Rumored SF60 with SFC1 Commander

sillbeers15

Still no words about the price and/or availability?

Last communication I had with Leica a couple of days ago indicated that it will be announced in early June followed by availability soon.

This is the part that eats me up dealing with Leica, just a rebadged product takes nine months before it will become available. I started my communication with them since Q4 2017.

• Like 2

Directly from the quick start guide.....

"Additionally, the Leica SF C1 can also be used together with Nissin1 system-compatible flash units. For further details on such units, please see their instructions."

BRILLIANT!!!!!

Gordon

Good news - but too late - I couldn't wait for a modern flash system from Leica and I've gone Godox!

Edited by LocalHero1953

Advertisement (gone after registration)

"Additionally, the Leica SF C1 can also be used together with Nissin1 system-compatible flash units. For further details on such units, please see their instructions."

BRILLIANT!!!!!

Gordon

So that means Leica users can add a ton of NAS compatible Nissin flashes (i60a & i700) as OCF at a very reasonable cost ( not too worried about damage & lost while placing them around) comparing to SF60 in price.

Good news - but too late - I couldn't wait for a modern flash system from Leica and I've gone Godox!

I have too and the Godox system has been working brilliantly for me. I’m still using SF58s at weddings and functions. I’ll upgrade to SF60s for that to get some more options. I also have the i60 for Sony and Olympus because I like the size.

More options is good. I use flash a lot.

Gordon

Just placed my preorder with Leica Store SG for one unit of SFC1 & two units of SF60. When it arrives, I’ll test the compatibility with i60a, if it works, I will add another three i60as or i700 flashes.

• Like 1

Any other flash is fine if you do not desire to fill light on outdoor daylight situation.

Rarely, in my case. I have the SF64 if I only want on-camera flash, and I might be tempted to waste the money I paid for it just to get the SF60 and its vastly more usable interface. But only for single flash, on camera use.

Rarely, in my case. I have the SF64 if I only want on-camera flash, and I might be tempted to waste the money I paid for it just to get the SF60 and its vastly more usable interface. But only for single flash, on camera use.

Just curious why not consider OCF application as it offers much more versatility and creativity.

Just curious why not consider OCF application as it offers much more versatility and creativity.

I use off-camera flash mainly, and solitary on-camera flash rarely.

Outdoors I prefer available light, or a reflector if I really need extra help.

For off-camera flash I would far rather balance everything up myself manually than let a TTL system get in the way. Godox is excellent for manual off-camera flash (with a Godox V850 on-camera if necessary), and far cheaper than Nissin/Leica. Their large lithium batteries are handy as well.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

For off-camera flash I would far rather balance everything up myself manually than let a TTL system get in the way. Godox is excellent for manual off-camera flash (with a Godox V850 on-camera if necessary), and far cheaper than Nissin/Leica. Their large lithium batteries are handy as well.

Similar to the Profoto A1, the SF C1 allows you to do a trial on TTL, if appropriate switch it to manual by the flick of a button which the TTL lighting memory will be locked into manual light setting to carry on or further fine tuned. There are times I do need HSS to fill light to shadow when I choose a shallow DOF in outdoor daylight situation. Manual flash application then do have its limitation & challenge.

Does it give you TTL and HSS (or something adequately equivalent) with Leicas? Not teasing, just asking.

Does it give you TTL and HSS (or something adequately equivalent) with Leicas? Not teasing, just asking.

No - I don't need either for my uses.

I prefer manual - often with a bit of mental arithmetic to set each flash in the right ballpark based on guide numbers, then adjustment with the dials on the flash unit (this is where the SF64 falls down - no dials!).

I do quite a bit of home testing (with my wife as an occasionally tolerant model) so I have an idea of what output I will get with my flash units with different modifiers.

No - I don't need either for my uses.

I prefer manual - often with a bit of mental arithmetic to set each flash in the right ballpark based on guide numbers, then adjustment with the dials on the flash unit (this is where the SF64 falls down - no dials!).

I do quite a bit of home testing (with my wife as an occasionally tolerant model) so I have an idea of what output I will get with my flash units with different modifiers.

Understood. For me the only thing of interest really is to sync with higher shutter speeds. No issues at all with manual. I use a Cactus and for instance with the Olympus E-M1 (manual) HSS is possible.

I'm with Paul, mostly on flashes. I too use OCF extensively and have a very comprehensive Godox set up that does almost anything. That replaced my Elinchrom rangers. The Godox controller is brilliant. As are the speedring adaptors.

I also have the (lesser) need for on and off camera TTL. rarely need HSS. If I do I have cameras with leaf shutters. And I already have an i60 in Nikon, Sony and Olympus mount that I can use with the Leica controller. So I'll have an ultra small 5 light set up in a tiny case. So cool!

I too would prefer if there was a Godox solution based on the 860 and lithium flash but since I never need to mix TTL and manual it's a small problem at best. And the Godox modifiers and holders are so well designed I can use theses tiny things with my existing softboxes etc as well, except the Bayonet beauty dish I have. If I didn't rely on my lights so heavily I'd get a controller and single flash and just have that.

Leica recently replaced my SF64, so it's here, new in a box. If I sell that and a couple of SF58's I'll end up with a bit less gear and more capability. Still have the SF40 for backup and use on my M/CL.

So for me, there's a place for both and they'll both get a lot of use.

Gordon

• Like 1

I agree that the Godox controls are great. If you prefer manual control I couldn't find any system better integrated for the money. And I've already dropped an AD200 without breaking it! I have 2x AD200, 1x V850 and XPro controller. The only nuisance is that my Sekonic L-478 meter was bought with pocket wizard triggering in mind, so won't trigger the Godox. I just have to trigger the lights for metering with the XPro controller in my hand, and remember to put it back on the camera afterwards.

Edit: Oh, and I also had to have a total speedring refit from Profoto to Bowens, because the Godox speedring for the AD200 (Bowens fit) is so effective.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

Th downloadable SF60 Instruction Manual states that there is GN table on the inside back cover but it's not included in the download … and the Appendix shows the Guide Number Table as being on Page ???

Appendix

Maintenance and care.................................................................26
Conditioning the capacitor of the flash unit..................................26
Troubleshooting..........................................................................26
Spare parts.................................................................................27
Technical data.............................................................................28
Leica service addresses..............................................................29
Guide number table....................................................................???

How are potential buyers supposed to know the various GNs for specific focal lengths unless the downloads include same?

And if the GN is 60, it should be stated as 60m. ... and also the specific focal length applicable. 

The download needs amendment to document the full GNs data. 

dunk 

• Like 1

BRILLIANT!!!!!

Gordon

Gordon, you are a reference for me mainly speaking about flashes then let me ask you  two questions:

1-  Does it mean that with the SF C1 can we shoot Leica SF 60  and, at the same time, others (Leica or not) with receivers Nissin standard (TTL and/or Manual modes)?

2- Do  we need in that case install  in the CF C1 a Nissin firmware, buy it (would be easy or free?), downloaded or by mean a little card from them?

I've SF 58 and SF 40 and an old Metz 45 CT5 and as amateur I'm trying to do some studio intents.

My best regards,

Francisco