Considering switching from neck strap to wrist strap

Csacwp

It all depends on the type of shooing you do.  

For street work (not my style) it may be an  easy way to shoot quickly and more unobtrusively, dropping the camera down to your side as soon as you finish your shot, but

personally, I never liked a wrist strap; it means one hand is always tied up holding the camera, and I would rather have both hands free.  It also makes changing lenses on the go a challenge.

I use a wrist strap for the M10 and I think it is quite secure. The thing I like about it is that the camera is always in my hand ready for a shot when I am walking around.  It is also what annoys me about having a wrist strap... I don't ever have both hands free. Also, If I sit down at a table in a coffee shop for example, I have to set the camera on the table rather than have it secured to my body. Still, I prefer it over a neck strap.

Here is the brand I Have:   https://gariz.com.au/collections/wrist-straps

• Like 2

I use both. Most of the time i prefer a wrist strap muth especially during winter it is nice to let go of the cold camera from time to time. 

Personally I really like the Peak Design system where the straps are easy to remove and change around. The straps are also very soft and easy to store. I use the leash and cuff. Also the Slide for my large DSLR. Another thing I like about them is the easy adjustability. 

I would probably prefer to use no strap at all but I'm too scared for that. Then again I'm the type of person that have to close my fist when going close to heights out of fear from dropping my ring. Not that I have ever done so. 

• Like 1

I usually wrap the neck strap around my wrist. Sturdy attached to the wrist and within seconds around the neck with both hands free. Back to the hand/wrist takes a bit more than a couple of seconds though.

You've been a forum member long enough to know that common sense doesn't work around here, didn't you detect there is the scent of a purchase in the air?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

You've been a forum member long enough to know that common sense doesn't work around here, didn't you detect there is the scent of a purchase in the air?

My bad :-)

in which case I would suggest to get separate neck and wrist straps for each day of the week, with seasonal themes (for mix-and-match purposes). Wrist straps sold for $200USD are to be ignored, because; more expensive is better :D

• Haha 1

This leather strap is extra special, because it has a battery. Unfortunately, it tends to have a short life. :lol:

Link: https://photophique.com/best-dslr-wrist-straps/#9th

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I use both. I also like to wrap my neck strap around my wrist as a sometimes wrist strap solution.

Downside to neck straps are sometimes when not on your neck, you run the risk of catching it on something and jerking the camera out of your hand, and more bulk to stuff in the bag. I like the simplicity of no strap and a wrist strap is the next best thing.

My feeling is if everyone got a look at how the strap lugs are attached, they wouldn't be so quick to hang all the camera's weight off just one of them.  If the wrist strap is attached to the tripod socket, either alone or in tandem with the strap lug, that's a different animal.

When shooting with three bodies at a venue where I cannot set my camera bag down (such as a stage event), I carry three bodies with long neck straps: one body on my chest with a normal lens, one body on my shoulder with a wide-angle lens, and one body on my other shoulder with a telephoto.

However, when I am shooting with just one body at a time, I routinely use wrist straps because long neck straps just get in my way.

Why would you wrap a neck strap around your wrist? In what situations do you find yourself doing this? I would think if your camera was hanging off your neck you just simply raise it to your eye and take the picture?

Holding the camera in the hand while doing street photography for example. It less conspicuous.

The long neck strap might catch something that rips the camera out of your hand, so wrap the neck strap around your wrist. And when you need both hands free, just unwrap and put it around your neck. Which is easier than trying to get an M10 with 50mm lux in your pocket.

• Like 1

I use wrist straps all the time with M240 & CL - less conspicuous, they don't swing uncontrolled like a neck strap (even cross-body), and always ready for a shot. I carry a small case (Fogg b-laika or Domke F5XB for camera + 1-2 spare lenses) as well, so tuck the camera in there if I want to use both hands, or to get it out of sight.

• Like 2