M10M will have what?

PaulJohn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

22 hours ago, pico said:

Have there been any competent tests for such a claim?

Anecdotal but easy enough to find on the web:

“Because high resolution cameras resolve greater detail, there's less wiggle room for camera shake. Subtle vibration not noticeable on a 24-megapixel camera system at 100 percent might be painfully obvious on a 50-megapixel system.”

https://fstoppers.com/education/great-megapixels-come-great-responsibility-guide-new-high-resolution-camera-322188

“... you will need to pay more attention to camera shake and potentially go beyond the reciprocal rule recommended norms. As a result, you might find yourself using a tripod more often than you would like.”

https://photographylife.com/advantages-and-disadvantages-of-low-vs-high-resolution-cameras

I’ve read many others as well. Again, my highest mpx camera is the 6D with 20, so this isn’t something that I have personal knowledge about but it seems it would make sense. 

24mp is my limit for hand held, and I still have pretty steady hands.  I never used my S off tripod because my hit rate for sharp images was much lower due to motion artifact even at relatively high shutter speeds.  I also had to pre-release the mirror and use the electronic cable release or I got motion artifact even at 1/125

16 minutes ago, Likaleica said:

24mp is my limit for hand held, and I still have pretty steady hands.  I never used my S off tripod because my hit rate for sharp images was much lower due to motion artifact even at relatively high shutter speeds.  I also had to pre-release the mirror and use the electronic cable release or I got motion artifact even at 1/125

Something other than pixel count is responsible.

23 hours ago, pico said:

I am afraid I do not consider anecdotes.

No reason to be afraid. As with everything in photography in YMMV. 

Either way, I’m passing on what I’ve read in the past. This may be an urban legend, not not. One more, tho, from Ming Thein:

The simple reason why higher resolution cameras are less forgiving is that for a given angle of view, the camera with the high resolution will put the greater number of pixels per degree of field of view on the subject. This means, that less angular movement is needed before it becomes visible as blur on the image – i.e. you need to be more static than with a lower resolution camera to avoid seeing the effects of motion blur at the pixel level.”

https://blog.mingthein.com/2012/11/05/resolution-shot-discipline-image-quality/

Edited by AceVentura1986

Advertisement (gone after registration)

21 hours ago, Jeff S said:

I can't argue with the author's points.  The measured amount of blur from diffraction or camera motion is irrespective of sensor resolution.  So a 24 mpx image and a 45 mpx image viewed at the same size will show identical blur from diffraction or camera motion. Unfortunately we typically don't view them at the same size. We can't marvel at the fine detail and subtle tone variations in our high-resolution shots if we don't view them at 100%.  Also we normally sharpen at 100% view.  Of course we can make that blur go away by resampling the image to a smaller size, but that sort of defeats the point of the high resolution body.    Personally, I work on my technique so I can enjoy the full size versions.

24 minutes ago, Luke_Miller said:

I can't argue with the author's points.  The measured amount of blur from diffraction or camera motion is irrespective of sensor resolution.  So a 24 mpx image and a 45 mpx image viewed at the same size will show identical blur from diffraction or camera motion. Unfortunately we typically don't view them at the same size. We can't marvel at the fine detail and subtle tone variations in our high-resolution shots if we don't view them at 100%.  Also we normally sharpen at 100% view.  Of course we can make that blur go away by resampling the image to a smaller size, but that sort of defeats the point of the high resolution body.    Personally, I work on my technique so I can enjoy the full size versions.

If the output is a screen view, one might just as well use a phone camera.  But if one makes prints with those higher resolution cameras, then blur should not be a concern, especially at normal print viewing distance. One adjusts PP techniques as needed. My experience is without problem, although I have no interest in monster size prints.

Jeff