ZM black aint finish

jonatdonuts

google search ?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

No experience with black paint bodies sorry but my ZM 50/1.5 and 35/2.8 lenses look pretty well the same as Leica black anodized ones besides red instead of yellow or orange engravings, silver bayonet for hoods, focus bump and blue dot if i don't forget anything.

Ugly looking lenses.  Leica's offerings are smaller and aesthetically better.

I would not generalize this way. ZM 50/1.5 and 35/2.8 lenses are very small, nicely made and have a superb IQ with very smooth focus action. I don't find them ugly at all but this is subjective obviously. Better use the 50/1.5 with an EVF though as it suffers from focus shift. But if you're after a portrait lens forgiving at f/1.5-f/2 and very sharp above this one is my favorite ever. Now the tiny 35/2.8 is very contrasty and is not forgiving at all. But what a sharp lens. It has virtually no flare, no CA, no distortion but vignettes more than its Leica counterparts. Here with the Summicron 35/2 asph v1.

Actually the Zeiss Biogon-C 35/2.8 is the best looking lens on my Monochrom 1, the red numbers match the red on the camera markings- also the 35 that works best on that camera, BTW. It doesn't need an aspherical element, it seems. Matter of design.

• Like 1

To answer the OP: the Leica cameras in black have a dull black finish, whereas the ZM lenses (eg, the 50mm f1.4) have a satiny, more reflective finish. However, these differences are slight. Agree about the chrome outer ring on the Zeiss lenses (7, above): wish they didn't have them but they look less obtrusive on the silver finish lenses. Blue dot rather than red, of course   :lol:  :lol: .

• Like 1

Some are smaller, but not all. The 50mm Planar have the exact same length as a Summicron, but have a 43mm filter (Leica 39mm). The 2,8/28 Biogon is bigger than the Elmarit, but the 2,8/35 Biogon-C and 1,5/50 Sonnar-C is really small.

I like how the Zeiss lenses look on a Leica.

To answer the OP: the Leica cameras in black have a dull black finish, whereas the ZM lenses (eg, the 50mm f1.4) have a satiny, more reflective finish. However, these differences are slight. Agree about the chrome outer ring on the Zeiss lenses (7, above): wish they didn't have them but they look less obtrusive on the silver finish lenses. Blue dot rather than red, of course   :lol:  :lol: .

+1 about glossy vs satin matte finish but the chrome outer ring of ZM lenses is a bayonet for use of the sturdy ZM hoods. Same about CV lenses like 35/1.2, 35/1.4 or 40/1.4 BTW. Any painting would wear out there unless plastic is used for the bayonet i guess. Better way to hide the bayonet is to use it i.e. to put a lens hood on ;).

Edit: Zeiss Ikon lenses for Contarex and perhaps Contaflex (not sure) had that same bayonet if memory serves.

Edited by lct
  • Like 3

+1 about glossy vs satin matte finish [...]

Not so sure. Just checked and i don't see any significant difference actually. My black anodized Leica, ZM and CV lenses have the same satin matte finish more or less. I mean on ZM 35/2.8 and 50/1.5 as i have no experience with other ZM lenses though.