50mm 2.8 Elmar-m

nitrox1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

At the time the Elmar-M 50 mm was discontinued, we didn't know about the upcoming Summarit-M lens series yet. But those at Leica Camera did.

And FWIW, I have seen a couple of copies of the later black Elmar which had developed a degree of 'play' so that the extended section was not quite as solid as I would have expected it should be. Any extendable lens has the potential to do this depending on heaviness of use, so perhaps the Summarit replacement was seen as a simpler mechanical design too, the alternative solution being to house the Elmar in a non-collapsing mount - but this would still have been larger and heavier than the Summarit which also has a more modern design. 

The only thing that could be damaged -and only by the long Elmar 90- are the baffles in front of the shutter. Or one might scratch the flat black paint by being clumsy. To damage the roller wheel would need quite a hefty impact.

And FWIW, I have seen a couple of copies of the later black Elmar which had developed a degree of 'play' so that the extended section was not quite as solid as I would have expected it should be. Any extendable lens has the potential to do this depending on heaviness of use, so perhaps the Summarit replacement was seen as a simpler mechanical design too, the alternative solution being to house the Elmar in a non-collapsing mount - but this would still have been larger and heavier than the Summarit which also has a more modern design. 

The play can be easily adjusted, Will van Manen has done so for me in the past.

• Like 1

The only thing that could be damaged -and only by the long Elmar 90- are the baffles in front of the shutter. ...

The collapsible 90mm Elmar will not enter the "mouth" of a digital M. It's rear end is too broad, so that it will be blocked by the much narrorer sides of the "mouth".  Collapsed the shaft does not protrude significantly more than the 50mm Elmar otherwise it would not be usable with the M3 for which it was made: the distance between the bayonet's flange and the baffles of the shutter is a little bit smaller for the M3 than for a digital M.

The real "problem" for collapsibe lenses which enter the body is the little wheel to activate the rangefinder which may be hit by most lenses which are collapsed. This "problem" exists for all collapsible lenses on all Leica bodies with coupled rangefinder since 1932. When I collapse a 5cm Summitar in a Leica II I can feel an obvious  resistance, which will go away when I push further. Perhaps customers of digital bodies became more pettish about the fact since digital cameras came to the market when the Internet became popular as well. Therefore Leica started to give the warning.

The bottom of the Elmar's tube (below) is indeed very close to the M6J's roller cam (wheel) when the lens is partly collapsed:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Got my Elmar-m in from the dealer in HK. About 10 days total. Super fast considering half way around the world. Lens is indeed brand new and as beautiful as I remember. Focus is smooth and aperture clicks are precise. Barrel locks open tight. Threw it on my m10 and ran around the house taking random stupid pictures. Renders as beautiful as I remember. B&W looks stunning. Happy to have this little bugger in my collection again. Next up, 28mm elmarit. Thanks for the great discussion and contributions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It’s a shame they don’t produce it anymore. Not that it’s my problem because its a stunning lens for a bargain, but if if you bring out the Summaron 28 and the Thambar again... it’s a laugh

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 1

It’s a shame they don’t produce it anymore. Not that it’s my problem because its a stunning lens for a bargain, but if if you bring out the Summaron 28 and the Thambar again... it’s a laugh

But why? They’re easily obtained, have modern coatings. What could you “improve” on it? It’s already an improvement on the earlier version and it seems without a meaningful flaw.

[ Tongue in cheek, but only partially so ;-) ]

When using my Elmar M together with my M3 (both from 1965, the year of my own birth) I cannot help wondering if the ensuing half decade of technical progress really did that much for photography...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

But why? They’re easily obtained, have modern coatings. What could you “improve” on it? It’s already an improvement on the earlier version and it seems without a meaningful flaw.

I have over time three different Elmar-M 2.8/50 (black, silver then black again) and longer ago the Elmar 2.8/50.

I regretted that original M Elmar sold after having Summicron/Summilux 50.

So I tried to obtain the same with Elmar-M model, but never had that original rendering.

Now I have what I wanted ( nostalgia of old Elmar 2.8) or pretty close with Summarit-M 2.5/50.

Maybe ( I'm not sure for that) what bothered me with Elmar-M was the hexagon aperture.

If Leica release Elmar-M again, I'd like (and will buy one...) with the old-time round aperture as former original Elmar.

• Like 1

Is it worth getting an Elmar when I already have a Summicron and mainly shoot stopped down around f8 or f11? Any differences in sharpness or rendering?

I love my Summicron but I’m curious as to how this lens renders so I’m tempted to give it a try

Is it worth getting an Elmar when I already have a Summicron and mainly shoot stopped down around f8 or f11? Any differences in sharpness or rendering?

I love my Summicron but I’m curious as to how this lens renders so I’m tempted to give it a try

It is not the same rendering. The famous "Tessar look" as opposed to Planar or Summicron. Different micro and/or macro contrast i guess. Don't ask me more i'm not good at describing those things. Better try the lens at a store together with your Summicron. 

I don't think so. I doubt you would notice much difference at those apertures. I have an Elmar-M, but I got it mostly for travel (it's still part of the MP/Tri-X final backup camera) and it does that really well. Also, at the time (10 years ago) it was a relative bargain at $1100 new.

• Like 1

Probably..as the slower lenses I've found...generally perform a stop or 2 down..better than the fast ones..but you would have to test...

But be aware..after using the Elmar..you may want to dump your Summicron..

• Like 1