Rumored SF60 with SFC1 Commander

sillbeers15

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would love to use the Profoto A1, the soft light output plus the simplicity of the system is a dream for users. Unfortunately I cannot make myself buy it as the most desirable feature of the a1 to me is off camera HSS function which Profoti unfortunately do not support Leica. I guess the next best thing for me is to figure out a way to soften the light output from the SF60 and have it support my needs of off camera HSS through the SFC1. Can’t wait to get my hands on one set to start off. Being Nissin the ODM, I have better confidence than it source from Metz. Bravo!

I own and use Profoto A1 with my SL and CL. What a great small studio light it is.

I never needed to use or wanted to use HSS, I dial the camera to 1/250s shutter in M mode and fire away.

Been recently to a Profoto workshop in Sydney with Sal Cincotta who is the A1 ambassador for Profoto, he shoots the same way, even if he shoots Canon bodies, and A1 supports TTL and HSS for them.

I still own the SF40 for the time I want a small fill in flash to carry with me, works great with SL and CL. But A1 is the one to go for any “serious” shoot when available light is not the style I want to lead with.

I own and use Profoto A1 with my SL and CL. What a great small studio light it is.

I never needed to use or wanted to use HSS, I dial the camera to 1/250s shutter in M mode and fire away.

Been recently to a Profoto workshop in Sydney with Sal Cincotta who is the A1 ambassador for Profoto, he shoots the same way, even if he shoots Canon bodies, and A1 supports TTL and HSS for them.

I still own the SF40 for the time I want a small fill in flash to carry with me, works great with SL and CL. But A1 is the one to go for any “serious” shoot when available light is not the style I want to lead with.

You use the A1 as a on-camera fill flash and not off camera flash?

Is the soft light from the A1 as good as the promotion videos from your experience?

I do not see lucrative margins for Leica in selling Nissin's lighting products to begin with. It were to provide Leica users better versility.

if Leica were to think small. They would not allow the cross functionality to begin with (Leica would have seen what I could see). But if leica were to think big, the cross system NAS system will literally allow Leica users to tap into one of the most popularly supported independent light source for Nikon/Canon available today and that means Leica can and will attract more potential customers & sell more cameras! 

Let's hope you are right.

Let's hope you are right.

No, you're right. Reading more into Nissin NAS, I now understand well the 'cross brand' frature control is only on Nissin's i60aA & Di700A flashes and not on air R. Plus there is no Air R available to support Leica. So it means the Leica SF C1 Commander will only pair with Leica SF60 wirelessly.

• Like 1

No, you're right. Reading more into Nissin NAS, I now understand well the 'cross brand' frature control is only on Nissin's i60aA & Di700A flashes and not on air R. Plus there is no Air R available to support Leica. So it means the Leica SF C1 Commander will only pair with Leica SF60 wirelessly.

But the SFC1 may pair with an off-camera Nissin i60A for Nikon/Canon/Sony - which is likely to be cheaper than an SF60.

TBC

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

But the SFC1 may pair with an off-camera Nissin i60A for Nikon/Canon/Sony - which is likely to be cheaper than an SF60.

TBC

Now, that is one cunning plan  :), hopefully Leica guys fell asleep when discussing 3rd party interfaces with Nissin. Or, if sale of commanders exceeded sale of flash units time for a tweak in FW.

Edited by mmradman
  • Like 2

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

A first appearance in video for the SF60 & SFC1 at the ending of the video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXj7_wdTDfk

Jay Cassario is the Leica ambassador for the 2018 Wedding & Portraiture Photography Conference conducting workshop sessions.

It is obvious that Leica is keen to break into the market segment after the launch of the SL75/90 & 75Noc lenses followed by the soon to be released TTL/HSS wireless trigger & off camera flash (SF60 & SFC1).

Strange as it is the 16-35SL would be one of the favourite of the Wedding Photographers but there was no mention of the lens.

Edited by sillbeers15
  • Like 2

attachicon.gifSF60+SFC1.JPG

A first appearance in video for the SF60 & SFC1 at the ending of the video below:

Jay Cassario is the Leica ambassador for the 2018 Wedding & Portraiture Photography Conference conducting workshop sessions.

It is obvious that Leica is keen to break into the market segment after the launch of the SL75/90 & 75Noc lenses followed by the soon to be released TTL/HSS wireless trigger & off camera flash (SF60 & SFC1).

Strange as it is the 16-35SL would be one of the favourite of the Wedding Photographers but there was no mention of the lens.

Cool. Thanks.

I won't be buying the 16-35...

1. It doesn't match up well with the 24-90. A 12-24 F4 would have been wiser.

2. As a wedding shooter the CL and 11-23 does more than well enough. Very well actually. Plus it allows me to also use the excellent 60mm macro so I won't need one of those for the SL either. Extreme wides and macros are useful, but only on occasion. So having those two lenses on the CL doesn't matter to me.

Gordon

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Another video clip by B&H showing the soon to be released Leica SF60 & SFC1. You can see the make shift Leica logo on the Nissin Flash I60A (probabily a working prototype):

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/videos/photography/wppi-2018-a-lot-to-leica

In the video, you can see the SFC1 toggle between TTL mode to Manual mode by the press of the lower left button. This is the useful feature to trial the shot with TTL follow by locking the light setting when it switches to manual mode + fine adjustments. Convinent feature to replace the cumbersome light meter taking on subject to determine the proper light intensity through F stop interpretation.

Edited by sillbeers15
  • Like 2

I have not been able to get the Profoto A1 (Canon) to work with the CL on camera because the Profoto pin is too short. Are you using the generic Profoto Air transmitter (the manual one) to trigger the Profoto in a flash bracket or off camera? How are you firing the A1 from the CL?

I have not been able to get the Profoto A1 (Canon) to work with the CL on camera because the Profoto pin is too short. Are you using the generic Profoto Air transmitter (the manual one) to trigger the Profoto in a flash bracket or off camera? How are you firing the A1 from the CL?

It’s a known fact Canon pins on flashes don’t work with Leica camera’s hotshoes. Nikon type pins do. The Profoto A1 I own is the Nikon version.

I also use a ‘generic’ transmitter / receiver by Impact. It used to work on my Canons in the past and works well with CL and SL and Hasselblad. But this transmitter that goes into the hotshot is very simple, has just one central pin.

If you want to use the Profoto transmitter on your CL I suggest you use the Nikon version.

It’s a known fact Canon pins on flashes don’t work with Leica camera’s hotshoes. Nikon type pins do. The Profoto A1 I own is the Nikon version.

I'm using Canon-interface versions of the Godox X-pro trigger and V850 flash on the SL without problems.

I believe many of us are attracted by the beautiful pic rendering and high contrast effect of images which Leica lenses bring over many other lens makers. This is the result of Leica lenses are design and constructed with materials that can produce micro constrast of well illuminated subjects. This effect is more prominent on telephone lenses comparison. Lower f stop telephoto lenses tend to deliver poorer contrast pics and the 90-280mm Leica zoom excels in delivering high contrast images.

By the same logic of image contrast vs light illumination in direct proportional relationship, it is common to find most Leica users relying on available natural light to create images. Unfortunately, there is only so much the Leica lens magic can bring us in poorly lighted subjects.

I am attracted to the amazing contrast and clarity artificial light source can bring to an image especially placing the light source off camera. Suddenly al lenses can deliver high contrast images. I also learn that one can use contrast to differentiate subject against background to create focal point of attention in an image rather than using DOF alone.

Today in smart phone era where everyone is a photographer, creating images that are more attractive and differentiate from the norm would bring more value to photographers.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Any info about when Leica SF60 & SFC1 should be released?

Any words about the price?

Tnx!

Hopefully Leica will set the release date right after 23rd April as the firmware 3.2 will be released then that sets the SL (type 601) to be compitable to the SF60 & SFC1.

I suppose that is part of the reason no news on the SF60 & SFC1for the moment.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Still no words about it? Leica says "available from April '18"?

I hv learnt not to trust Leica on:

1 Announced release date;

2 Delivery dates.

Adjustments are frequently made to their favour without prior communications.

Even it means making a payment in full with a fine print that says ‘non refundable’.

Leica only recognizes ‘money’ and not ‘customers’.

• Like 1

I hv learnt not to trust Leica on:

1 Announced release date;

2 Delivery dates.

Adjustments are frequently made to their favour without prior communications.

Even it means making a payment in full with a fine print that says ‘non refundable’.

Leica only recognizes ‘money’ and not ‘customers’.

If past is prologue, you are completely correct. Cheers--lt

Below is Leica Customer Care's reply to me on 4th May,...let's hope the SF60 & SFC1 will be made available in May 2018.

Dear Sir,

many thanks for your inquiry.

The question about our new flash system SF60 and SFC1, I can only partially answer you.
Here you can assume that these are available within the next few weeks.

Do not hesitate to contact me again if you have further questions.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / kind regards

Peter Brieger 

Leica Camera AG

Customer Care

Produkt Support

Am Leitz-Park 5 / D-35578 Wetzlar

www.leica-camera.com / peter.brieger@leica-camera.com 

Telephone 06441-2080111

Leica Camera AG | Registergericht | District Court of Wetzlar: HRB966 
Vorstand | Executive Board: Matthias Harsch (Vorsitzender) | Ronald Marcel Peters | Markus Limberger 
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender | Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Dr. Andreas Kaufmann

This message may contain confidential and privileged information. If it has been sent to you in error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to the message and please delete it from your computer.

• Like 2