M-A has poor engraving on top plate

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello chaps

I sent my M-A to Leica because the chrome seemed very soft and also the top plate engraving wasn’t uniform.

I just heard that they will replace the top plate and also give the camera a service, CLA, adjust the rangefinder etc.

Question is why was such a camera sold in the first place? Has QC been forgotten about?

And should I elect for some personalised engraving on the top plate? Not my name or signature but something else, like M3 style or just have it totally plain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the first time I've heard of a "soft" top-plate or faulty engraving; however, if Leica took the time to check the viewfinder etc. it sounds as though they are diligently pursuing any other defects in the camera in response to your complaints.

Has QA been forgotten? I would answer that customer feedback is an important part of a product's QA, and you are actually actively engaged in that QA process at the moment.

You may spend a camera-less month waiting, but if you get a free CLA and satisfaction that the camera's issues are satisfactorily resolved then it's time well-spent.

• Like 2

You may spend a camera-less month waiting, but if you get a free CLA and satisfaction that the camera's issues are satisfactorily resolved then it's time well-spent.

It's unlikely to be one month. I collected an M-A only this week that underwent service in October. I have been told that there is only a single technician at Wetzlar working on film bodies. A Wetzlar CLA (which my camera also received) is now €800 if you have to pay for it (which I didn't).

• Like 1

This is the first time I've heard of a "soft" top-plate or faulty engraving; however, if Leica took the time to check the viewfinder etc. it sounds as though they are diligently pursuing any other defects in the camera in response to your complaints.

Has QA been forgotten? I would answer that customer feedback is an important part of a product's QA, and you are actually actively engaged in that QA process at the moment.

Yep I agree. Lucky that I have other film cameras to use.

It's unlikely to be one month. I collected an M-A only this week that underwent service in October. I have been told that there is only a single technician at Wetzlar working on film bodies. A Wetzlar CLA (which my camera also received) is now €800 if you have to pay for it (which I didn't).

I’ll keep you posted on the repair time. Leica Wetzlar did my M6Ti quickly last year so I am hopeful.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If Leica took the time to check the viewfinder etc. it sounds as though they are diligently pursuing any other defects in the camera in response to your complaints.

Heard of "It's not my job"? Compartmentalized mass production.

I’ve asked for the old top cover back... let’s see if they oblige me. I’m thinking legally it’s mine. Need to have a think about this.

it is certainly your property prior to agreeing to the repair (free or otherwise) but I'm not sure whether it remains your property after being replaced. There may be something in the T&Cs you will have agreed to when you signed the repair docket relating to this matter and there is likely both plenty of legal precedent to fall back on and statutory law covering this issue*. My partially educated guess is that title to the old top plate is, in effect, "transferred" to the new top plate (and, at the same time, Leica's title in the replacement top plate is "transferred" to the old). It clearly doesn't hurt to ask and, in my experience, Leica usually do the right thing when prompted but if they are actually under no obligation to let you have the old top plate, I'm not sure it is worth getting all "legal" with them.

*I'd be surprised if there isn't stuff in EU, UK and German statutory law about warranties and repairs that specifically refers to title in old and replacement parts and I'd be further surprised if it is written such that the repairer honouring a guarantee is obliged to return faulty parts.

If you were paying for the new top plate then yes, you would still own the old one. In this case Leica are replacing your top plate, so they give you a new one and keep the old one (although they may oblige your request out of goodwill).

It's a bit like being in a restuarant and telling the waiter you don't want the steak they've just served you because you asked for rare and it's actually burnt to a crisp. So they say of course Sir, we will replace it immediately. Would you then demand that they give you both steaks to eat?

• Like 1

You are just using an analogy to restate the question, James. I'm sure the OP understands what he is asking.

It's a bit like being in a restuarant and telling the waiter you don't want the steak they've just served you because you asked for rare and it's actually burnt to a crisp. So they say of course Sir, we will replace it immediately. Would you then demand that they give you both steaks to eat?

• Like 1

I’ve asked for the old top cover back... let’s see if they oblige me. I’m thinking legally it’s mine. Need to have a think about this.

I don't see how it is legally yours, the steak analogy is a sound argument. The idea of consumer law is that the customer is no worse off than before, not that they profit.  And equally I don't see why Leica would want to directly encourage the possibility of sub standard parts getting into the second hand market, if they give it back it will be disappointing. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Got my camera back from Leica today. The M-A has a new top plate. The serial number engraving looks a little off to me. The first digit spacing seems disconnected from the rest... but otherwise it looks good.

Am I being pedantic? Comments welcome. cb4baad193ded298c2feef6e4fae09f6.jpg