How to capture fast moving kids?

TrickyMrT

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My son (1,5 years old ) is growing/ moving / running , and it´s challenging to capture the cute moments with the M10.

This is my indoor setup:

- M10
- 35mm Sumilux (latest version)
- Shutter speed 250
- Aperture F8
- ISO 3200 - 6400
- Zone focusing ( Center or 45 degrees left= far or right= near )

I often miss him, and the hit rate is extremely low.

With the APO 50mm, it is nearly impossible to capture him when moving.

Do you have any tips? Should I purchase a Flash?

Any tips are welcome :)

Light is my biggest issue. When I choose a lower shutter speed, the images are looking to shack. When I use a lower Aperture like F2 or less, it's always out of focus.

If I take a higher ISO, for example, ISO 10.000 images looking flat.

By now I did not found a good solution.

Which flash could you recommend?

sony a9? forbidden brand in the forum?  :D

lumix G9? 

X100F?

leica CL, TL2 maybe? 

use wider lens to get more in focus maybe?

if you buy a flash and use it with m10 make sure its the leica one. because other brand will not work with high speed sync. its limited up to 1/200 i think. its kinda useless to have non-leica brand if you want high speed shutter to capture moving subject.

i just bough the sf58, the HSS working great on m10. but its just silly to attach the big flash on top M10. you will not have the speed to move your head around. its heavy.

Edited by blacksinner

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Can you explain what you mean by " Zone focusing ( Center or 45 degrees left= far or right= near )?"  Are you pre-setting a focus point, and waiting for the child to enter that depth of field zone?

While it can be done, realistically, a manual focus camera will be a challenge for kids and action indoors, even at a high ISO setting.

Edited by RonM

Can you explain what you mean by " Zone focusing ( Center or 45 degrees left= far or right= near )?"  Are you pre-setting a focus point, and waiting for the child to enter that depth of field zone?

This is correct. I try to prefocus and hope the kid is moving into the right place

While it can be done, realistically, a manual focus camera will be a challenge for kids and action indoors, even at a high ISO setting.

It is a challenge to get a picture of moving objects.

Of course, i thought about a different system just for indoor pictures. On the other hand, I love my M10, and my set of lenses is lovely.

I would miss the rendering.

Maybe I will get a sony body too? Has someone here experience with this adapter?

https://techartpro.com/

Could this be a solution for my problem?

So I set the camera to eye detection and let the focus adapter do the rest

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

Any tips are welcome :)

...you. have to be faster  ;)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

pre focus and try to move your cam with your kids.

its a challenge ,go for it.

lambda.

When I saw the topic title I thought of suggesting a rather large version of a butterfly net .....

A manually focussing rangefinder camera is always going to be a challenge when trying to photograph fast moving subjects in low light conditions. I'm not sure that there is any easy answer to be honest - personally I'd pre-focus and accept a large failure rate. What you are attempting to do is quite simply difficult.

Your indoor conditions are rather bright if you can shoot at f/8, 1/250s. I would forget about zone focusing in the first place, doesn't work that well on digital unless you refrain from viewing them at 100% magnification. My only tips, accept blur on anything but eyes, prefocus if you can and focus where the kid is more steady. Also i would shoot at f/4-1600iso rather than f/8-6400iso to avoid digital artefacts especially if you have to push in PP. 

Edited by lct

If you are rich, and don’t mind a heavy camera, get an SL with 24-90mm. If not get a Fuji X-T2 with any medium range zoom (kit zoom is fine). You could get the whole kit for half or less than the cost of an average M lens. Use the M10 for the more static artistic and beauty shots. They grow up very quickly.

Edited by Budfox

It IS possible to capture the kids with an M. I was on paternity leave for 4 months with my now oldest daughter (she was about 10months old when I started being home with her) and was able to get about 1-2 real keepers/day with her (of which I posted about 1 picture every second day to third day on a small blogg I ran). The key is not to pre focus but instead try and distract them, give them a toy (gives you the oppurtinty to take 1-3 pictures before the lose interest), something to eat, a set of house keys to explore or just put them in front of the TV (Teletubbies works surprisingly well). BUT you still need to be FAST when it comes to nailing focus, set the time dial to A, lSO to AUTO and depending on your lens (I would recommend 35 or 50) minimum shutter of 1/60 respectively 1/125. It takes some practise and I still had days when "all she wanted was my camera", but I still managed to get enough pictures to make a small photobook of my 4 months (gave to them to friends and relatives).

Here is a few examples (showed before on the forum, shoot with M 240)

Summicron 50 f2

10132874116_377fe3c72e_c_d.jpg

Elmarit 28 f4

10132795955_8d6fd3b7d6_c_d.jpg

When they get older you can just give them an M as "distraction" :p:P:

32341573295_412783b4f8_c_d.jpg

Edited by mmx_2
  • Like 7

Does someone has experince with the https://techartpro.com/ adapter?

I try to get better, but when i try to shoot with my 50mm APO i´m always to late or i need to take a high aperture with all negative effects like lower shutter time or high ISO.

So i thought, it would be maybe a good idea to get the Adapter in combination with a A7r III ?

What do you think?

The techart solution will still be way too slow. There are quite a few videos of it on YouTube but since it moves the whole lens back and forth it will not be a fast solution.

I did have a D800 before but even with “razor fast” AFC it was difficult to follow the kids. Distraction, practice and some luck is the key. A 28 or 35 will be “easier” since they offer better “minimum shutter speed before blur” and more DOF out of the box (with 24MP) you can easily crop the 28 or 35 in post to get a nice tight “50-view”.

• Like 1