Rumored SF60 with SFC1 Commander

sillbeers15

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Francisco,

I'm not Gordon, but below is what I think it is. It requires to be proven that things can work after my preordered SF60s and SFC1 arrives later.

If it is successful for me to pair the SFC1 with any Nissin i60a or i700a (according to Leica's start guide downloaded, it is said that SFC1 is compatible to other Nissin flashes), then it means that the Nissin NAS compatible flashes can be controlled in TTL & HSS capability to work as off camera flashes except mounting directly on Leica cameras as on camera flashes. I do not think the downloading of any additional Nissin firmware would be necessary at this point in time. Above is just my opinion and is yet to be proven that it can work.

• Like 1

Th downloadable SF60 Instruction Manual states that there is GN table on the inside back cover but it's not included in the download … and the Appendix shows the Guide Number Table as being on Page ???

Appendix

Maintenance and care.................................................................26

Conditioning the capacitor of the flash unit..................................26

Troubleshooting..........................................................................26

Spare parts.................................................................................27

Technical data.............................................................................28

Leica service addresses..............................................................29

Guide number table....................................................................???

How are potential buyers supposed to know the various GNs for specific focal lengths unless the downloads include same?

And if the GN is 60, it should be stated as 60m. ... and also the specific focal length applicable. 

The download needs amendment to document the full GNs data. 

dunk 

I assume the guide number will be 60m ISO 100 @ 200mm zoom. Maybe a Nissin i60 has the figures. They'll be the same.

Gordon

Gordon, you are a reference for me mainly speaking about flashes then let me ask you  two questions:

1-  Does it mean that with the SF C1 can we shoot Leica SF 60  and, at the same time, others (Leica or not) with receivers Nissin standard (TTL and/or Manual modes)?

2- Do  we need in that case install  in the CF C1 a Nissin firmware, buy it (would be easy or free?), downloaded or by mean a little card from them?

I've SF 58 and SF 40 and an old Metz 45 CT5 and as amateur I'm trying to do some studio intents.

My best regards,

Francisco

Currently I have 3 Nissin i60's and 1 controller. 1x Sony. 1x Nikon and 1x Olympus. The controller I have is the Sony one. I can use the flashes on their appropriate cameras and I can use the Sony controller to give me a multi flash set up with TTL and HSS. Each flash had to be "paired" to the controller. This is different to how the Godox system works. Pairing isn't required with Godox.

I assume the Leica SF60 will integrate without any extra firmware and I will have 5 flashes I can use off camera (2 x Leica plus the other 3) I don't know if I can "pair" the flash to both controllers at once or if I need to go through that pairing if I change controllers. It's not difficult but I don't want to forget and have things not working. Firmware upgrades shouldn't be required.

Gordon

• Like 1

Sillbeers 15 and Gordon thank you very much for your quick reacción to my questions. If I've understood you both today is a soon data to achieve "true answers" it's necessary wait and check the new flash and its SF C1.

For the moment it seems to me there are good news, although some problems or unknown needs could appear with the two systems working together.

Meanwhile a bit of patience.

Bye,

Francisco

• Like 1

Looking at the SF60 multiple function round dial ( there is exactly the same dial set up on SF C1), it differs slightly from the standard Nissin i60a & Air10 dial. The HSS switch on the std Nissin dial is replaced by a ‘lock’ function on the Leica version. Leica promotion material clearly states HSS function available to 1/8000sec. So I should assume there is a auto detect function for HSS when the camera shutter speed goes beyond normal flash sync speed.

Any thoughts?

As Ingo says the camera need not to be demanded to set the flash in HSS mode. You can read for instance in my Leica SF 40 guide these words:

""Special functions HSS flash with fast shutter speeds (with

appropriately equipped cameras), high-speed flash synchronization….""

And the same can be read in the Technical notes of the SF 60 flash. It seems that when you ask the camera to over ride the normal sync.speed then by itself demandes the flash to change its behavior.

Francisco.

I'm very, very disappointed. It seems Nissin doesn't produce Air receivers standard and only is possible to use the Air system with flashes of the make or Nikon and Canon flashes with inner receiver capability. That means GOOD BYE my intention to use my SF 58, my SF 40 and my old Metz 45-CT5 even in Manual Mode.

That's All.  :wacko: 

Francisco.

I'm very, very disappointed. It seems Nissin doesn't produce Air receivers standard and only is possible to use the Air system with flashes of the make or Nikon and Canon flashes with inner receiver capability. That means GOOD BYE my intention to use my SF 58, my SF 40 and my old Metz 45-CT5 even in Manual Mode.

That's All.  :wacko: 

Francisco.

Use the built in optical slave on the SF 40. No power control from the transmitter but still useful in a pinch.

You could also petition Leica to introduce a receiver at a later date. Nissin have the protocols, after all.

Gordon

Use the built in optical slave on the SF 40. No power control from the transmitter but still useful in a pinch.

You could also petition Leica to introduce a receiver at a later date. Nissin have the protocols, after all.

Gordon

Yes. You can use the optical slave on the additional and less crucial lights such as the ‘kicker light’.

My initial thoughts were to suggest a Leica version of ‘Air R’ to allow wireless control on the existing Leica flashes as off camera flashes.

But again, the likely cost of the Leica version of ‘Air R’ would be equal to buying a Nissin NAS compatible flash such as the i700a for off camera duty controlled by SF C1.

I wanted to be able to put them in different channels with the versatility to use them Yes/No, of course in manual mode, may be in a high position or/and in a long distance. It's all.

Francisco.

I wanted to be able to put them in different channels with the versatility to use them Yes/No, of course in manual mode, may be in a high position or/and in a long distance. It's all.

Francisco.

If manual mode is what you only require, there are many wireless triggers and manual flashes available at a much lower cost. The advantage of Leica SF60 & SFC1 over wireless triggered manual flash would be:

1. The convenience of doing a trial shot in TTL and lock it into Manual and further fine adjustments in power setting on commander remotely &

2. Need the support of HSS ( to shoot at shutter speeds above slow sync speed) and occasionally require shooting with TTL flash.

I'm in a period of reflection about what to do; may be NOTHING! (It means use what I own without buying anything).

It is a pity to be forced to leave the old junk in the drawers and... I could continue with more sad allegories …

Hold On!

I'm sold on the statement that 'Photography is painting with light'. And I figured out that 90% of the time the ambient light is not 100% in our favour.

Therefore I started venturing into the path of 'creating light' eventhough I'm an amerturer who does not have clients to please but just myself.

while I've preordered two units of SF60 & a SFC1 as a starter kit, I'm also still searching for other lighting solution. I was so amazed by those little Lume cube LEDs which turn out a 55kW each and are waterproof (yes, can submerge in water as it illuminates) and gets remotely controlled by mobile phone. I have two unts ordered and await arrival. The only challenge I have not is how can I effective soften those hard lights. That will be my new toy to figure out.

Anyone here in the forum has prior experience to using Lume Cube LEDs on still photography?

Edited by sillbeers15
  • Like 2

I have the SF 64 and Nikon style cables that run with TTL and HSS off camera. What I would like to know is whether the SF 64 cabled to camera will sync when using the Commander and SF 60?

Ken

Ken,

I do not quite understand your question. When you utilize the commander (attached to camera hotshoe) and paired with SF60. The SF60 is remotely controlled via commander as a off camera flash which you can place it in the location as you desire. There is no more room for SF64 when you are using SF60 + SF C1 to mount SF64 on camera. At the moment you also cannot use your SF64 as on off camera flash as the SF64 does not have a built in wireless receiver like in the SF 60. Unless Leica comission Nissin to produce a wireless receiver spec for Leica ( called AirR by Nissin) later. Then you can turn your SF64 into a off camera flash after you mount the SF64 onto the Leica version AirR.

I have the SF 64 and Nikon style cables that run with TTL and HSS off camera. What I would like to know is whether the SF 64 cabled to camera will sync when using the Commander and SF 60?

Ken

Ken,

I do not quite understand your question. When you utilize the commander (attached to camera hotshoe) and paired with SF60. The SF60 is remotely controlled via commander as a off camera flash which you can place it in the location as you desire. There is no more room for SF64 when you are using SF60 + SF C1 to mount SF64 on camera. At the moment you also cannot use your SF64 as on off camera flash as the SF64 does not have a built in wireless receiver like in the SF 60. Unless Leica comission Nissin to produce a wireless receiver spec for Leica ( called AirR by Nissin) later. Then you can turn your SF64 into a off camera flash after you mount the SF64 onto the Leica version AirR.