M-A has poor engraving on top plate

Got my camera back from Leica today. The M-A has a new top plate. The serial number engraving looks a little off to me. The first digit spacing seems disconnected from the rest... but otherwise it looks good.

Am I being pedantic? Comments welcome. cb4baad193ded298c2feef6e4fae09f6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The slot headed peg on the flash shoe isn't square either, looks kind of odd at that angle, you'd lose points in a concours d'elegance competition for it, and you should always park the shutter dial so 60th is square to the line and not on the flash symbol. If you can get those things sorted at the same time as the number the camera should work ok.

• Like 1

The spacing of the numbers isn't kerned like it would be in Illustrator or even Word. Instead, it looks like each digit is given an equal spacing. Because each digit isn't of equal width (e.g. the 1 is much narrower than the 9) and because they have different shapes this can give the illusion that the digits aren't properly spaced. However, your 4 does look like it is further spaced than on my old M-A (see photo). 

Having said all this, I don't think Leica are under an obligation to ensure serial numbers meet a specific visual standard. This goes way beyond the general "fit for purpose" standards that consumer laws are meant to ensure. I'm not sure if you are taking the piss or just have a colossal sense of entitlement but if I were Leica I would politely suggest that you go whistle. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this a second hand camera that you bought? I think Leica, in guaranteeing the camera beyond the original purchaser, have already stepped beyond their legal obligations in changing the top plate for you.

Got my camera back from Leica today. The M-A has a new top plate. The serial number engraving looks a little off to me. The first digit spacing seems disconnected from the rest... but otherwise it looks good.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

But warranties are transferable.

I don't think there is any obligation for a manufacturer to make them transferable (other than in the case of cars) but I guess in Leica's case that cat is already out of the bag, so to speak.

Regarding your serial number, I am a bit fussy and think the spacing of the 4 and 9 is visually annoying but I don't think it is reasonable to ask for it to be done again.

I don't think there is any obligation for a manufacturer to make them transferable (other than in the case of cars) but I guess in Leica's case that cat is already out of the bag, so to speak.

Regarding your serial number, I am a bit fussy and think the spacing of the 4 and 9 is visually annoying but I don't think it is reasonable to ask for it to be done again.

Sure but as a loyal fan of leica, why should we (I) settle for less? This item is something I’ll keep forever and it’s already featured in my will. My 6 week old daughter will inherit it.

I think fussy people like us keep the brand going and standards high. I’ll take this back personally next time I visit that part of the country.

Sure but as a loyal fan of leica, why should we (I) settle for less? This item is something I’ll keep forever and it’s already featured in my will. My 6 week old daughter will inherit it.

Can't you think of the eccentric spacing as something that personalises your camera that little bit more? :)   I think that's how I'd look at it. I have spent far too much time in Leica Mayfair with stuff that has gone wrong or isn't quite up to snuff. I'm not sure I could go and see Jimmy there and look him in the eye and discuss the serial number spacing with him. :D

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 1

Can't you think of the eccentric spacing as something that personalises your camera that little bit more? :) I think that's how I'd look at it. I have spent far too much time in Leica Mayfair with stuff that has gone wrong or isn't quite up to snuff. I'm not sure I could go and see Jimmy there and look him in the eye and discuss the serial number spacing with him. :D

Sure I’d never inflict this on poor Jimmy. He is such a nice chap. But I’ll quite happily say this to Ze Germans at HQ!

• Like 1

Regarding your serial number, I am a bit fussy and think the spacing of the 4 and 9 is visually annoying but I don't think it is reasonable to ask for it to be done again.

European consumer law directives make it obligatory to extend guarantee to the product, not the owner. So, in the EU, guaranties are automatically transferred. Leica follows this rule for products received from the customer in Wetzlar. If one uses the dealer network, local laws prevail.

Actually, it is just a consequence of the stupid character spacing they use between digits.  If they cared about the esthetics of the serial number they would set their computer controlled engraver to adjust the white space between characters to be more visually uniform the way that typesetters subtly adjust the space between letters on a line of text to keep letters from appearing unevenly spaced from one another.  Instead, the space between the numbers in that serial number appears to be a hard 0.5mm, and that leaves the "4" with its projection on the right side looking too far from the "9," which appears to be even further because of the empty space below the loop in that character.  It's just visually unfortunate, but is it really a reason to return a brand new camera that appears in every other way to be well made and probably works perfectly too.

Scott

Actually, it is just a consequence of the stupid character spacing they use between digits.  If they cared about the esthetics of the serial number they would set their computer controlled engraver to adjust the white space between characters to be more visually uniform the way that typesetters subtly adjust the space between letters on a line of text to keep letters from appearing unevenly spaced from one another.  Instead, the space between the numbers in that serial number appears to be a hard 0.5mm, and that leaves the "4" with its projection on the right side looking too far from the "9," which appears to be even further because of the empty space below the loop in that character.  It's just visually unfortunate, but is it really a reason to return a brand new camera that appears in every other way to be well made and probably works perfectly too.

Scott

Yes, I've already explained this in post #23 above but if you compare the serial number of the OP's camera and mine in that post you'll see that the spacing of the 4 and 9 is different. Although the nature of this typeface and the lack of kerning makes the spacing of the digits look uneven, in the OP's case, the spacing appears to be actually uneven.

UK only and Scotland may differ as well:

https://www.inbrief.co.uk/consumer-law/warranties/

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/consumer-rights-refunds-exchange#gift

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

Guarantees are an addition to our consumer rights and can have certain restrictions on them. For example it’s quite possible for a manufacturer to give a 5 year guarantee but only on condition that the customer registers the guarantee. Most manufacturers tend to limit this guarantee to the person that buys it when brand new. The guarantee costs are built into the price and the customer has paid for it.

There’s isn’t even a legal obligation for products sold to have any guarantee. 

(But see rights under Consumer Rights Act)

f you buy something second hand from an ordinary member of the public then you do not have any rights under the sale of goods act or the distant selling regulations other than a right for the product to be as described in the advert, and for it to work as expected. If it subsequently breaks down it’s considered part of the risk of buying second hand

https://www.whitegoodshelp.co.uk/is-a-guarantee-transferable-can-you-still-use-a-guarantee-if-you-buy-a-second-hand-appliance/

European consumer law directives make it obligatory to extend guarantee to the product, not the owner. So, in the EU, guaranties are automatically transferred. Leica follows this rule for products received from the customer in Wetzlar. If one uses the dealer network, local laws prevail.

As a Guarantee is not legally obligatory it is hard to see how extending what is at the "gift" of the seller can be mandatory, there is no mention of EU law in the above UK links, perhaps this is Germany specific as the UK Consumer Rights Act is?

Edited by chris_livsey
  • Like 1

Looking at that engraving more I see that after the 4, the next three numbers are closely bunched whereas the last three are more spaced apart. It also all looks ever so slightly skew-whiff.

It's the sort of thing that just eats away at you every time you see it, grinding you down like a nagging wife (or husband!) I'd imagine. Eventually you'd hate the camera. It would sap all your creative energies.

Some silver tape over the top could be an answer.

Edited by earleygallery
  • Like 2