Filters

Tragg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I use a filter (Leica UV) on my 50 Summilux and B&W's on my other lenses (Canon, vintage Nikon, etc.). I use them primarily to preserve coating on the glass. Additionally, they provide peace of mind when shooting in adverse conditions.

All my images are processed through Lightroom as a base. I jump into Photoshop if I need to do heavy re-touching-or Alien Skin's Exposure 3 for fun film emulations. Last but not least, I use Silver Efex Pro 2 for extensive flexibility when working on a black and white image.

Edited by Whitford

On the balance of this thread I bought a B+W XS-PRO Clear with Multi-Resistant Nano Coating (007M)  for my 35mm Summicron. After using it for one day (in fairly rainy conditions) I just couldn't cope with the thought of cleaning it every time I used it. I have never bought a filter purely for lens protection before... but then I haven't had such an expensive lens as this before.

These filters are excellent imho and do not noticeably reduce image quality under any but the most extreme lighting conditions.

I generally use these or their UV equivalent on all of my lenses (with the exception of my LTMs, of course, where I use a hood or a vintage Leitz filter). Only on the occasions of buying new Leica lenses in a Leica Store, when getting some discount, I take Leica filters instead.

I give each lens a filter of its own, even if some share the same front diameter, so that I do not even have to dust off my front elements.

How would the UV/IR filter work for protection? I have them from my M 8.

Thanks

Just UV. Very minor optical effect (may reduce high altitude haze). Can be used nearly interchangeably with a plain clear filter. Protects from environmental conditions/ dust/ scratches same as clear filter.

My concern with front element protection, besides scratches, is with the microscopic grime from man made air pollution or even certain arboreal pollen, both of which can be quite aggressive chemically towards coatings.I was quite impressed on scrutinizing my filters after a few days in Delhi...

Kind regards

Edited by schattenundlicht
  • Like 1