thin optic that it fits flush in the adaptor, and then the assembly takes Six half-turns before it's tight in the eyepiece of the camera body. None of the diopter is proud. Edited by lucerne

I've not actually seen the thread adapter, but from the photos of it I get the impression that the tool that ships with it is used to install the adapter into the camera eyepiece threads first.  Then the diopter lens is screwed in, but I could be mistaken.

Not quite correct. The tool enables the old style diopter to be fitted into the new adaptor. The combo can then be screwed into the body eyepiece. As before, It's very easy to remove the combo but not so easy to separate the diopter from the adaptor. That's an advantage.

However, while I was shooting on a beach in Kerala, India, I heard a faint sound and watched the combo leave the body and land in the sand! I considered myself very lucky not to lose £200 of accessory. The remainder of my trip would have been difficult. No diopter and blurred viewfinding.

Gordon, I checked the diopter strength by fitting the old M(240) diopter loosely in the M10 eyepiece.

Of course this was only to check the strength, the diopter would fall out of the M10 eyepiece immediately.

After confirmation that the same strength was okay for the M10 viewfinder I ordered the M10 one.

I didn't try the adaptor.

• Like 1

Gordon, I checked the diopter strength by fitting the old M(240) diopter loosely in the M10 eyepiece.

Of course this was only to check the strength, the diopter would fall out of the M10 eyepiece immediately.

After confirmation that the same strength was okay for the M10 viewfinder I ordered the M10 one.

I didn't try the adaptor.

A test at my optician today was worthwhile and revealed that my short-sightedness has diminished and the diopter correction required is now -1.5. A quick search on eBay has resulted in a secondhand purchase and I'll be back in business in a few days.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Good to get it sorted. I assume you verified with a trial diopter.

I’ve not compared the old vs new diopters, and wonder if the glass itself on the M10 diopter is larger in diameter, not just the ring. If so, even though strengths required remain the same, there could be a viewing benefit for using a bigger diopter without an adapter. As always, actual testing is required.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

Good to get it sorted. I assume you verified with a trial diopter.

I’ve not compared the old vs new diopters, and wonder if the glass itself on the M10 diopter is larger in diameter, not just the ring. If so, even though strengths required remain the same, there could be a viewing benefit for using a bigger diopter without an adapter. As always, actual testing is required.

Jeff

Yes the M10 diopter is not only more expensive, the glass is larger in diameter too!

• Like 1