35mm Summicron Asph Black Chrome

Csacwp

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, CosmoM3 said:

I wouldn't lay for that price other than aesthetics - the new ASPH II is sharper at infinity and resolving power for modern Leica sensors with more megapi kles.

It is not aesthetics that make the black chrome or black paint copies of this lens so special, it is the machined from brass construction as the brass provides crisper aperture clicks along with smoother focus, plus the brass construction is much more robust and stands up to use, knocks and general handling in the field without the knurling getting damaged as easily as the standard alloy copies. I have a black paint copy of this Summicron and its a jewel of a lens to use. I also have a titanium 35 1.4 pre-asph also machined from brass and it too feels very nice to use, and as with the brass bodied black chrome and black paint Summicron's they feel measurably better made and more durable. Also if anyone can find a nice copy of the black chrome 35 Summicron for $3900 snap it up as that is under market. 

Edited by insideline
grammer

Saw the auction result today, was very surprised, positively, gonna hold on to mine longer for a while

What was the hammer price of this auction.  Link?

I wouldn't lay for that price other than aesthetics - the new ASPH II is sharper at infinity and resolving power for modern Leica sensors with more megapi kles.

The thing with limited edition lenses is, you aren't paying for performance, necessarily, but rather rarity.  An excellent performing lens that is still in production can be acquired easily by walking into a store or with a few mouse clicks.  It will perform like any other of its sister lenses of the same model number.

A rare lens, however, gets only rarer and more valuable over time.

• 1 year later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 2/5/2018 at 3:05 PM, Csacwp said:

I’m considering getting a used Black Chrome 35mm summicron asph instead of buying the latest version new. Is the difference from the updated aperture blades really noticable, and are there any other differences? Do Black Chrome owners have any complaints?

I hope you bought the Black Chrome…