The rocketing price of the 35mm Summicron eight element

colint544

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 minutes ago, colint544 said:

I'll be curious to see how the upcoming 35 Summaron 2.8 re-issue compares to the original.

Looking forward to this one. Judging by re-issues to date, should be very good with non of the potential  'old' lens issues.

That said and also using current reissues as a guide, may not have any impact on original issue lens prices.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pedaes said:

How come the only? Are all other 34 year olds dead?

By me, I meant france 😸

48 minutes ago, Danner said:

Makes me feel a bit better about the V4 35 'Cron I spent US $3k for the other day.  Like new condition, with all accessories, and just back from a full refurb and CLA from Wetzlar, and with a 1-year Leica factory warranty.  Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Black Canada ? 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, colint544 said:

Yes. They seem thinner on the ground than before. Not seen one at Red Dot Cameras in a long time. Quick look at eBay, and someone is wanting almost three thousand UK pounds for this one. Five years ago, these were sub £500.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

That’s one seller who thinks that because he has the box he deserves that much. They average between 1500 and 2000. 

25 minutes ago, colint544 said:

I'll be curious to see how the upcoming 35 Summaron 2.8 re-issue compares to the original.

Not happening for now. I think you need to go take a look at the “breaking news” thread and get up to date 😆 it’s likely going to be the much more interesting summilux 35 Pre asph. 

21 minutes ago, ianman said:

Oh? What have I missed? Is this official?

It was suggested by Leica Rumours. They announced this and the Nocti f1.2 and the BP M10-Pat same time. Perhaps they are only 66% correct, although their track record is pretty good. If Steven is correct, this has not been picked-up by Leica Rumours which raises doubt. We shall see.

https://leicarumors.com/2020/08/23/new-leica-rumors-two-new-vintage-historical-heritage-lenses-and-a-new-m10-p-black-painted-special-edition-camera.aspx/

Edited by pedaes
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

21 minutes ago, pedaes said:

It was suggested by Leica Rumours. They announced this and the Nocti f1.2 and the BP M10-Pat same time. Perhaps they are only 66% correct, although their track record is pretty good. If Steven is correct, this has not been picked-up by Leica Rumours which raises doubt. We shall see.

https://leicarumors.com/2020/08/23/new-leica-rumors-two-new-vintage-historical-heritage-lenses-and-a-new-m10-p-black-painted-special-edition-camera.aspx/

Leicarumours is the worst. They get so many things wrong. 
Leica is currently testing several options for a 35 reissue. 

1 minute ago, Steven said:

Leica is currently testing several options for a 35 reissue.

They had your BP M10-P correct way back!

With your connections perhaps you should start a website 'Stevens Leica Rumours'. Suspect your information would soon dry up or they would be giving you spoofs!

Just now, pedaes said:

With your connections perhaps you should start a website 'Stevens Leica Rumours'. Suspect your information would soon dry up or they would be giving you spoofs!

As far as I know, there is no BP M10P. 

As far as I know, they copy pasted my post about the BP M10R. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pedaes said:

Steven actually reported this weeks ahead of Leica Rumors.  Rumors (Peter) has blown some bold predictions in recent years, marring a track record that had been rather good beginning with the M9 release.  Peter even had an NDA with Leica for the Q release. But he then messed up royally with the Leica C-M predictions, even doubling down, only to have Leica make a rare public statement refuting the claim.  Then he twice predicted the timing of the SL2 release, wrong both times, and ultimately missed his target by a year.  Steven, by comparison, has been quite accurate on a number of claims, only initially missing the exact focal range of the new SL zoom.

Jeff

12 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

Steven actually reported this weeks ahead of Leica Rumors.  Rumors (Peter) has blown some bold predictions in recent years, marring a track record that had been rather good beginning with the M9 release.  Peter even had an NDA with Leica for the Q release. But he then messed up royally with the Leica C-M predictions, even doubling down, only to have Leica make a rare public statement refuting the claim.  Then he twice predicted the timing of the SL2 release, wrong both times, and ultimately missed his target by a year.  Steven, by comparison, has been quite accurate on a number of claims, only initially missing the exact focal range of the new SL zoom.

Jeff

Thank you. 
Peter is wrong again with some M11 rumors. 

6 hours ago, Steven said:

Not happening for now. I think you need to go take a look at the “breaking news” thread and get up to date 😆 it’s likely going to be the much more interesting summilux 35 Pre asph. 

I hope you are right. I don’t see the point of reissuing a very common lens like the 35mm Summaron. 

On 7/11/2021 at 6:08 PM, ianman said:

I can find many on eBay.... this one seems kinda strange https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265222177284?hash=item3dc0794204:g:pFsAAOSwVt9g5gLD

It's the "postkamera version"... a pure collectible (does not provide focusing) of a certain interest.

About the first Summicron 35... I think its value is driven by collectors : is an historically important item (as all the Summicrons), and has also the "dual source" (Wetzlar and Midland) : an example of similar behavior of price is the first Elmarit 28... definitely not better than its later brothers... but look at the prices made by items descrbed as "9 elements Wetzlar"...

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 1

On 7/11/2021 at 7:11 PM, colint544 said:

Yes. They seem thinner on the ground than before. Not seen one at Red Dot Cameras in a long time. Quick look at eBay, and someone is wanting almost three thousand UK pounds for this one. Five years ago, these were sub £500.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The "dual mount" box is maybe more interesting than the lens in itself... 😁