Leica Pocket Book 9th Edition?

Etruscello

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This and the compendium by Erwin Puts (sadly missed) are very useful indeed. Love the books form factor as it’s easy to hold and review. Plus it fits into a small bag for travel. 

I would add that rather than keep adding new gear to the same volume, better to add addition volumes e.g. 2010-2015, 2025-2020 etc. 

Edited by rramesh

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, my copy is published 2018 and has lenses and cameras through 2018 with the last few years in a separate section towards the back of the book.  I am assuming this is the 9th edition although nothing says 9th.  The cover says "Leica Pocket Guide 1953-2018"    Suggest you go to Red Dot Cameras.  Great handbook!

7 hours ago, sarkleshark said:

Hi, my copy is published 2018 and has lenses and cameras through 2018 with the last few years in a separate section towards the back of the book.  I am assuming this is the 9th edition although nothing says 9th.  The cover says "Leica Pocket Guide 1953-2018"    Suggest you go to Red Dot Cameras.  Great handbook!

Leica Pocket Guide 1953-2018 is Erwin Puts' book. Leica Pocket Book by Red Dot Photo Books is a different book.

10 hours ago, sarkleshark said:

???

I'm still working on the 9th edition which will be an updated and corrected version of the 2012 / 8th edition.  

Stay tuned to the Red Dot cameras website for info when available.

Thanks for your continued patience (or semi-patience).

• Thanks 2

Erwin's Pocket Guide was a bit of a disappointment, far to many simple errors. I am sure, knowing Frank, his update of the Pocket Book will be excellent! That said you need a pretty big and strong pocket to carry the 8th Edition in!

• Like 1

On 2/24/2020 at 3:30 PM, FDS said:

Hi Tom and all those interested, 

Actually, we are working on the 9th edition of the Leica Pocket Book which will be published by Red Dot Cameras.  

Although my academic expertise is concerned with the history of Ernst Leitz of Wetzlar during WW2 (completed my PhD at University College of London on this topic), I have been proofreading and correcting errors in the 8th edition and am now, with great help from staff members at Leica in Wetzlar,  updating the listings of products and serial numbers.  It is quite a task but, hopefully, will be completed in 2021.  

Please stay tuned for notices from Ivor at Red Dot Cameras....

Best,

Frank

Frank, One important fact not included in the 8th Edition is the actual number of Telyt S 800/6.3 lenses manufactured i.e. just 109 examples; a Leica Forum member sent me documentary evidence (copy of Leitz letter) of actual production numbers shortly after I bought my example. Mine was demonstrated at TLS AGM 2015.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Leica Forum member jankap using Telyt S 800/6.3 at Lincoln TLS AGM 2015.

On RHS face obscured by lens hood is Nobby Clark who with Brian Bower, co-updated / re-wrote / edited the Leica Pocket Book 8th Edition published in 2012 - a massive undertaking. Nobby and Brian are both TLS members 

BW

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
additional info
  • Like 1

Many thanks, Dunk. That 800mm Telyt-S is indeed a 'Big Bertha'!!   And I'm very aware that I'm standing on the shoulders of Nobby and Brian in taking on this effort.  Very best,  Frank

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/20/2021 at 2:08 AM, SrMi said:

Leica Pocket Guide 1953-2018 is Erwin Puts' book. Leica Pocket Book by Red Dot Photo Books is a different book.

Confusingly, Erwin Puts also contributed lens reviews to the Hove (now Red Dot) Leica Pocket Book, or at least to the 7th edition I have. I assume these were still in the 8th edition and will be carried forward to the 9th?

• 1 year later...
11 hours ago, FDS said:

At long last, the 9th edition of the Leica Pocket Book (432 pages) has just gone to the printer and will be available very soon!

That's over 100 additional pages compared to the 8th Edition. Look forward to reading the reviews. 

12 hours ago, FDS said:

At long last, the 9th edition of the Leica Pocket Book (432 pages) has just gone to the printer and will be available very soon!

That's great news, Frank!

Do you happen to know whether it will also be produced in .pdf format that doesn't need printing and could be carried and viewed on smart phones that so many people carry with them?

Pete.

• Like 1