Manually selecting white balance

Csacwp

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is too much... It is far easier to correct a myriad of sins in LR or PS than to waste time and effort prior to shooting.

Firstly AWB does a marvelous job 99% of the time and when you don't like it, just fix it later. This presupposes that you are shooting in RAW!

Secondly, you can customize your color palette in LR and PS.

Just go out there and shoot... leave the technical stuff for LR and PS.

Albert  :p  :D  :lol:

Not sure I agree. There are available grey balance targets that are spectrally neutral and will do both. Most white balance targets are at least a little bit grey anyway.

Grey cards are for setting exposure, not color balance. You need a certain density on red channel measured with a densitometer

Wi Bal or other means are for color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The AWB only looks good until you have seen the colors you get with a real white balance reference. The AWB colors usually look cold and lifeless in comparison. I prefer ExpoDisc, because it picks up an average of the ambient light and is less affected by the angle you hold it.

I don't want to waste a lot of time trying to get the colors I want in the post processing, while I can make a reference shot in seconds and get perfect colors at home with just one click!

In my opinion, automatic white balance is the worst solution. Each subsequent photo can have different colors and it looks usually bad. Sometimes I happened to take pictures in AWB mode, and then I sat for hours at LR and tried to set the correct color, especially as the picture had no white or gray element. For example, make a golden grain field in AWB mode.
Usually, the Kelvins temperature setting is not too precise, because in addition to the blue-yellow range, sometimes the magenta-green tint should be set (especially in artificial light), which Leica cameras do not have.
The best solution is to use the White Balance card. Another option is to set Daylight for outdoor photos. It is not perfect but we have at least pictures that are homogeneous in color.
Of course, many times later I adjust the colors in LR, but at least I have a good starting point and the way of further work is consistent.

At the end I would like to point out that the Daylight setting gives different colors compared to the same Kelvins color setting, the difference lies in magenta-green tint.
Edited by olgierdc