More about cases

Pecole

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Since the thread started by "Romualdo" seems to have attracted some interest, I went through my Fontenelle collection archives to find image of "special" cases. Here is a first selection : the ESOOR case holds a Leica IIIc with SCNOO rapid winder attached.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

And why not to go on? the limit on volume of attached images prevented more on first, so I had to start again to show the EMTOO for Telyt 4.5/200 with PLOOT, the ETISY for an Hektor or Elmar 135 and an Elmar 35, and finally a curious piece composed of an ETRIN plus attached "tube" holding...what? . Anybody can help to find more details and possibly a code for this?

• Like 3

Thanks Pecole. I have the ever ready cases for the SCNOO and SYOOM (Leicavit), but I have never seen that external tube for attachment to an ETRIN. It is certainly more portable than the ETGAM which, while it can contain a lot more, is a blocky suitcase shape. The ETRIN also has some extra tabs to enable the tube to be held on its side. The Leica UK catalogue for 1933 lists an item called an ETISY which was for the 13.5 cm Hektor with either a 2.8cm Hektor or a 3.5cm Elmar. I suspect that this is what you have here. The tabs on the ETRIN and the holders on the ETISY may have been provided through a special order. There was also a similar item for the 7.3cm Hektor plus a wide angle lens called the ETOSA.

William

• Like 1

The external tube is certainly for an extra double cassetes holder DRXOO metal or cardboard, even there is room for one in the ETRIN
I have the red/magenta card board made for the 35 and 135 lens

• Like 2

Thanks JC. It seems that I was a bit confused. The item with the ETRIN is an external holder for FILCA cassettes. The item above it is the ETISY.  There is a line drawing of the ETISY in the 1933 catalogue. I had confused the two items as they have very similar shapes. I have the cardboard tube that takes FILCAs and fits inside the ETRIN.

William

Sorry, but I made an error in publishing my third "More about cases" (OMEXO "packing" and VORSA Stereoly case) under the initial thread "Barnack camera cases".

When reviewing the contribution by Willeica and the photos of pages of the von Einem book, I realized I had published a photo of a "high" case captioned EFGOO, very similar - in more modern - to the ESMIT (which, incidentally, is absent in the Dennis Laney listing). Now, to add to the confusion (or mine, at least), here is an image that wears the code ESMIT as caption in my archives, and is said to have come with a IIIf/Elmar 5cm and a FODIS.

HELP! I already had difficulties in sorting-naming all my cases when collecting (and much younger), but I confess I am now totally lost.

To use the space available, I also add a photo of another "high" case, captioned (?) EFOOD, and said suitable for Leica IIIc-IIIf with Summarit lens and VIOOH viewfinder.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It is very easy to get confused, as I did with the ETISY. The version of the ESMIT with the screw in holder in the base was the ESMOS introduced in 1933. The post war version, with a slightly greater width, was the ESOOG, introduced in 1949. I might add that while some cases appeared from time to time in Leica catalogues, there was often no illustration which might help identification. In addition, the cases were subject to a lot of variation in construction and design over time.

William

• Like 3

This morning, I propose the curious - if not rare - MBROO metallic case for leica IIIc - IIIf with Summitar or collapsible Summicron 50. I suspect I already published here something about long time ago, but did not check...

• Like 3

Thanks JC. It seems that I was a bit confused. The item with the ETRIN is an external holder for FILCA cassettes. The item above it is the ETISY.  There is a line drawing of the ETISY in the 1933 catalogue. I had confused the two items as they have very similar shapes. I have the cardboard tube that takes FILCAs and fits inside the ETRIN.

William

Here is the cardboard DRXOO

• Like 2

Well, frankly I did not, Jean-Claude. And I took a special pleasure in re-discovering the thread thanks to your link. Thank you.

I think it is good to keep coming back to these subjects and there is certainly material in this and other recent threads about early cases which did not appear in the earlier thread. I always find the postings by Pecole to be most educational.

William

• Like 2

This morning, I propose the curious - if not rare - MBROO metallic case for leica IIIc - IIIf with Summitar or collapsible Summicron 50. I suspect I already published here something about long time ago, but did not check...

attachicon.gifMBROO - a.jpg

attachicon.gifMBROO - d.jpg

attachicon.gifMBROO - h.jpg

attachicon.gifMBROO - 1.jpg

attachicon.gifMBROO avec Leica IIIf.jpg

Your photo's of the MBROO are great. Here is a drawerfull of mine.  I have two more that are apart for restoraion.  The gasket can be replaced with a soft durometer o-ring and RTV adhesive. The black "speckle" paint can be matched fairly closely, if needed.  I have not seen any variations amongst these metal water-resistant cases. All of mine are marked Germany on the back, and some are 3/8"baseplate screw and some are 1/4". There is a prototype in the Leitz museum.

• Like 5

my MBROO illustrated :

• Like 4