M10 checklist before walking out of the shop

TG14

Just download the instruction manual, read it, and highlight every heading that regards a system which you are concerned might manifest a defect between the manufacturer's check and the time when you purchase it. Then use that as your checklist of things to test in-store.

I think it's unlikely you'll find anything wrong, but it is true that most manufacturer QC, even if it's very good, happens well ahead of when the camera is actually placed in its box and shipped to the dealer, so you may only be going from 0.7% chance of an issue to 0.4%, let's say, but the difference won't be zero.

I don’t think you should get the M-10.

There seems to be some deep seeded mistrust for the dealers.

Like I said, it's not about mistrust. It's about saving future potential hassle. Not doing easy checks doesnt make sense. 

I have an Oly camera. And the customer service is great. After using it for a while, I noticed a small white dot (really speck) in the viewfinder. Didnt know what it was. Call the customer service and was told to bring it done, leave it for a few days for them to check/repair.

Turned out there was an issue, either through manufacturing or assembly. Doesn't matter: they fixed it for free. No cost to me, but I had to spend time to bring it down to the service center, spent time picking it, etc. No monetary cost, they honoured the warranty, but it was a hassle.

Now, lesson learnt, when I buy a camera, I am sure to look intently at the viewfinder.

I think you should speak to the dealer you’re intending to buy from. Explain your concerns and see what they can do for you.

Maybe order a spare battery and ask them to fully charge it before you visit. You pay for the camera and then you can open it up, pop in the new fully charged battery and spend the next couple of hours shooting.

Return to the shop and - as already agreed with them - check some frames on a monitor. If any faults are apparent they swap it for another from stock.

Repeat process.

• Like 1

Like I said, it's not about mistrust. It's about saving future potential hassle. Not doing easy checks doesnt make sense. 

I have an Oly camera. And the customer service is great. After using it for a while, I noticed a small white dot (really speck) in the viewfinder. Didnt know what it was. Call the customer service and was told to bring it done, leave it for a few days for them to check/repair.

Turned out there was an issue, either through manufacturing or assembly. Doesn't matter: they fixed it for free. No cost to me, but I had to spend time to bring it down to the service center, spent time picking it, etc. No monetary cost, they honoured the warranty, but it was a hassle.

Now, lesson learnt, when I buy a camera, I am sure to look intently at the viewfinder.

Leica will fix defects for free as well. Mostly 2 to 3 times longer than all other brands.

It would be the same for me for any camera, any appliance in general. I cannot imagine myself testing out a vacuum cleaner in the shop, or a microwave.

I cannot imagine any domestic vacuum cleaner that costs close to the price of a small car and which in the event of trouble would require you to ship off the defective unit along with all cables and accessories for two months of investigation and repair, during which time you could neither clean your house nor justify a second identical purchase as a "backup" to cover the down time  :blink:

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don't think the price is very relevant for the discussion. For some (not me) the price  of the camera will be 1% of the car they came in to buy it, for somebody else that vacuum cleaner may be  more than half their monthly spending money.

Be aware that Leica and it's main dealers manage a safe "return to shop or Wetzlar" scheme. Usually, they will issue you (by email) with a "return to xxxxx" label. You call the courier and your package is collected from home. There's no charge. The camera will be returned to you when repaired or you may get a replacement. You may never need to re-visit the store. I live 400 miles from the London Leica service dealer, so taking an item for repair is a challenge. I appreciate Leica's excellent arrangements. Edited by lucerne

Be aware that Leica and it's main dealers manage a safe "return to shop or Wetzlar" scheme. Usually, they will issue you (by email) with a "return to xxxxx" label. You call the courier and your package is collected from home. There's no charge. The camera will be returned to you when repaired or you may get a replacement. You may never need to re-visit the store. I live 400 miles from the London Leica service dealer, so taking an item for repair is a challenge. I appreciate Leica's excellent arrangements.

This is all true and fine, but after I bought a faulty-out-of-the-box lens last year, Leica wanted me to send my entire camera system for two months so that they could investigate (not withstanding that my other lenses were perfectly ok). While Leica's arrangements are very professional and proper, the waiting time is not - particularly since the lens was being bought for a specific project with a hard deadline for the start of shooting. Eventually I was able to arrange a replacement, but this was non-trivial given that my regular dealer is in another country.

I think that it is perfectly reasonable to be cautious when purchasing from Leica given their under-resourced service system, particularly if you can not justify duplicate equipment in the event of a problem.

• Like 1

When I went shopping for my first digital SLR and my first digital rangefinder I ...

1. Took my lenses,

2. Took a memory card,

3. Took a laptop computer,

4. Took a memory card reader.

I took test shots in the camera store and transferred them to my laptop for analysis. For the used cameras, I was able to actually test the camera I was contemplating buying.  For the new cameras, I was only able to test the store's demo camera.

The only things I will do differently next time is to:

1. Take more than one memory card,

2. Take my hand-held exposure meter,

3. Take a flash unit if I plan on using flash with the camera,

4. Take fully charged batteries if the cameras I will be testing use the same batteries as the cameras I already own.

I have full confidence in my local dealer, Leica Store SoHo.   Never had an issue and have always been treated nicely; first class operation.   Regardless of these facts, if I'm laying down $7k for anything, I'm going to make sure the thing works before accepting the goods.  I mean you're there right??....so why not?  I had my own memory card and lens , the store provided me with a charged battery to check out my M10.   I quickly made some basic profile adjustments and took some snaps to make sure the basic functionality was working properly and confirm I was able to achieve proper exposure and focus (all while my battery was charging).   Once all looked good after about 15min or so, I dropped the cash and started the real test when I walked out the door.  

Just slap a lens on or pair it with the lens you are buying, and check whether the rangefinder is out of sync or not.

If it is, change the lens (ask for another of the same) and then test again, if it's still out, most likely it's the body, but if the second or third lens is bang on, then the first lens is out. It's not 100% accurate, but this is stuff you can check. I have learn the hard way with buying a new M246.

For people who keep saying Leica M will have no problem, that is just plainly no true with any ownership of Leica digital product.

But on the other hand, you get to enjoy Leica excellent service when you do encounter problem. Hahahah.

• 6 months later...

As 250swb says, if buying a Leica M10 causes you so much angst, don't buy one. Most stores carry demo models, just as most motor dealers also have demo models for potential customers to drive. If you are so concerned about your particular camera and the dealer were to allow you to open the box and test it, then the camera would be no longer a new one and could not be sold as such. With a new car the effect would be even more dramatic. As a consumer you would have an entitlement in most jurisdictions to a replacement if the camera or any of its major functions were DOA. If everyone were to do as you suggest, the camera business in-store would soon become a complete mess and dealers might just retreat to on-line business only.

William

I think more people do this than you imagine. In my experience with two Leica stores (DC & Boston) the majority of new cameras and lenses in the M range have not been fully sealed boxes. In fact, the only Leica product I have purchased that WAS completely sealed was the 50 APO and I have owned a lot of different Leica equipment. All others had the little white tape compromised, including the M10, 28 Lux, etc.

That being said, I have only had one brand new lens that needed to be adjusted slightly and Leica handled very quickly so I don't think you have anything to worry about buying new.

Now, buying used, even from Leica dealers should require some thought. Even though it is not a controlled test, if buying used, I would take a walk around and snap some shots. Bring your computer and look at the images. This will at least tell you if the equipment is WAY OFF.

If you live in proximity to the dealer, then do as JAAPV says.. take it home and open it up yourself..

It is part of the fun and wonder of a Leica..

If you live far away and trust the dealer (not just a camera store clerk but a reputable and knowledgeable salesperson), then he can open it up and check out the camera for you. 

In all the years of M, R and S cameras, I have never had an issue at the onset. You may discover something in time and this is usually promptly addressed by Leica.

Albert  :D  :D  :D

True.

Unboxing my 240 Safari kit was better than any Christmas morning I ever had! :D