Summicron-R Bayonet Problem

Kimon

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have purchased a Summicron-R 1:2/50 to use on my Leica R4. However, I just realised that the male bayonet on the lens seems to have been swapped from the original R mount to a Sony Alpha mount (see attached image). 

Is it possible to purchase a male R bayonet so that I remove the Sony Alpha mount and use the lens on my R4? Where can I buy such a bayonet?

Thanks for your help and sorry if any of my questions are very obvious, as I am new to Leica SLRs.

Regards,

Kimon

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

From Leitax's site it looks as though the bayonet fitted replaces the original so without the original bayonet you cannot reverse the installation of the Sony one.

That's why I suggested that TS email the site owner, who may know of an alternative or solution that is not displayed on the website.

That's why I suggested that TS email the site owner, who may know of an alternative or solution that is not displayed on the website.

If the original bayonet is needed and is missing then there is only one solution - a spare bayonet (looks like other parts might be missing too). David (Leitax) might just have one but to make any lens bayonet fitting reversible it would need to be kept with the lens it was off, so its unlikely that they would sell it separately. Some Leitax bayonet adapters fit over the original bayonet which is retained on the lens but this does not seem to be the case here.

Edited by pgk

The lens seems to be missing the cams to make it work on the R. Best solution is as above, return it, or if it can't be returned for some reason then sell it on ebay to a Sony user.

As James points out, there are definitely things missing! Below is a quick shot of the rear of one of my Elmarit-R lenses for comparison.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

I have decided to return the lens to the ebay seller and ask for a refund. If the seller doesn't refund the item, I am covered by the ebay money-back guarantee, since the item was not described properly. 

Regarding the cams, since the lens is a Leitz Canada model for Leica R use only I believe that it only has a single "stepped" cam. This isn't visible in my original image since the Sony mount protrudes slightly.