kelseyh

Dust in the Q

10 months of ownership from new and no dust problem. The general thinking appears to be that it is not a problem and I suspect it was never such a problem that would make you not want to buy a Q. After all if you wanted the benefit of a 28mm fixed lens FF camera why would you not choose the Q?

Dust entering the Q was never an issue that was simply in the mind. Early releases had an assembly design fault and dust was able to get in. Those of us that experienced the problem are in no doubt. We weren't imagining it. Leica cleaned, repaired and modified our equipment.

So.... If you think it was never a problem .... Because you never experienced it .. that's fine. But you shouldn't be informing potential buyers that it was an imagined problem.

I know that since my repair, the problem hasn't returned.

If a potential buyer is looking to acquire a Q that is around 18 months to 2 years old, then examine it carefully.

Edited by lucerne

I had to send mine to Leica for dust removal. It was free of dusts for about one year and suddenly a giant dust appeared in all my photos so big I couldn’t deal with it. My Q is not of the first batches since I purchased it in April 2016 so almost one year after first release.

Don’t be so confident, it really can happen any time.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In my experience it can happen occasionally on all fixed-lens cameras. It would not keep me from buying one; the various customer services can easily clean it and the cost is usually quite reasonable to nil.

In my experience it can happen occasionally on all fixed-lens cameras. It would not keep me from buying one; the various customer services can easily clean it and the cost is usually quite reasonable to nil.

Thank you. That was exactly the point I made: “it was never such a problem as would make you not want to buy a Q”. I did not mean to convey it was an issue “that was simply in the mind”. Clearly, as I know from my DSLR, you know when you have dust spots and I do not doubt that those who sent their Qs for service were not imagining it.

Got my Q directly when it came out. Still love it, never regretted buying it. It‘s my only camera beside my phone.

After nearly 2 years I suddenly had dust on the sensor. Horrible. Sent it to Leica, was cleaned on warranty. I have no idea whether they just cleaned it or made some changes to the camera to avoid this issue in the future.

I wonder what is going to happen when dust reapears now when being out of warranty? Any experience here in the forum?

-tk

Hello,

Is dust getting into the Q still an issue even with the new production runs?

Thanks for any comments

The first series of the Q had a dust problem. Some changes have been made in production and sealing, so that the problem no longer exists.

I just spotted a dot from a used Q that I bought recently.  I can get over it but I would really like to get it cleaned out sometime later.  Does anyone know where to ship the Leica Q around the pacific area?  Nearby Japan possibly?

My first one suddenly filled up with dust after about a year of use and rather than cleaned it they replaced it. I then went through another 2 cameras before I got one that I would accept due to it being decentered. I know that Leica Mayfair will clean the sensor for free if it does happen. Great Camera and the only real upgrade it needs is weather sealing. Anyway I wouldn't worry about it and just enjoy it

Edited by viramati

A bit late to the topic, but I'm thinking of buying a used Q, and am mulling over possible sources (open market/auction, Leica dealer with limited guarantee and so forth).

Given this dust problem seems to have a point at which it was fixed after seemingly appearing in some early production run cameras, I have two questions.

First, is there any approximate date before and after this was a problem? Month and year would be good to know, but I guess year is likely to be about the best dating.

Secondly, is there any way of easily identifying the date of manufacture of a Q from the serial numbers, and, if so, what is it?

The alternative is to buy a new Q, but that bumps the cost up from somewhere in the mid £2k to not far off £4k. I need to take several deep breaths to go that high.

My Q suffered repeated issues with dust. Purchased in 2015. Serial 493xxx. Final clean at main dealer under warranty in 2017.  Not used again and sold. Once the warranty has expired, repairs are chargeable and may not be cheap.

proceed with caution if buying used!

18 months on my Q, used nearly every day, seldom in any kind of case.  No dust yet.

6 minutes ago, stuny said:

18 months on my Q, used nearly every day, seldom in any kind of case.  No dust yet.

Yours, Presumably newer, improved,  and under warranty.  The OP wants to know which early releases (now well  out of warranty) should be avoided.  

Edited by lucerne
Clarity

On 9/9/2019 at 8:25 PM, lucerne said:

Yours, Presumably newer, improved,  and under warranty.  The OP wants to know which early releases (now well  out of warranty) should be avoided.  

Thanks for the replies.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding from this, and other "Q dust" discussions, is that there is a point (i.e. a date)  before which the cameras produced were prone to the problem, and after which this was solved or mitigated. I believe from the information available that, if this is so, the turning point can be dated only to a year, and some say this is 2016.

As the Q was introduced in 2015, I'm trying to ascertain what subsequent year's production had the dust problem addressed.