Leica Pocket Book 9th Edition?

Etruscello

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have the Leica Pocket Book 8th English Edition (2012) which outlines all photographic equipment up through the M9-P.

Will there be a 9th edition to update the catalog up through the M10 and 75mm f1.2?  When?

I'd appreciate any solid information one may have.  Thank you.  Tom

Hi Etruscello,

As it happens, we (Red Dot Cameras) have negotiated with Steynings photo books (the previous publishers) and now own the rights of the Leica Pocket Book. We are in the process of reprinting the 8th edition which has been out of print for some time which will be available very shortly.

We are working on a 9th edition to bring the Leica Pocket Book up to date, but this may take a couple of years to complete.

Best

RDC

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Hi Etruscello,

As it happens, we (Red Dot Cameras) have negotiated with Steynings photo books (the previous publishers) and now own the rights of the Leica Pocket Book. We are in the process of reprinting the 8th edition which has been out of print for some time which will be available very shortly.

We are working on a 9th edition to bring the Leica Pocket Book up to date, but this may take a couple of years to complete.

Best

RDC

Excellent! Please put me down for a copy of the 9th edition.

Pete.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/28/2020 at 8:08 AM, Wurlitzer1015 said:

Any news on edition 9?

Revised 9th edition is not being edited / written by Nobby Clark and Brian Bower … In October 2019 I asked Nobby if he was involved and he said, "No …" … and he also stated would be a mammoth task i.e. updating to include all the Leica cameras and lenses introduced since 2010/11.  

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
typo

5 hours ago, dkCambridgeshire said:

Revised 9th edition is not being edited / written by Nobby Clark and Brian Bower … In October 2019 I asked Nobby if he was involved and he said, "No …" … and he also stated would be a mammoth task i.e. updating to include all the Leica cameras and lenses introduced since 2010/11.  

Thanks for the update, I go ahead and buy edition 8.  Pity they decided against it but can appreciate that 10 years on the task would be huge.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tom and all those interested, 

Actually, we are working on the 9th edition of the Leica Pocket Book which will be published by Red Dot Cameras.  

Although my academic expertise is concerned with the history of Ernst Leitz of Wetzlar during WW2 (completed my PhD at University College of London on this topic), I have been proofreading and correcting errors in the 8th edition and am now, with great help from staff members at Leica in Wetzlar,  updating the listings of products and serial numbers.  It is quite a task but, hopefully, will be completed in 2021.  

Please stay tuned for notices from Ivor at Red Dot Cameras....

Best,

Frank

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, FDS said:

Hi Tom and all those interested, 

Actually, we are working on the 9th edition of the Leica Pocket Book which will be published by Red Dot Cameras.  

Although my academic expertise is concerned with the history of Ernst Leitz of Wetzlar during WW2 (completed my PhD at University College of London on this topic), I have been proofreading and correcting errors in the 8th edition and am now, with great help from staff members at Leica in Wetzlar,  updating the listings of products and serial numbers.  It is quite a task but, hopefully, will be completed in 2021.  

Best,

Frank

Welcome to the forum, Frank Dabba Smith!

I'm glad that you're involved in producing the 9th Edition.

Pete.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 2/5/2018 at 2:14 PM, Red Dot Cameras said:

On 2/24/2020 at 3:30 PM, FDS said:

Just curious if there is any news on this. I noticed that the 8th edition no longer seems to be listed at Red Dot (and third party sellers are asking crazy prices!). Is the 9th still on the way, or have recent events set this project back?

Any 9th Edition might cease to be a 'pocket' book. ... because so many cameras and lenses have been introduced since 2012 when the Hove/Steyning 8th Edition was published (pre- Red Dot edition). 

An 'Addendum' to the 8th Edition would be much easier and maybe cheaper ...  possibly in the form of a multi-ring binder and which includes only Leica cameras and lenses not described in the 8th Edition i.e. those introduced in recent years ... and which could be updated e.g. 3 yearly ... with further 'addenda' to be inserted into the multi-ring binder. 

dunk

• Like 1

Might want to drop the word 'pocket' at this point. The one I have, the 7th, just about qualifies, but the 8th was already pushing the limits of that definition! I suppose you could split off the 'traditional' LTM. R and M systems from the others and make it a separate volume. But in any case, I hope it's either reprinted or updated, as it was the last really affordable comprehensive guide as far as it went, now that people want crazy money for out of print volumes like the Laney Collector's Guide (it would be great if Red Dot could reprint that!). The Pocket Book also kept in print a concise version of the valuable lens reviews by Erwin Puts, who I see in the other thread has sadly passed away.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Anbaric said:

Might want to drop the word 'pocket' at this point. The one I have, the 7th, just about qualifies, but the 8th was already pushing the limits of that definition! I suppose you could split off the 'traditional' LTM. R and M systems from the others and make it a separate volume. But in any case, I hope it's either reprinted or updated, as it was the last really affordable comprehensive guide as far as it went, now that people want crazy money for out of print volumes like the Laney Collector's Guide (it would be great if Red Dot could reprint that!). The Pocket Book also kept in print a concise version of the valuable lens reviews by Erwin Puts, who I see in the other thread has sadly passed away.

Laney looney prices s/b taken with a 'pinch of salt'.

The 2nd edition of Laney comes up from time to time at a reasonable price (mine was about £50), but one sold on ebay this year for nearly £200 delivered. Not quite the £665 some chancer is asking on Amazon right now ('FREE delivery'!), but still very steep.