M10 checklist before walking out of the shop

TG14

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would like to compile a checklist of what to look out for and what tests to do on an M10 before paying for one and walking out of the shop?

Naturally,

i) these tests should be do-able in a shop setting,

ii) ideally not needing any additional equipment, and

iii) able to complete within a reasonable amount of time.

I'll then go through the replies and post a summary at the end of what everyone's said.

Disclaimer: I would like to use this checklist on my M10 purchase.

For context: I've posted on this forum to discuss quality control issues and everyone's been kind enough to give their opinions. So, this post is kind of a focus on a related topic. The gist seems to be that QC is not really an issue, but it does come up every now and then.

Many thanks.

None, really. You might check whether the thing actually works, that is all. "Testing" in the shop is useless. Faults- if any- can only show up during use or in controlled circumstances. Just use it and if there is anything you might find, ask here in the forum.

Personally I would not even open the box in the shop, but take my time at home, charge the battery, read a bit in the manual,etc.

• Like 8

Agree with Jaap that you are unlikely to find any fault with the M10 period. The M10 is a culmination of many years of development. Take it home and enjoy opening it and going through the included items. Charge the battery and go through the user guide. Should you have an issue, you can take it back to the dealer. In my case, I do not live close to a dealer and mine arrived via UPS. I have two M10's and have had zero issues with them. Enjoy

As I understand it, every M camera has undergone exhaustive function checks and inspections before being boxed up in Wetzlar - checks that are 5000 times more detailed than what any of us could ever come up with on our own.

I remember unboxing my Safari set when it arrived; it was the first time in my life I'd ever held absolute perfection in my hands - or even seen it, for that matter.

Edited by Herr Barnack

If you live in proximity to the dealer, then do as JAAPV says.. take it home and open it up yourself..

It is part of the fun and wonder of a Leica..

If you live far away and trust the dealer (not just a camera store clerk but a reputable and knowledgeable salesperson), then he can open it up and check out the camera for you. 

In all the years of M, R and S cameras, I have never had an issue at the onset. You may discover something in time and this is usually promptly addressed by Leica.

Albert  :D  :D  :D

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Almost one year ago, even the battery was delivered not charged.

I don't know if the thing has changed now.

If that is the case, controlling functions without charged battery may be difficult.

Just take time and pleasure to unpack at home then enjoy after charging the battery.

Remember to order another spare battery if not done ;).

As I understand it, every M camera has undergone exhaustive function checks and inspections before being boxed up in Wetzlar - checks that are 5000 times more detailed than what any of us could ever come up with on our own.

5000 more? I doubt that even Leica's PR branch would declare such after a beer breakfast. It might be interesting to know, if we could, the return rate of Leica products GIVEN the claim of 5000 times more detailed checks the buyer can make when the camera fails straight out of the box. Oi! Leica's production line could only be captured in extraordinary slow motion. Leicas must be flooding the globe like a pandemic, or the Great Blob!

My bass-ackward QC insurance is to buy two, sometimes three of a camera, each from geographically different vendors. One more M9 and then I move to the M10 ... or three.

Edited by pico
  • Like 2

My bass-ackward QC insurance is to buy two, sometimes three of a camera, each from geographically different vendors. One more M9 and then I move to the M10 ... or three.

Good strategy but bit expensive. I do this for hard disks though: buy from different shops or different brands.

If you distrust Leica so much you feel the need to unpack it in the shop just don't buy it, really, it shouldn't be as stressful as you are trying to make it. The only possible thing to discover is that the battery comes uncharged and the camera doesn't work without it.

I would like to compile a checklist of what to look out for and what tests to do on an M10 before paying for one and walking out of the shop?

Naturally,

i) these tests should be do-able in a shop setting,

ii) ideally not needing any additional equipment, and

iii) able to complete within a reasonable amount of time.

I'll then go through the replies and post a summary at the end of what everyone's said.

Disclaimer: I would like to use this checklist on my M10 purchase.

For context: I've posted on this forum to discuss quality control issues and everyone's been kind enough to give their opinions. So, this post is kind of a focus on a related topic. The gist seems to be that QC is not really an issue, but it does come up every now and then.

Many thanks.

As 250swb says, if buying a Leica M10 causes you so much angst, don't buy one. Most stores carry demo models, just as most motor dealers also have demo models for potential customers to drive. If you are so concerned about your particular camera and the dealer were to allow you to open the box and test it, then the camera would be no longer a new one and could not be sold as such. With a new car the effect would be even more dramatic. As a consumer you would have an entitlement in most jurisdictions to a replacement if the camera or any of its major functions were DOA. If everyone were to do as you suggest, the camera business in-store would soon become a complete mess and dealers might just retreat to on-line business only.

William

The only thing to be sure is to get a receipt which is what is required by Leica to validate the warranty, just in case.

Battery is partially charged, you can insert a card, format it and take your first photo.

I opened the box of mine at the Wetzlar shop because I took opportunity to ask the Customer Service to show me how to clean the sensor and I have to say that Michel from CS did it in an excellent way on a demo model he had available. But I live in Italy and I wanted to take that opportunity so long I was in Wetzlar.

robert

I dont have a mistrust issue with leica and am sure that leica will honour their warranty. It is more about minimising service time if there was anything obvious.

Say something simple, if i tried the frame lines level and it didnt work, i could raise that straight away and they could swap the camera. If i left the shop and returned the next day with the issue, they might not swap the camera but send it in for repair: which could be days/weeks.

In essence, if my checks take minutes and i could minimise a potential days/weeks downtime: i would do that. Wouldnt everyone? Not out of mistrust but just to minimise the hassle.

• Like 1