The rocketing price of the 35mm Summicron eight element

colint544

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What's strange is I have never been that impressed with the image quality of any Leica 35mm Cron.  The Zeiss lenses have always produced higher quality images IMO.  I do own a 35 ASPH and enjoy its size and handling.

I agree completely.

I find it really surprising that the v1 is appreciating so greatly when the ASPH has remained relatively static in price. Which is as much to say, that although Leica is now asking $3100-plus for it new, the sold price on eBay has varied from $1800 to $2100--a significant discount. It's a terrific piece of kit and an essential in my opinion.

• Like 2

I agree completely.

I find it really surprising that the v1 is appreciating so greatly when the ASPH has remained relatively static in price. Which is as much to say, that although Leica is now asking $3100-plus for it new, the sold price on eBay has varied from $1800 to $2100--a significant discount. It's a terrific piece of kit and an essential in my opinion.

Collectible is all about unavailability, is it not? Exceptions in my experience of fields other than Leica are things that were such a failure that only a few were made. With Leica which has a remarkable record of success I  suspect dropping one element was simply a pragmatic decision. What's to get excited about? Oh, rarity. :)

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

What's strange is I have never been that impressed with the image quality of any Leica 35mm Cron.  The Zeiss lenses have always produced higher quality images IMO.  I do own a 35 ASPH and enjoy its size and handling.

Interesting. I'm only now getting (back) into digital seriously, and have finally decided on Leica precisely because when I stare at pictures produced by Leica and Zeiss glass, I continue to see a difference. For me, at least, both have that "pop" on the main subject (the medium format look) and Zeiss probably more than Leica. But the micro-contrasts in Leica are out of this world. As often as not, for me a Leica picture tells a story, not just identifies a subject. There's depth, tension, something that makes me want to think more deeply about what I'm looking at.

I've limited means for cameras right now, and (say) a Sony a7riii plus a couple of Zeiss Loxia lenses makes sooooo much more sense financially. But, for me at least, the Leica look is very real. YMMV.

Sorry, re-reading this, maybe I'm over-interpreting your statement which may pertain to a specific lens.

Edited by bags27
  • Like 1

Interesting. I'm only now getting (back) into digital seriously, and have finally decided on Leica precisely because when I stare at pictures produced by Leica and Zeiss glass, I continue to see a difference. For me, at least, both have that "pop" on the main subject (the medium format look) and Zeiss probably more than Leica. But the micro-contrasts in Leica are out of this world. As often as not, for me a Leica picture tells a story, not just identifies a subject. There's depth, tension, something that makes me want to think more deeply about what I'm looking at.

I've limited means for cameras right now, and (say) a Sony a7riii plus a couple of Zeiss Loxia lenses makes sooooo much more sense financially. But, for me at least, the Leica look is very real. YMMV.

Sorry, re-reading this, maybe I'm over-interpreting your statement which may pertain to a specific lens.

Very interesting observation.  I should clarify I'm only referring to the 35mm Crons.  I've never had a 35 Lux which I'm sure is wonderful.  I will also state that Leica's 50's are out of this world good.  I have the Lux ASPH and it's insanely good; IMO better than anything from other brands for the size.

• Like 1

Collectible is all about unavailability, is it not? Exceptions in my experience of fields other than Leica are things that were such a failure that only a few were made. With Leica which has a remarkable record of success I  suspect dropping one element was simply a pragmatic decision. What's to get excited about? Oh, rarity. :)

If you shoot a Monochrom, it's more than a collectible.

The propensity of Leica lenses of that era to haze, presumably due to lubricant outgassing, has left fewer and fewer pristine examples around 6 decades later. Some years back, I found one in great shape and sent to DAG in the US for a CLA. Despite the careful cleaning, a layer of haze could not be removed. Don Goldberg said this was a common issue.

• Like 3

• 3 years later...
On 2/11/2018 at 1:20 AM, a.noctilux said:

Omitted.

Quote translations, FYR.

The characteristics derived from Mandler's original project; the seventh lens, highlighted in yellow, was made with a glass with refractive index 1.788 and Abbe number 47.44, a concomitance of high refraction / low dispersion excellent for the time and obtained without resorting to radioactive thorium, as was the case in precedence.

The incredible components of the seventh lens of the Summicron 35/2 first type: no trace of the usual silica sand but important shares of rare earths, on all of them almost 50% of lanthanum oxide!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Erato

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 2/9/2018 at 4:56 PM, colint544 said:

Anyway, I've just looked at Red Dot Cameras in London, and they're selling a version 1 eight element for £2200.

The truth is that at this price, it must actually be an ugly copy in bad condition. If you want a mint one today, it's more around 4-5K, and up to 7 or 8 if it has a box. 

I think 4000 dollars for this lens is well worth it. It's my favourite Summicron. I love it's rendering, especially on black and white, and the build quality and ergonomics is just incredible. It does not bother me to pay a premium as I know that If I change my mind next year, I won't lose money. 

Also, for those like me who care for the look of the camera, it looks so beautiful on a black paint MP. Dream combo. 

On 2/10/2018 at 10:44 PM, abrewer said:

I agree completely.

Because the ASPH is the most boring lens I've ever had the painful chance to try. 

42 minutes ago, Steven said:

The truth is that at this price, it must actually be an ugly copy in bad condition.

The post you quoted is over two years old and at that time this price was more or less standard for that lens in good condition. I've seen the prices of it recently and they are totally ludicrous... more than doubled, not because the lens is worth it but because of internet chatter. It's the same story as the "king of bokeh" thing... it was mentioned once on a blog (and IIRC the person who wrote it bitterly regrets having done so), and the prices and "want" factor went through the roof.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Steven said:

The truth is that at this price, it must actually be an ugly copy in bad condition.

You're treading on dangerous ground here, Steven, but you might not realise it. 

I know @Red Dot Cameras well and have dealt with them since they opened their doors over ten years ago and I can tell you from first-hand experience that Red Dot Cameras is very protective of its hard-earned, excellent reputation and would not risk tarnishing its good reputation by offering lenses for sale that are in bad condition. 

Red Dot Cameras goes to great lengths to accurately describe the used stock that it sells using online photographs to back its descriptions up and has a sound record for recompensing customers who are not wholly satisfied, which is commonly a result of subjective expectation on a customer's behalf.

It would sadden me if a throw-away comment such as yours was to inadvertently hurt the reputation of a highly reputable, family-owned, Premier Leica Dealership.

Pete.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, farnz said:

accurately describe the used stock

I can totally support this with practical experience. Ivor has sold several items for me on commission, and his grading has always been one less than I thought , and I was trying to be realistic! 

PS The lens being refered to from 2018 is now sold, and I am not sure @Stevenwould be familiar with 2018 prices!😀

Edited by pedaes
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Steven said:

The truth is that at this price, it must actually be an ugly copy in bad condition. If you want a mint one today, it's more around 4-5K, and up to 7 or 8 if it has a box. 

Asking prices are one thing. Achieved prices are quite another. Lens prices do fluctuate too depending on availability and how many are looking for a copy. Personally I would say that if Red Dot are asking a price for a lens then its probably a realistic dealer price for the lens in the condition that they state it to be in. I agree with Pete that they have a good reputation which is well deserved. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, farnz said:

You're treading on dangerous ground here, Steven, but you might not realise it. 

I know @Red Dot Cameras well and have dealt with them since they opened their doors over ten years ago and I can tell you from first-hand experience that Red Dot Cameras is very protective of its hard-earned, excellent reputation and would not risk tarnishing its good reputation by offering lenses for sale that are in bad condition. 

Red Dot Cameras goes to great lengths to accurately describe the used stock that it sells using online photographs to back its descriptions up and has a sound record for recompensing customers who are not wholly satisfied, which is commonly a result of subjective expectation on a customer's behalf.

It would sadden me if a throw-away comment such as yours was to inadvertently hurt the reputation of a highly reputable, family-owned, Premier Leica Dealership.

Pete.

Hear, hear!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, pgk said:

Red Dot are asking a price for a lens then its probably a realistic dealer price

In fairness I think Steven had probably missed that it was a 2018 post he was talking about, but Pete was correct to get the point across as these posts remain on record for a long time and Steven's post could be misleading.

• Thanks 2

I’ve just seen one at close to €4000 and far from what I would call a good condition. I was thinking of selling my just as good as the Summicron, near mint, boxed, 35mm Summaron f/2,8 but I might just hang on to it for now and sell it in a couple of years! 

Edited by ianman
  • Like 1

A quick look suggests that the problem with Leica 35mm M lenses is a lack of (many) of the on the market at the moment which seems to be driving asking prices up. As I said these are asking prices though.

4 hours ago, ianman said:

The post you quoted is over two years old and at that time this price was more or less standard for that lens in good condition. I've seen the prices of it recently and they are totally ludicrous... more than doubled, not because the lens is worth it but because of internet chatter. It's the same story as the "king of bokeh" thing... it was mentioned once on a blog (and IIRC the person who wrote it bitterly regrets having done so), and the prices and "want" factor went through the roof.

I noticed the date after. But it’s a good thing to see that someone who was worried about the price of an item should have actually bought two or three of them. 

It makes me feel less crazy about the 100k I spent in MP bodies this week, when everyone is telling me that I’m paying a ridiculous price for it. Let’s see who wins long term 🥳🤗🤫

1 hour ago, ianman said:

I’ve just seen one at close to €4000 and far from what I would call a good condition. I was thinking of selling my just as good as the Summicron, near mint, boxed, 35mm Summaron f/2,8 but I might just hang on to it for now and sell it in a couple of years! 

The Summaron 2.8 is certainly rocketing in price now. If you can even find one. I'm hanging onto mine as well. Mainly because it's such a great lens.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Steven said:

It makes me feel less crazy about the 100k I spent in MP bodies this week, when everyone is telling me that I’m paying a ridiculous price for it. Let’s see who wins long term 🥳🤗🤫

The prices you pay should be what you are happy to pay and is really nobody else’s business. What’s to win though? Are these investments?

10 minutes ago, ianman said:

The prices you pay should be what you are happy to pay and is really nobody else’s business. What’s to win though? Are these investments?

They are funner ways to spend my money than the usual investments I make, while being safer ways invest my money at the same time. 

• Like 1